• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What to do with Bibby?

mrhonline

• Premium Member

Coach Drew has implied:

1. Teague's minutes will increase significantly.

2. He wants the Hawks to attack.

3. Players will be expected to defend their man and will not be able to rely on the switching defense.

If you ask me, Bibby MUST be traded if Joe leaves. Even if Joe returns, I think you still have to consider moving him. Do you guys agree?

To preempt the "he's unmovable" argument:

a. We all recognize that the Hawks would have to take back a contract equally as poor.

b. 2 years, $12M isn't *that* bad.

c. There are teams that could use a veteran PG off the bench (e.g., Chicago).

(EDIT: In Bibby's defense, it seems that Drew might use him in pick-and-rolls with Smith).

Edited by mrhonline

• Premium Member

I'd honestly move Bibby for about anything assuming we'd bring in a veteran PG somewhere to backup Teague. Bibby would probably be better off playing for a team like the Lakers where they don't need him to penetrate and his shooting would be valued.

• Premium Member

I'm not understanding why WE don't need a veteran PG off the bench? Hopefully we could trade him for a guy who's a leader in the locker room, experienced, and a clutch shooter. Oh wait....

The only one of those the Hawks lack if they move Bibby is clutch (perimeter) shooting. Most of the young guys are not so young anymore and certainly are experienced. Horford is the locker room leader. I have my suspicions that Evans might be, too.

Bibby's role with the Hawks as a spot-up shooter greatly reduces his worth to the Hawks. There are teams that could absorb that $12M a lot easier than Atlanta.

I'd keep Bibby.

If the Hawks move him next season I hope it is close to the trade deadline and not this summer.

I know Bibby isn't a quick as he used to be but do you guys remember how much better this team was after he joined? It was like night and day. We're going to need his leadership on the floor and his passing skills will only be more beneficial in a motion offence. I truly believe he's embraced the mentorship role with Teague as well.

Also, isn't he kind of cheap (relatively speaking)?

• Premium Member
We're going to need his leadership on the floor and his passing skills will only be more beneficial in a motion offence. I truly believe he's embraced the mentorship role with Teague as well.

Good points, both.

I have a feeling the Hawks will keep him around for at least this year to bridge the transition over to Teague. His value as a veteran on an expiring contract (or VEC, for short) in 2011 would be solid. That is, if there's a season in 2011.

I suppose Evans is this year's VEC.

Good points, both.

I have a feeling the Hawks will keep him around for at least this year to bridge the transition over to Teague. His value as a veteran on an expiring contract (or VEC, for short) in 2011 would be solid. That is, if there's a season in 2011.

I suppose Evans is this year's VEC.

I like Bibby coming off the bench. And there is always a injury risk in which we may need him to fill in a few games as a starter for. For those who want a better bench, trading Bibby would weaken our bench IMO.

Nocioni

Diop

JR Smith if he's gone full JR Ryder.

Jason Maxiell

Vujacic

Pietrus or Bass

Webster

Those are the individual "bad" contracts I can think of that fit Bibby's salary slot. I don't agree he absolutely has to be moved but his value aint gonna increase staying here either. I guess as with every other player, we'll just have to wait and see how he's implemented in the new system.

Coach Drew has implied:

1. Teague's minutes will increase significantly.

2. He wants the Hawks to attack.

3. Players will be expected to defend their man and will not be able to rely on the switching defense.

If you ask me, Bibby MUST be traded if Joe leaves. Even if Joe returns, I think you still have to consider moving him. Do you guys agree?

To preempt the "he's unmovable" argument:

a. We all recognize that the Hawks would have to take back a contract equally as poor.

b. 2 years, $12M isn't *that* bad.

c. There are teams that could use a veteran PG off the bench (e.g., Chicago).

(EDIT: In Bibby's defense, it seems that Drew might use him in pick-and-rolls with Smith).

dont assume this means Teague will be the starting PG..I dont think he will start right away and he shouldnt..he hasnt really proven anything yet. And lets say he is a bust(i dont think he is, but you never know) then you wanna have someone like Bibby, who knows the system and the players there just incase. Teague minutes may increase but that doesnt mean Drew will start him..so talks of trading Bibby is kind of pointless at this point unless you mean for another PG but he couldnt bring back anything much better so i'd keep him..especially if you tryna keep Joe Johnson

Nocioni

Diop

JR Smith if he's gone full JR Ryder.

Jason Maxiell

Vujacic

Pietrus or Bass

Webster

Those are the individual "bad" contracts I can think of that fit Bibby's salary slot. I don't agree he absolutely has to be moved but his value aint gonna increase staying here either. I guess as with every other player, we'll just have to wait and see how he's implemented in the new system.

I think his value will only increase in his last contract year. Most on this board think our bench is weak, trading Bibby and not getting a PG somehow, someway to fill his slot will make us just that much weaker. Making a deal for such a PG will require more than Bibby this season IMO. I could be wrong though.

A team like Minny might would swap us Bibby for Sessions ( maybe filler needed, dont know what Sessions is getting this season) if they want a vet to help out with their young team and at the sametime aquire a shorter contract.

It makes you wonder though....did Bibby only make us look good because Mike Woodson had no offensive gameplan whatsoever? Bibby acted like the coach on the floor on the offensive end making sure everyone is in the right spots. Woodson didn't care and had no clue about the offensive end but LD sounds like he does. Now that we have Drew, who supposedly will run an actual offense..... does Bibby's value on our team lessen since his greatest strength on our team is his ability to make sure everyone was doing their job in the offensive end.

we have a guy(joe) who wants to leave and you guys want to keep and this guy seems want to stay and y'all want him gone? specially one of our leader? bibby can help probably by just staying on the bench. bibby probably has more value to us than other teams to them.

• Premium Member

I wouldn't trade Bibby simply because sometimes moving the ball from side to side just doesn't work. We need to keep that aspect of our offense where we can hit an open shot from outside. I think Bibby is great coming off the bench. Secondly, we don't know what the defensive scheme will be so I wouldn't be so quick to predict that.

• Moderators

I'd like Bibby to become a mini-Trent Tucker, somebody you could dust off at the end of quarters purely as a three-point threat. A DH for threes, if you will.

I recall reading somewhere he has interest in moving on to player development/coaching, and if T-Lue can do it, what the heck? And why wait? He can retire early and learn the tricks of the trade from Larry.

~lw3

Am I the only person who thinks that Bibby won't be okay with taking the backseat for a young point guard that is questionable on how ready he is to be a starter? I think if we're putting Teague in the lineup, might as well trade Bibby just to avoid any more locker room problems.

• Premium Member

I think Mike is smart enough to know his days as a starter are (or should be) over. His problem is like most NBA players: they just get too old to defend their position. That is exactly why I want him moved. He simply can not defend his position.