• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Draft/Trade Idea: Smoove for Cousins?

vdunkndunk

Chad Ford's most recent mock draft has Cousins dropping to the Warriors, and I remember there were a lot of rumors that the Warriors liked Josh Smith for their small ball, running style of play. So what about putting together a package where we trade Smoove for Cousins? (Not sure how to work that out from a salary perspective, but for now I'm assuming they could find a way to get it done if both sides were agreeable.)

Here's my argument for why we'd want to do this: Cousins measured in at 6'11 with a huge wingspan and a 9'5 standing reach, which, according to Ford, is basically the same as Dwight Howard, Greg Oden, and Brook Lopez. Hollinger's computer system also ranks Cousins as the number 1 prospect in this draft (and it seems to me from following the draft the last few years that Hollinger's system is pretty good--not perfect, but probably a little better than the actual draft order in terms of predicting future performance). So in Cousins we have a legit center who is huge, long, fairly athletic, strong, and young, with a ton of upside.

To me, this may be our best and only legitimate shot at landing a real big young talented center anytime soon. And I'd love to see Horford at PF with Cousins at C--I think then we'd have an athleticism AND size advantage almost every night at both positions, instead of just a quickness and athleticism advantage. Josh Smith is a great player, and this would be a risky move, but right now the best teams in the league have a considerable size advantage over us inside, I'd like to see Horford move to PF, and I can't see Josh Smith as an effective SF because that would emphasize his weaknesses and take him away from his strengths.

Thoughts?

I certainly like the idea of this trade and in order to make it happen they'd likely have to give up either Ellis or Maggette or a package of several bench type players. I could see them possibly being willing to give up Ellis though due to all of the drama last year and the fact that Curry is a stud who is probably better suited to playing alongside a defensive minded guard.

I posted this last week and got a 50/50 response. Some folks had some bad things to say about Cousins when I asked about him. Most detractors said we didnt have the window to wait for him to develope. IMO though his size and skill set are worth the risk. If he turns into the kind of player he has the P word to be he will be much more valuable to a team in the nba than Josh Smiths roller coaster ride is. Its a risk but especially if JJ bolts we may have to take a step back to jump forward in a couple years. Having Cousins at C and Horford at F is a great start. Im not talking about full scale rebuild because I think Cousins can contribute right away even if all he does at 1st is man the paint, play d and rebound.

I'd have to have some detailed background checks and interviews with Cousins. His work ethic and character issues must be addressed. He seemed to come into the combine out of shape.

If his back ground checks and interviews are adequate I would take a swing with such a trade. A 9'5'' standing reach with his skill level are 2 elite traits that cannot be ignored.

Edited by coachx

I posted this last week and got a 50/50 response. Some folks had some bad things to say about Cousins when I asked about him. Most detractors said we didnt have the window to wait for him to develope. IMO though his size and skill set are worth the risk. If he turns into the kind of player he has the P word to be he will be much more valuable to a team in the nba than Josh Smiths roller coaster ride is. Its a risk but especially if JJ bolts we may have to take a step back to jump forward in a couple years. Having Cousins at C and Horford at F is a great start. Im not talking about full scale rebuild because I think Cousins can contribute right away even if all he does at 1st is man the paint, play d and rebound.

I missed the earlier post, so sorry to post it again, but I'm glad to see that others would consider it--trading Josh Smith will always be controversial and hard to do, since when he's on he's a great player and exciting to watch, but in a case like this I think it's worth the risk.

• Premium Member

Only thing I can say is if you had Smoove in college how dominant would he have been? I see these guys and say ho-hum, because I've seen Josh do it on the pro-level.

Good point. Smoove would've been a #1 pick if he went to college. He would've had a great season based on athleticism alone. Just look at Favors right now. The strange part about it all is that he would have probably been projected as a SF even though he would've been extremely raw after just one year of college.

I certainly like the idea of this trade and in order to make it happen they'd likely have to give up either Ellis or Maggette or a package of several bench type players. I could see them possibly being willing to give up Ellis though due to all of the drama last year and the fact that Curry is a stud who is probably better suited to playing alongside a defensive minded guard.

Do it. I think it is a rare opportunity and if we get someone else in the deal . . . . do it.

Smoove for Biedrens and the 6th pick

Why would we need Beidrens if we land Cousins?

We lose Joe as a FA then trade Smoove for Cousins and Ellis. I would make that deal.

And I would to but I doubt GS would. Maggette is probably the best we would get.

Cousins won't be dropping past pick 4.

There is a chance, T'Wolves might select Johnson who they rate highly. Aminu has elite potential and would great with Evans. Cousins might slip.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Its a hell of a risk but as tough as it is to get a top young center in this league now you almost have to make this deal especially if your scouts think he will pan out. Most guys his size these days want to shoot 3's lol. This is a guy with the size and skill set to own the paint and the glass most nights. I only saw him in the tourney and was stunned that KY didnt just keep dumping it into him vs W.V. and go inside out instead of just jacking 3's. I even like this deal if JJ comes back and JJ may like it as well. Maybe if we give them Smoove and 24 for Cousins and Ellis? ( havent checked salaries)

Ellis/Bibby/Teague

JJ/Craw

Cousins/ZaZa

Marvin/Mo or FA

Horford/Joe Smith

We won't need Cousins and instead can go after a SG to replace Joe if he leaves.

exactly we could even make other moves like Bibby and Marvin for Arenas

trade down with Houston for battier #6 , Zaza+ Mo for Battier and Houstons #14

AND STILL have the ability to resign JJ

and still pursue someone with our MLE frontline bangers off the bench like Craig Smith and a big that can shoot or even other possibilities .

Biedrens/Mle

Al/ Mle

Battier/JJ

JJ ?/Craw

Arenas/JT

Boy, I would have to think hard about this and would probably do it even though Josh has been my favorite player on the team since he was drafted.

I feel the same way. Cousins scares me a bit though. Would be better if the team had a real veteran leader to whip him into shape - I am thinking someone like a KG to make sure he gives maximum effort.

Chad Ford's most recent mock draft has Cousins dropping to the Warriors, and I remember there were a lot of rumors that the Warriors liked Josh Smith for their small ball, running style of play. So what about putting together a package where we trade Smoove for Cousins? (Not sure how to work that out from a salary perspective, but for now I'm assuming they could find a way to get it done if both sides were agreeable.)

Here's my argument for why we'd want to do this: Cousins measured in at 6'11 with a huge wingspan and a 9'5 standing reach, which, according to Ford, is basically the same as Dwight Howard, Greg Oden, and Brook Lopez. Hollinger's computer system also ranks Cousins as the number 1 prospect in this draft (and it seems to me from following the draft the last few years that Hollinger's system is pretty good--not perfect, but probably a little better than the actual draft order in terms of predicting future performance). So in Cousins we have a legit center who is huge, long, fairly athletic, strong, and young, with a ton of upside.

To me, this may be our best and only legitimate shot at landing a real big young talented center anytime soon. And I'd love to see Horford at PF with Cousins at C--I think then we'd have an athleticism AND size advantage almost every night at both positions, instead of just a quickness and athleticism advantage. Josh Smith is a great player, and this would be a risky move, but right now the best teams in the league have a considerable size advantage over us inside, I'd like to see Horford move to PF, and I can't see Josh Smith as an effective SF because that would emphasize his weaknesses and take him away from his strengths.

Thoughts?

There is a reason the Atlanta sports scene is poor. Half of it is fans and the other half is ownership and gms. Some of you probably wanted to get rid of Nique when he was here too. (I know...NOBODY here did...YOU LIE!!)

why in the hell do someone wants to draft off of potential. Look at Marvin...look at Oden (and b4 you say, Oden can't stay healthy, when he is, he is still just mediocre and isn't a real factor). Ya'll (not generalizing, but if the shoe fits...) "fans" change so quickly. Josh had a bad offseason and want to trade a "potential" All-Star for a "potential' contributor. We might as well trade Josh for Blatche or McGee or Biedrens or Hill or Jordan for all "potential" in Cousins. Get real.

There is a reason the Atlanta sports scene is poor. Half of it is fans and the other half is ownership and gms. Some of you probably wanted to get rid of Nique when he was here too. (I know...NOBODY here did...YOU LIE!!)

why in the hell do someone wants to draft off of potential. Look at Josh...Look at Marvin...look at Oden (and b4 you say, Oden can't stay healthy, when he is, he is still just mediocre and isn't a real factor). Ya'll (not generalizing, but if the shoe fits...) "fans" change so quickly. Josh had a bad offseason and want to trade a "potential" All-Star for a "potential' contributor. We might as well trade Josh for Blatche or McGee or Biedrens or Hill or Jordan for all "potential" in Cousins. Get real.

1. Corrected. Guess you forgot that Josh Smith was drafted off of potential?

2. I'm guessing you mean bad post-season and not bad off-season? Ever hear that history has a way of repeating itself and if you don't learn from the past you're doomed to repeat it? Well that's how many of us feel about Josh Smith as we've seen his pouting act for 6 years now and while I'm sure most of us like Josh Smith a lot we're also able to see that when he goes into those spells where he is lazy, whines to officials, and gives very little effort that it infects the entire team in a negative way. Granted when he's playing great he can infect the team with so much positivity that it helps but as far as I see it I'd rather have someone a little less "bi-polar" in their play.

3. No matter how much they want it we're unlikely to ever win a championship with Al and Smoove starting at the 4/5 and I'd be willing to bet that if you took a poll among the players, coaches, management, ownership, etc. of the team that they'd choose Al over Smoove for the long run.

This board is truly batty. To think of trading Josh for cousins? Well it would take Cousins AND Ellis or Randolph. Cousins is a project in the NBA.

P.S. Favors has much more to offer than Cousins.

Edited by Swatguy