• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Update From Sekou

KB21

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/07/03/silence-is-golden-for-johnson/

After speaking with someone in Johnson’s camp late Friday, it’s clear that he’s in the final stages of completing an agreement with the Hawks and not checking out other options. Any delay is simply posturing. The prospect of walking away from an extra $30 million (in the sixth year of the deal he can only get from the Hawks without a sign-and-trade agreement) is simply not a n option, according to the person in Johnson’s camp.

This was just another case of ESPN trying to stir up interest by creating a story out of thin air. Did anyone seriously think Joe would turn down $30 million to go play in New York? If Joe went to New York, he would have less chance of winning even if they do sign Amare as well, and he will make less money in the process. New York with Joe and Amare might win 35 games next year depending upon what they do to fill out the rest of that pathetic roster.

• Like 1

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/07/03/silence-is-golden-for-johnson/

This was just another case of ESPN trying to stir up interest by creating a story out of thin air. Did anyone seriously think Joe would turn down $30 million to go play in New York? If Joe went to New York, he would have less chance of winning even if they do sign Amare as well, and he will make less money in the process. New York with Joe and Amare might win 35 games next year depending upon what they do to fill out the rest of that pathetic roster.

Good find KB

• Premium Member
Hawks executives, who offered Johnson a fully guaranteed deal for six-years and $120 million immediately upon the start of free agency at 12:01 a.m. Thursday, have waited patiently while Johnson enjoys the free-agent recruiting process. But at some point, the team will need an answer so it can pursue a viable replacement, sources said.

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/22956309?source=rss_blogs_NBA

I was thinking the same thing....

How can someone risk that much money on a game of "CHANCE"... Last I can remember neither of these free agents took home a ring last year. And most of these teams aren't two Superstars away from winning it all. It will take much more. The only scenario that scares me is D Wade to Chicago.... That would be vicious! Joe will be back in Atlanta and hopefully we can make a trade to either upgrade the SF position or get a good "Bench BIG". Other than that I think we have the best shot at a ring for JOE and we are offering the most money.... WIN WIN situation

LOL. this is so true!...............its sad you cant even trust ESPN all the time...............JJ hurry and commit to signing so the LD and Sund can continue with their off season task. I beilieve Chillz is next to be dealt with!

Please excuse my ignorance. I am a casual fan of the Hawks. I live in South Florida (X 20 years) but I can not shake me allegiance to Atlanta and its teams. I visit forum often but rarely comment.

I have supported the JJ offer, despite the cost to the Hawks' cap. However, all the recent media criticism and speculation has left me wondering whether it might be a mistake. If I were an owner, I would make this offer only to a player that truly wants to stay in ATL. From the sound of most media outlets, JJ is holding onto this offer as a backup plan. If that is the case, then the owners should pull the offer and work a trade to improve the front court.

Sekou writes that the hang up is more of a contractual matter. If that is so, what is the issue? The owners have already given him the maximum amount of money. What else is there to offer in a contract? I need some help understanding this confusion. Here are some of my guesses of what might be happening and how I would approach the matter. I'd appreciate some comments to help me clear this up.

1. JJ is waiting to see where other FA's are signing: He may be negotiating with another team and waiting for them to finalize negotiations with other FA's, like Bosh, James or Wade. This makes me wary. If he is going to get the max, he needs to be a true leader for the team. Why hold the offer for a guy that is hedging his bets? A max player should be confident in his abilities and the future of his team. If he has doubts, then maybe he is not the player the Hawks should be courting.

2. JJ's agent has a problem with the contract's wording. This is a matter that should have already been worked out. If this is the hang up, then the fault rests with the Spirit. In this case, I would suspect that the Spirit have made a public max offer to gain sympathy from the fan base. A carefully placed "poison" clause is quietly inserted into the contract to ensure that JJ will not accept. If JJ goes elsewhere, the Spirit do not look like a weak financial group and their subsequent decisions are better accepted in Atlanta.

3. JJ is waiting to hear from the Spirit about impending trades. Acceptance of the deal may be tied to a trade that is being quietly negotiated this week. If this is the case, then JJ is acting as a agent for real change. I can understand his thoughts and respect him for them. He sees that the East is getting a lot stronger and he wants his team to be competitive.

• Like 1

Please excuse my ignorance. I am a casual fan of the Hawks. I live in South Florida (X 20 years) but I can not shake me allegiance to Atlanta and its teams. I visit forum often but rarely comment.

I have supported the JJ offer, despite the cost to the Hawks' cap. However, all the recent media criticism and speculation has left me wondering whether it might be a mistake. If I were an owner, I would make this offer only to a player that truly wants to stay in ATL. From the sound of most media outlets, JJ is holding onto this offer as a backup plan. If that is the case, then the owners should pull the offer and work a trade to improve the front court.

Sekou writes that the hang up is more of a contractual matter. If that is so, what is the issue? The owners have already given him the maximum amount of money. What else is there to offer in a contract? I need some help understanding this confusion. Here are some of my guesses of what might be happening and how I would approach the matter. I'd appreciate some comments to help me clear this up.

1. JJ is waiting to see where other FA's are signing: He may be negotiating with another team and waiting for them to finalize negotiations with other FA's, like Bosh, James or Wade. This makes me wary. If he is going to get the max, he needs to be a true leader for the team. Why hold the offer for a guy that is hedging his bets? A max player should be confident in his abilities and the future of his team. If he has doubts, then maybe he is not the player the Hawks should be courting.

2. JJ's agent has a problem with the contract's wording. This is a matter that should have already been worked out. If this is the hang up, then the fault rests with the Spirit. In this case, I would suspect that the Spirit have made a public max offer to gain sympathy from the fan base. A carefully placed "poison" clause is quietly inserted into the contract to ensure that JJ will not accept. If JJ goes elsewhere, the Spirit do not look like a weak financial group and their subsequent decisions are better accepted in Atlanta.

3. JJ is waiting to hear from the Spirit about impending trades. Acceptance of the deal may be tied to a trade that is being quietly negotiated this week. If this is the case, then JJ is acting as a agent for real change. I can understand his thoughts and respect him for them. He sees that the East is getting a lot stronger and he wants his team to be competitive.

I Have NO answers for you but you raise some GENUINE questions, but I think its #3....

• Premium Member

Uncertain what would keep us from pursuing other options regardless... no one can sign anything for a week anyhow, and everyone who has the least bit of intelligence is setting up their contingencies.

Times like this suggest that there's a reason why people end up as journalism majors instead of business.

My last post till the blockbuster trade is announced. The Hawks and Joe are just waiting till Lebron signs. When he signs we can than announce the signing and the blockbuster trade. Otherwise, if we do this now, Lebron or other FA's might change the team they sign with and might link up. This is extremely smart on Joe's and Atlanta case. He will signed in principle by July 5th so expect Joe to sign(I.P.) on the 5th or 6th. The trade should be announced on the same day and we would do a joint press conference.

Edited by nbasuperstar40
  • Like 1

Refuse the offer or Accept it now. We got other things to do with this roster beside tend this selfish player. We need to get the jump on other teams.

exactly

nooooooooooo time for games..Its bad enough this franchise thinks your worth 120 million now you got the balls to weigh other options cmon son

My last post till the blockbuster trade is announced. The Hawks and Joe are just waiting to Lebron signs. When he signs we can than announce the signing and the blockbuster trade. Otherwise, if we do this now, Lebron or other FA's might change the team that sign with and might link up. This is extremely smart on Joe's and Atlanta case.

what blockbuster trade ??

• Premium Member

I'd be happy to respond, but have no clue what I'd be responding to.

Same thing I told Exodus.

Players can't sign until the moratorium is lifted, but that doesn't mean every team is just sitting around waiting for the 8th. Teams are conducting a TON of business right now and most will have a strong idea of who they're signing and what they're doing by the time the moratorium ends. In addition to that, many players will give a verbal agreement to sign with a team if they get an offer they like.

JJ waiting to agree to this deal has NOTHING to with the moratorium. It has to do with LeBron and Wade.

what blockbuster trade ??

I just edit my post, but I got to go, I will be out of town for awhile. Peace.

Edited by nbasuperstar40