• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Horford "not sure" about staying in Atlanta

Sothron

• Premium Member

Read it here:

Al Horford is in the fourth year of his rookie-scale contract, which means he's eligible for a five-year extension.

If Horford doesn't agree to an extension with the Hawks, he would become a restricted free agent next summer.

"I'm not sure, yet," he said when asked if he's open to an extension.

"This is a summer for me to get better and focus on next season. I don't know what their approach is going to be on that. I know that as a team, [the focus is] to get Joe Johnson back."

Johnson has agreed to re-sign with Atlanta and the team is searching for a center. Horford's preference is to play power forward.

"I'm fine with

but my natural position is obviously the four," he said.

realgm article

Once again Horford is saying he doesn't want to play center without coming out and saying it. I think the ASG are going to have to finally pick between Horford and Smoove and trade one of them for a true center if we are going to move ahead as a roster and frankly it may be the only choice if Horford doesn't want to stay here.

Read it here:

Al Horford is in the fourth year of his rookie-scale contract, which means he's eligible for a five-year extension.

If Horford doesn't agree to an extension with the Hawks, he would become a restricted free agent next summer.

"This is a summer for me to get better and focus on next season. I don't know what their approach is going to be on that. I know that as a team, [the focus is] to get Joe Johnson back."

Johnson has agreed to re-sign with Atlanta and the team is searching for a center. Horford's preference is to play power forward.

"I'm fine with

realgm article

Once again Horford is saying he doesn't want to play center without coming out and saying it. I think the ASG are going to have to finally pick between Horford and Smoove and trade one of them for a true center if we are going to move ahead as a roster and frankly it may be the only choice if Horford doesn't want to stay here.

they are gonna move Josh to sf and trade Marvin.

I know half of hawksquawk doesnt think Josh can play sf,but that doesn't

mean that Sund and Drew feel the same way.

Edited by pimp
  • Like 1

Looks like that might be a condition of him signing an extension, and that is to go and get a natural 5. I guess he feels he can be a better player at center and by the Hawks not getting a true 5 would be limiting him as a player

None of this matters. All that matters is we can match all offers if he/we forgoes an extension. So him wanting to wait till next season make some sense. But at the sametime, who is to say his extension this season could not be better than his offer next season after the CBA is redone? Might be smart in the long run for the ASG to wait as well.

Edited by Buzzard

they are gonna move Josh to sf and trade Marvin.

I know half of hawksquawk doesnt think Josh can play sf,but that doesn't

mean that Sund and Drew feel the same way.

Count me in that half. If smoove plays the 3 the offense will seriously lack shooting range, especially with teague in the game.

• Like 1

Nothing to read into here IMO.

"I'm fine with

But there is here.

We've (Squawk, Media, Nostradamus) been saying it along: Hawks are going to have to make a decision.

Reading between the lines, it is obvious he wants to play that PF spot. I can't blame him for wanting to play his natural position. Resigning JJand finding a true C sound like two thingsx that will lead to us getting him back. Even as a restricted agent players can ask teams not to match offers. It would be nice to reunite him with Noah down the road.

Reading between the lines, it is obvious he wants to play that PF spot. I can't blame him for wanting to play his natural position. Resigning JJand finding a true C sound like two thingsx that will lead to us getting him back. Even as a restricted agent players can ask teams not to match offers. It would be nice to reunite him with Noah down the road.

You find a owner who will let their best draft pick in over 20 years just walk; and I will show you a ownership that just lost 25% of their fan base...

Edited by Buzzard

You find a owner who will let their best draft pick in over 20 years just walk; and I will show you a ownership that just lost 25% of their fan base...

Come on y'all.

Every potential FA says:

"I don't know."

"We'll have to see what happens."

"All I can do is focus on getting better and let my agent handle all that."

You know as well as I that their coached up by those same agents to say nothing.

It's what he did say (I am a PF and the future of my career will bear this self-definition out) that's noteworthy.

• Like 1

The headline on RealGm is misleading. When read in full context, Horford is unsure whether he'll work on an extension with the Hawks this year or try FA. His uncertain is not centered around whether he wants to stay with the Hawks.

After reading that article last night it did get me thinking of a potential deal. A deal with some players stock at all time low. T'Wolves are trying to move Jefferson. What about sending Marvin and Bibby to Minny for Jefferson? Jefferson plays C and give us a low post scorer we need. Move Al to PF and Smoove to SF. I know Jefferson isn't the best defender in the league at his position. He can offset that with his low post scoring and great rebounding.

Come on y'all.

Every potential FA says:

"I don't know."

"We'll have to see what happens."

"All I can do is focus on getting better and let my agent handle all that."

yep

Horford just watch JJ get 120 mil by acting like he's not sure if he wants to returnto the hawks.Why wouldn't Horford do the same thing?

• Premium Member

It's becoming pretty evident why the words "starting caliber" have been attached to the Hawks search for a center this offseason. Al apparently has made or is making his views clear to management and manangement may be listening. Al knows, as a two time national champion, that the Hawks need a true 5 to be contenders. He also knows that if he's an all-star at center, he can be even better at his natural position at the 4.

This situation may be similar to what Joe Johnson and LeBron went through. Both guys had been placed at the point guard position because of their talent. However, they were both eventually moved to their natural positions where they clearly became more comfortable and more effective. I'm not comparing Al to these guys talent wise, but the situation is similar.

Edited by Jody23
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

It's becoming pretty evident why the words "starting caliber" have been attached to the Hawks search for a center this offseason. Al apparently has made or is making his views clear to management and manangement may be listening. Al knows, as a two time national champion, that the Hawks need a true 5 to be contenders. He also knows that if he's an all-star at center, he can be even better at his natural position at the 4.

This situation may be similar to what Joe Johnson and LeBron went through. Both guys had been placed at the point guard position because of their talent. However, they were both eventually moved to their natural positions where they clearly became more comfortable and more effective. I'm not comparing Al to these guys talent wise, but the situation is similar.

I think it's a very good analogy. +1

Buzzard I wasn't saying it made sense but there is the possibility. If he is forced to play Center here and doesn't want to as a result, restricted or unrestricted he will find an escape route. I hope we get that quality big he has been lobbying for.

He can say what he wants, but unlike Joe we are holding more of the cards with him. We can match any offer.

I agree also that he is saying something close to what any potential free agent says. What is difficult is to find is a center that is an improvement over Horford. Maybe we need a compromise and get somebody who can play center part time, and play Horford like Spurs do with Tim Duncan.

If the Hawks choose to keep Smoove instead of making Al happy and signing him to an extension, I am done with this team. Horford is a special player who is smart and a leader and his work ethic is unmatched. If they choose Josh over Al, it's a serious mistake. I don't know why the Hawks won't trade Smith. His value is high right now and WE DON"T NEED TWO POWER FORWARDS!!! I would rather have Zaza start at C and move Al to the #4 than risk losing him. Al has been quietly accepting his role till now, but he is entering the prime of his career and I don't blame him for not wanting to play out of position any longer.

• Premium Member

Finding a starting center I think has more to do with finding someone who allows Al to become more effective in the low post by playing his natural position than it has to do with finding a better player at that position. It would be difficult to find a better "player" at center than Al, but it is defenitely possible to find a guy who is a better "fit" at that position than Al and it seems that's what Al wants. Also, in all the rumors about the Hawks looking for a center, I've not seen any indication of it being a player to replace Za Za.