• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

In the absence of an overwhelmingly perfect choice for HC, which supposed candidate ABSOLUTELY REPULSES YOU?

sturt

• Premium Member

Are there any whose name you read or hear and say, "PLEASE NOT HIM!"

I guess I'd have that reaction to Calipari, whose name I saw in the Peachtree Hoops blog-icle. But really, other than him, there's not a name that's been floated so far that I couldn't see some good rationale for hiring... even though I hasten to add, there's also not a name that is without warts which prevents him from being "the" right choice.

Edited by sturt

I guess I'd have that reaction to Calipari, whose name I saw in the Peachtree Hoops blog-icle. But really, other than him, there's not a name that's been floated so far that I couldn't see some good rationale for hiring... even though I hasten to add, there's also not a name that is without warts which prevent him from being "the" right choice.

John Calipari would be the worst possible candiate, IMO. To me, he's a horrible X's and O's coach that is a great recruiter at the college level (though I do feel he is a dirty recruiter at the college level). He is a coach that will only do well when his team is markedly more talented than his competition. He would be an extremely poor choice, IMO.

One name that I wouldn't want to see in conjunction with this job is Jeff Van Gundy. Yes, he's experienced, and his name doesn't repulse me, but he's just a bad fit for this team. I am a defense first guy, and so is JVG, but he's not the coach you want coaching a group of young players who are athletic. JVG is very much a slow the pace coach.

• Premium Member

Let me add Doug Collins to that list. How many chances does this guy get? He hasn't won since he coached the Bulls in the '80s, and his success there was dwarfed by Phil Jackson's success after him.

Doug Collins has proven he is definitely not a good coach. It would really feel like a kick in the stomach if we hired this guy.

I guess I'd have that reaction to Calipari, whose name I saw in the Peachtree Hoops blog-icle. But really, other than him, there's not a name that's been floated so far that I couldn't see some good rationale for hiring... even though I hasten to add, there's also not a name that is without warts which prevents him from being "the" right choice.

-Any inexperienced head coach. I don't care who he is. If he doesn't even have 2 years of head coaching experience keep him away.

-Any college coach. These guys are supposed to pushing little boys around. When that power is taken away from them they got nothing.

-Any coach like Woodson. Which goes hand and hand with comment number 1.

-Any coach that has questionable sub patterns or weak offensive minds.

-Any inexperienced head coach. I don't care who he is. If he doesn't even have 2 years of head coaching experience keep him away.

-Any college coach. These guys are supposed to pushing little boys around. When that power is taken away from them they got nothing.

So no Doc Rivers

So no Doc Rivers

Before they went out and bought him two pieces of the big three to go with long suffering Pierce, what had Doc done good with the Celtics? Woody could have won with that roster.

Before they went out and bought him two pieces of the big three to go with long suffering Pierce, what had Doc done good with the Celtics? Woody could have won with that roster.

Okay and he has a ring and could win another one. He's beat the Cavs. In order to win titles, you need the talent. I know you were taking a shot at Woody but it really wasn't a shot at all.

Okay and he has a ring and could win another one. He's beat the Cavs. In order to win titles, you need the talent. I know you were taking a shot at Woody but it really wasn't a shot at all.

Doc Rivers, to me, is an average coach. He has a couple of great assistants up there in Boston with him though. Tom Thibodeau is a great defensive mind who came up with great game plans for defending LeBron James in the playoffs. Armond Hill has done a fantastic job developing Rajon Rondo, who was really the difference maker in the Cavs series.

Dwayne Casey. The last thing I want in Sund to let Woody go just to do a favor for one of his Cronies.

Most GM's are going to hire people they have had an association with in the past. I don't think it is cronyism. I think it is simply a case of going with what you know vs going what with what you don't know.

Casey, Corbin, Monty Williams, Marjerle. Pretty much everyone's name mentioned so far makes me sick, yet is an upgrade over Woody. :temperature:

One name that I wouldn't want to see in conjunction with this job is Jeff Van Gundy. Yes, he's experienced, and his name doesn't repulse me, but he's just a bad fit for this team. I am a defense first guy, and so is JVG, but he's not the coach you want coaching a group of young players who are athletic. JVG is very much a slow the pace coach.

He coached that way in Houston due to the Yao Ming.

However, in NY he ran this lineup:

Ward / Childs - 6'1''

Houston 6'6''

Sprewell 6'5''

LJ 6'7''

Camby 6'11'' and 220 lbs playing center

That Knicks team was as run and gun as you can get. He does not have just one coaching philosphy. He coaches based on the strength of his roster. He swept pur Hawks in 4 games b/c 36 year old Ty Corbin could not keep up with a young Sprewell. Smitty's knees were shot and that style took Mutumbo out of the game. Grant Long and Chris Crawford looked like out best players in that series. Chris Crawford was the only guy on the roster who could run with the Knicks that year. Of course Babcock over reacted and gave Crawford an inflated contract after that series.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

Doug Collins is the favorite to get the Sixers' job. All the experienced guys will be out of the Hawks' price range.

So, if the Hawks are going with an assistant, I think Majerle would be the worst pick because he's such an unknown.

• Premium Member

Doug Collins is the favorite to get the Sixers' job. All the experienced guys will be out of the Hawks' price range.

So, if the Hawks are going with an assistant, I think Majerle would be the worst pick because he's such an unknown.

All?

You don't regard Dwayne Casey as "experienced?" Avery Johnson?

Anywho.... no one is repulsed by Lawrence Frank if he gets an interview?

• Premium Member

I'm gonna thumbs-up this generic filter that Hots used as well. Anyone who fits the above description is going to turn my stomach. We have done all of that. Tired of it. When is the last time we went out and got a REAL coach? Lenny Wilkens...freaggin 18 years ago!!!

Can we move forward and drop the cash for a real coach? I don't want to "see" what a new HC has got anymore than I want to "see" what a lottery pick will do for us next year. We are past that phase.

...and if there is a must avoid candidate out there, it's Doug Collins for me.