• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks aren't planning to spend for coach

GameTime

Strong candidates for Hawks job will likely include Sam Mitchell, Utah assistant Ty Corbin, and Portland assistant Monty Williams.

Tyrone Corbin??? OH MY GOOD NIGHT FOLKS.... I still have bad memories of him playing here.

Tyrone Corbin was a solid ball player. He was a great defender and could knock down an open J on most nights. People always said small forward was the weakness of that team but it didnt take long to figure out getting Phonse was not the answer. Ultimate team player 1 and 2 baby. Its a shame Grant Long was a terrible announcer.

Which means theyre going to hire yet another inexperienced guy to be the head coach. That's no better than keeping Woody. I'm sick of guys who haven't proven squat. You fire a guy because you don't think he can get the team to the next level... Who do you hire next? Well, a guy that hasn't taken a team anywhere. Brilliant. These owners are f***ing clowns.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Which means theyre going to hire yet another inexperienced guy to be the head coach. That's no better than keeping Woody. I'm sick of guys who haven't proven squat. You fire a guy because you don't think he can get the team to the next level... Who do you hire next? Well, a guy that hasn't taken a team anywhere. Brilliant. These owners are f***ing clowns.

What? Did people expect Avery Johnson to come walking through that door?

If that tweer is even remotely true, then that means that Joe Johnson will be given a low ball offer ( due to his performance in the playoffs ), and we'll let him walk away for nothing . . . which was probably their plan all along.

The city, on the whole, love Jamal Crawford and his "tricky dribble", Hot Sauce crossovers, and his decision to shoot the ball as quick as possible. So it makes it easy for the team to transition from ISO-JOE to Inefficient-Craw.

I can see it now, Dan Majerle as the coach, trying to play Phoenix-style basketball with Teague as his non-shooting version of Steve Nash. Crawford will start, and be Jason Richardson . . Marvin will be Diaw . . Smoove will be allowed to shoot 3s again, and be Channing Frye . . and Al will be the new "Amare".

But hey . . this is what people wanted. Get Woody outta here, and bring in a YMCA coach if you have to. That's been the cry for 4 years now.

If that tweer is even remotely true, then that means that Joe Johnson will be given a low ball offer ( due to his performance in the playoffs ), and we'll let him walk away for nothing . . . which was probably their plan all along.

The city, on the whole, love Jamal Crawford and his "tricky dribble", Hot Sauce crossovers, and his decision to shoot the ball as quick as possible. So it makes it easy for the team to transition from ISO-JOE to Inefficient-Craw.

I can see it now, Dan Majerle as the coach, trying to play Phoenix-style basketball with Teague as his non-shooting version of Steve Nash. Crawford will start, and be Jason Richardson . . Marvin will be Diaw . . Smoove will be allowed to shoot 3s again, and be Channing Frye . . and Al will be the new "Amare".

But hey . . this is what people wanted. Get Woody outta here, and bring in a YMCA coach if you have to. That's been the cry for 4 years now.

Lon Kruger

Terry Stotts

Mike Woodson

????

It's going to be 4 inexperienced coaches in a row. This franchise makes the same msitakes over and over.

• Like 1

Calm down. Two words for you.

Collins. Jackson.

I'm remember the uproar when Collins was fired for Jackson. No name coach did alright for himself.

No Northcyde, your view is pretty extreme here. Only the pot smokers thought an expensive coach like Avery Johnson was gonna walk through that door.

What people have been crying for so far is:

An UPGRADE at coach (everyone knew we weren't gonna spend big on a new coach)

And a better offensive system

Most realists want Joe back (but only under a re-tooled offense). The people who want him to walk are the loud minority because of the implications of Joe doing so.

How Sund plans to do these things remains to be seen. But I will tell you one thing: Getting rid of Woodson was the first step in the right direction.

I saw this comment from a fan after reading the AJC article about Woodson.

Is this possible? This would be a good team.

1) Trade Marvin, Bibby, Zaza and future draft picks to the Grizz in a S&T for Hasheem Thabeet and Rudy Gay

2) Trade Mo Evans and our conditional 2nd rd draft pick that we got from Houston to the Pacers for A.J price.

3) Use the full MLE on Travis Outlaw

3) Resign Joe Johnson

4) Hire Sam Mitchell as HC

1st Unit:

Teague

Joe Johnson

Rudy Gay

Josh Smith

Al Horford

2nd Unit:

A.J Price

Jamal Crawford

Travis Outlaw

Gani Lawal (Draft)

Hasheem Thabeet

3rd Unit:

Mario West

Randolph Morris

Kyrolo Fesenko

Jason Collins

Id rather try to find the next great coach then hire some so so retread like JVG, Avery Johnson, Dwayne Casey, Sam Mitchell etc. Im fine with Dan Marjle or Tyrone Corbin. My 1st choice however would have be to bring Mike Woodson back and ship off some of the players on this team who are never held accountable for they're actions. Bring JJ back and add some pieces via the MLE or trade.

Edited by NJHAWK

• Premium Member

I saw this comment from a fan after reading the AJC article about Woodson.

Is this possible? This would be a good team.

1) Trade Marvin, Bibby, Zaza and future draft picks to the Grizz in a S&T for Hasheem Thabeet and Rudy Gay

2) Trade Mo Evans and our conditional 2nd rd draft pick that we got from Houston to the Pacers for A.J price.

3) Use the full MLE on Travis Outlaw

3) Resign Joe Johnson

4) Hire Sam Mitchell as HC

1st Unit:

Teague

Joe Johnson

Rudy Gay

Josh Smith

Al Horford

2nd Unit:

A.J Price

Jamal Crawford

Travis Outlaw

Gani Lawal (Draft)

Hasheem Thabeet

3rd Unit:

Mario West

Randolph Morris

Kyrolo Fesenko

Jason Collins

Why would Memphis want to eat Bibby's contract? and why would they want Marvin or Zaza (they are deep at center). Great trade for us but I don't see why Memphis would want to do this.

Why would Memphis want to eat Bibby's contract? and why would they want Marvin or Zaza (they are deep at center). Great trade for us but I don't see why Memphis would want to do this.

That's what I was thinking. I was hoping some would could give me a good reason why Memphis would want this. I saw it from a comment and was hoping someone could tell me.

O well. That would be very nice, though. :blow out candles:

We've seen continued reports the whole time that the ownership isn't willing to spend on anything. They maintain that they're free to spend as they wish.

When you look at the facts, it seems to me like they've spent pretty freely, and I see no reason to assume that they'll cheap out on a coach. They've paid up for players when they didn't have to, they offered JJ a fat deal last offseason, they brought in Bibby and Crawford's contracts when they didn't have to, etc.

I don't know what coaches would actually want the job, but other than persistent rumors, what evidence is there that the owners don't want to spend for a quality product?

Of course I'm referring purely to the Hawks, it's pretty evident that they don't care about the Thrashers.

Calm down. Two words for you.

Collins. Jackson.

I'm remember the uproar when Collins was fired for Jackson. No name coach did alright for himself.

Riiiiiight . . . .

I mean, because Woody had a Michael Jordan like player here, and his successor had one too.

Instead of using a situation like a coach coming in, and taking over a team still on the rise with the best player in the NBA, how about this situation:

Detroit fires Flip Saunders . . . hires Michael Curry.

Saunders had so-called "gotten the Pistons as far as he could", so Dumars makes a change and elevates Michael Curry to head coach.

Then Dumars has a brilliant idea to trade Billups for Allen Iverson. ( kind of like how this team is about to transition from JJ's squad, to Crawford's squad )

Iverson struggles, and Curry is to blame for the team's woes . . so they fire him after one year.

So what's the more likely scenario:

- an assistant coach taking control of the Hawks with a re-signed JJ, and improving us so much, that we make a NBA Finals appearance in his 1st year?

- or an assistant coach that has to take over a team that has lost its best player, and has major problems in his 1st year trying to get the team to buy into his coaching philosophies?

Will you, as a fan, be satisfied with the Hawks, if we were able to re-sign JJ, but only won 45 games and secured a #6 seed next year?

Between Monty Williams, Ty Corbin, Thunder Dan and Sam Mitchell...my favorite is Sam Mitchell. The guy did an awesome job in Toronto. If I'm not mistaken he won coach of the year one year. Very hard worker as a player and a coach. Second from that list I guess Thunder Dan, like someone said if we wanna run. The other 2 guys, Monty and Ty.....please no..for the love of God. I love Sund for his first move of getting rid of Woody so quickly, it gives us a chance to have our pick of the litter. Also, I don't really trust that twitter. I feel like Gearon will open his pockets for a good coach. He knows we have talent, and he knows Woody couldn't coach worth crap. I have a feeling we go after the big dogs, Avery Johnson, Byron Scott, and Jeff Van Gundy. Just my thoughts.

Edited by Spud2Nique

If JJ choooses to jump ship and sign elsewhere, I don't think putting Craws in the starting line-up would hurt us all that bad - in the regular season. We may not win 53 with the same cast of characters (minus Joe) but we will be middle of the road in the EC...enough to be in the playoffs. I think Horf's steady improvement is going to continue and he's going to follow up with another all-star appearance. But the playoffs, it's a different game. I don't think we're improving our chances of competing in the playoffs by putting the ball in Craws hands...not if we are going for a ring.