• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What to do with Bibby?

mrhonline

Bibby is noticeably slipping, that much is for sure. He's gotten much slower as he's gotten older, and probably shouldn't be a starting PG for a playoff caliber team with higher aspirations in its sights (and I realize that the same thing could be said for a highly inexperienced near-rookie like Teague, but that's neither here nor there. Teague represents the future, while Bibb's best playing days are well behind him). But I agree with all those who think we should keep him, and for the reasons they've stated. Bibby at the very least provides a great insurance policy for this team, as one who *could* start as needed, or as a very valuable back-up should Teague assume a starting spot at any point this season. Bibby offers outside shooting, valuable and experienced depth and a very high basketball intelligence, he seems a good influence and a positive presence on the team so far as being all in it and on-board with everyone else, and you just weigh all his plusses against his minuses, and that leaves me seeing virtually no compelling reason to trade him at this time.

His contract is not the best, given his age and diminishing skills, but it's not *that* horrible either, and is something we can easily live with. And his playing skills are still there for the most part. He's just older and slower, but he's not even close to being remotely bad enough to where trading him would be a matter of addition by subtraction for us. The guy can still play, and hopefully his play will become even more effective as his minutes slowly get reduced as the transition is made to the future. And I agree that he would probably be even more valuable as trade bait next year when he's an expiring contract, and at that time we will hopefully (meaning we'd damn well better!) have more clarity regarding Jeff Teague and exactly where we're at with the whole point guard position.

So long story short, I'm all for keeping him.

If Drew lives up to his word, Bibby could be an intricate part to our success next season. The ball movement should really help his three point shooting and could be devastating off the bench.

As long as Teague gets the majority of the minutes, Bibby could have some value.

• Moderators

Am I the only person who thinks that Bibby won't be okay with taking the backseat for a young point guard that is questionable on how ready he is to be a starter? I think if we're putting Teague in the lineup, might as well trade Bibby just to avoid any more locker room problems.

At this stage of his career, I perceive Mike as valuing his comfort level as a modestly paid veteran in an NBA locker room, and his capacity to mentor a young upstart, above any egotistical allusions that he must remain a starting point guard ad infinitum. He may also recognize that "demanding a trade" and having the league-wide value necessary to justify a trade are different things.

Given the choice, I'd venture to guess that he and his posse would rather remain in Atlanta than starting anew and trying to cling to a starting gig in, say, Memphis or Charlotte.

~lw3

At this stage of his career, I perceive Mike as valuing his comfort level as a modestly paid veteran in an NBA locker room, and his capacity to mentor a young upstart, above any egotistical allusions that he must remain a starting point guard ad infinitum. He may also recognize that "demanding a trade" and having the league-wide value necessary to justify a trade are different things.

Given the choice, I'd venture to guess that he and his posse would rather remain in Atlanta than starting anew and trying to cling to a starting gig in, say, Memphis or Charlotte.

~lw3

Yeah, I really don't think Mike feels that way. Mike said himself he wants to get into coaching and just last year he would work overtime with Teague just to help him with his jumpers.

• Premium Member

All I know is that bibby and defense should NEVER be in the same sentence. Also he should NEVER EVER play over 30 minutes again, unless its an emergency..

Totally agree. He's horrible on defense at this point and frankly is nothing more than an overpaid backup. Or should be.

Trade high, not low. We can get good value for Bibby next year when he will be an expiring contract. Bibby would be a solid 20 mpg PG off the bench..........I just hope Teague can earn the other 28....anything more then that is gravy in terms of my aspirations for Teague's 2nd year.

Edited by coachx

Bibby is still valuable. I think his decline from two years ago is exagerrated. AJ comes in for Orlando and gives them important minutes off the bench. Is AJ better than Bibby? Hell no.

AJ played in 31 games for the Magic last year and averaged 13 minutes.

• Premium Member

I'd like Bibby to become a mini-Trent Tucker, somebody you could dust off at the end of quarters purely as a three-point threat. A DH for threes, if you will.

I recall reading somewhere he has interest in moving on to player development/coaching, and if T-Lue can do it, what the heck? And why wait? He can retire early and learn the tricks of the trade from Larry.

~lw3

The thing is that Bibby is a coaches Son. He knows the game. Some say that he can be assistant coach and I would say he has been holding that post unofficially for the last 2 years. However, I think he is like an older Sam Cassell who played for Boston a few years back. He wasn't really a bad player but his time to sit had come and he embraced working with the young guys.

• Premium Member

If Drew lives up to his word, Bibby could be an intricate part to our success next season. The ball movement should really help his three point shooting and could be devastating off the bench.

As long as Teague gets the majority of the minutes, Bibby could have some value.

In the offense that Drew is describing with Ball movement, etc... I wouldn't be surprised to see some minime sets.. with Bibby playing OG.