• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This must be the new plan....

Diesel

• Premium Member

OK, so we are trading Chillz for 3 Million dollars in TE and a 2nd round pick (which we will never use).

Here's what the Dieselputer came up with:

Marvin/TE to GS for Biedrins.

Why this trade. GS is looking to unload Biedrins. Coming off of an injury and being replaced in the draft, GS could use some good versatile help like Marvin. It also takes money off their books.

Marvin/TE to GS for Ellis

GS goes for this trade because Ellis is no longer everybody's fav in GS. He's owed like 44 Million dollars. They get out of Ellis' contract and Marvin is good versatile help.

Marvin/BibbyTE to Cleveland for Shaq/Mo Williams.

Atlanta wants Shaq. Shaq says not at 5.8. OK, Atlanta offers Shaq 3 years at 22 Million. They also get Mo Williams. They lose Bibby and Marvin. Cleveland does it because they are rebuilding after the Lebron mascre. New coach Byron Scott is a stickler for Defense and he probably wants Marvin.

Now, if there's no follow up deal after getting the TPE, Sund has f---- up.

Just read Coon. Coon says that the TPE cannot be combined. This deal sucks. There's nothing we can do that is relevant with 3 million dollars.

Edited by Diesel
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

too early to classify this offseason as a failure. But I'm with you Diesel. If the only difference between this year's team and last year's team is a 1st-time HC and a Rookie 2-guard then I don't see how anyone can classify this offseason as anything other than atrocious.

OK, so we are trading Chillz for 3 Million dollars in TE and a 2nd round pick (which we will never use).

Why this trade. GS is looking to unload Biedrins. Coming off of an injury and being replaced in the draft, GS could use some good versatile help like Marvin. It also takes money off their books.

GS goes for this trade because Ellis is no longer everybody's fav in GS. He's owed like 44 Million dollars. They get out of Ellis' contract and Marvin is good versatile help.

Atlanta wants Shaq. Shaq says not at 5.8. OK, Atlanta offers Shaq 3 years at 22 Million. They also get Mo Williams. They lose Bibby and Marvin. Cleveland does it because they are rebuilding after the Lebron mascre. New coach Byron Scott is a stickler for Defense and he probably wants Marvin.

Just read Coon. Coon says that the TPE cannot be combined. This deal sucks. There's nothing we can do that is relevant with 3 million dollars.

Now we know why Sund did not SNT Chilz before. No one is offering crap for him.

• Premium Member

Now we know why Sund did not SNT Chilz before. No one is offering crap for him.

which could be the case this time. We Hawks fans see Chillz is this amazing assets but I wonder if other NBA GMs feel the same.

The Suns were doing the Hawks a favor by making this a S&T.

The Hawks were 95% likely to let Childress go if an offer sheet was presented.

This x1000. I wish people would stop trying to turn this isn't a bash Sund/ASG thread. If you're going to bash Sund bash him because he wasn't going to sign Chill....not because of what they got for him.

• Moderators

The Suns were doing the Hawks a favor by making this a S&T.

The Hawks were 95% likely to let Childress go if an offer sheet was presented.

They have already said they will pay the luxury tax to add quality players and improve our roster. How much better quality/good contract ratio are you going to get than Chillz on the deal he just signed? It seems to me that using our RFA rights and matching would not have been a bad outcome if our ownership is truly willing to pay the tax.

Assuming, however, that we would not have matched the deal, then we probably were in a position where getting this is better than nothing.

AHF- the Hawks are currently about 3.5 million dollars below the tax and they consider themselves to be the third place team in the division. They aren't going to pay the luxury tax unless someone turns them into a contender or would dramatically increase attendance and Childress does neither.

Saying that they will pay the tax is free.

Edited by spotatl

• Moderators

AHF- the Hawks are currently about 3.5 million dollars below the cap and they consider themselves to be the third place team in the division. They aren't going to pay the luxury tax unless someone turns them into a contender or would dramatically increase attendance and Childress does neither.

Saying that they will pay the tax is free.

I wasn't trying to be that cynical but your point is well taken and just loops back to why it is idiotic to sell the first pick in the second round. I guess I am talking out of both sides of my mouth on this.

My criticism with the first pick of the second round is based on my assumption that the Hawks won't pay the tax.

When they then say they are willing to pay the tax, my criticism of the Chillz deal is based on the assumption that they are willing to pay the tax.

If they kept the 2nd round pick and made this trade with Chillz, that would make sense to me.

If they sold the 2nd round pick and paid the tax, that would make sense to me.

If they sell the 2nd round pick and then won't pay the tax, I don't get what they are trying to accomplish.

I too thought nothing of substance could be added for 3M until I saw that Tony Allen signed on with Memphis for 3yr at 3.23M per. Losing Childress was a forgone conclusion in my opinion. I'm just glad they got something for him.

Edited by 99PROBL3MS

• Premium Member

Man do we really need Chillz? People acting like he is some type of MVP player. He is gone. Let it go. Lets move on.

honestly I'm happy he's gone. I'm just sick of being teased with the idea of him being a Hawk again.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

We all knew the likelyhood of Chill playing for us were unlikely. We stand a better chance of landing on Jupiter tomorrow then him playing for the Hawks this year. Couldn't we get something of value for him that could help us this year? Basically all we got is a 2nd round pick ASG will turn around and sell for $3M. Either that or we draft another Euro player that will be stash of overseas never to be heard from again just like the rest of them.

If they sell the 2nd round pick and then won't pay the tax, I don't get what they are trying to accomplish.

Exactly.

I thought Hawks were currently around 5.8M below the luxury tax threshold.

Does anyone realistically think that we're going to offer Shaq now?

(Yes, I know, there isn't any followable logic in this juxtaposition).

It was funny when Joe got signed that Marvin was mentioned as a core player. He was not mentioned at all before Joe signed(Guess that was when they were trying to trade him). My quess is Joe must like him and Josh Smith. After Joe gets signed all of a sudden Al says he and JOSH need help down low....... Come on man!

By the numbers I have the Hawks are currently 3.5 below the Luxury Tax

$16,324,500 Joe

$11,700,000 Josh

$10,080,000 Jamal

$6,712,500 Marvin

$5,564,767 Bibby

$5,444,857 Horford

$4,251,250 Zaza

$2,500,000 Evans

$1,476,840 Teague

$1,042,320 Crawford

$854,389 (minimum for 11th roster spot)

$854,389 (minimum for 12th roster spot)

---------------------

$66,805,812 Total

The Luxury tax line is $70,307,000

So to sign the 13th member of the roster the Hawks could spend up to $3,501,188 without exceeding the luxury tax. I'm sure that my numbers aren't perfect but that gives you a pretty good idea where the Hawks sit. If the Hawks were going to have 14 players on the roster that would eat into the 3.5 million even further.

Edited by spotatl

By the numbers I have the Hawks are currently 3.5 below the Luxury Tax

$16,324,500 Joe

$11,700,000 Josh

$10,080,000 Jamal

$6,712,500 Marvin

$5,564,767 Bibby

$5,444,857 Horford

$4,251,250 Zaza

$2,500,000 Evans

$1,476,840 Teague

$1,042,320 Crawford

$854,389 (minimum for 11th roster spot)

$854,389 (minimum for 12th roster spot)

---------------------

$66,805,812 Total

The Luxury tax line is $70,307,000

So to sign the 13th member of the roster the Hawks could spend up to $3,501,188 without exceeding the luxury tax. I'm sure that my numbers aren't perfect but that gives you a pretty good idea where the Hawks sit. If the Hawks were going to have 14 players on the roster that would eat into the 3.5 million even further.

10/4 Spot.

I wasn't adding two minimum contracts.

That said, Hawks only have to meet a minimum of 12 players on the roster.

So, if we maximized that potential salary, we could offer ~4.3M without paying lux tax, right?

Either way, the news isn't terribly exciting.

13 is the minimum roster size. It just doesn't make any sense to put the 13th minimum salary on there because what people really care about is how much they could spend for that last player without exceeding the tax.

Edited by spotatl