• Raised $390 of $700 target

Split up the MLE instead of giving it all to Shaq

Sothron

• Premium Member

Three guys I think we could get for the MLE and possible LLE if needed:

Livingston

Anthony Tolliver

Matt Barnes

We'd greatly improve our bench which IMO is better than spending our entire MLE on an almost forty year old Shaq that can barely get up and down the court. Barnes is a gritty defender who can hit threes and Livingston would be a STEAL as a third point guard esp. if we can move Bibby's contract in a trade.

Our roster would look like this:

Teague/Bibby/Livingston

Joe Johnson/Old Craw/Young Craw

Marvin/Barnes

Smith/Tolliver

Horford/Zaza/Tolliver

• Like 2

Three guys I think we could get for the MLE and possible LLE if needed:

Livingston

Anthony Tolliver

Matt Barnes

We'd greatly improve our bench which IMO is better than spending our entire MLE on an almost forty year old Shaq that can barely get up and down the court. Barnes is a gritty defender who can hit threes and Livingston would be a STEAL as a third point guard esp. if we can move Bibby's contract in a trade.

Our roster would look like this:

Teague/Bibby/Livingston

Joe Johnson/Old Craw/Young Craw

Marvin/Barnes

Smith/Tolliver

Horford/Zaza/Tolliver

Yeah, I'm really starting to hope that we don't sign Shaq as much as we need a big body. That kind of money is not worth it at all, for a large personality like this compared to what he is going to give us on the floor.

I'd be more open to splitting the MLE on players like Brad Miller or Kwame Brown (as far as size goes) and yes, Matt Barnes.

Barring any trades that might happen that we can't predict (Crawford last year), adding someone like Matt Barnes I feel is essential. Gritty wing that not only WANTS to guard the Kobe's, does pretty well at it too. (At least as good as anyone can.)

Other Free Agents out there that I like for us:

Craig Smith (a real brute backing up Josh)

Al Harrington (he would be an upgrade over Marvin) -- but it sounds like Dallas has him wrapped up

I dont know if the CHA trade affects this, but if not then it looks like another one is coming off the board.

The Mavericks are close to signing former San Antonio Spurs center Ian Mahinmi, NBA sources said Sunday.

Mahinmi (6-11) played 26 games for the Spurs last season and is an unrestricted free agent. He averaged 3.9 points and 2.0 rebounds in six minutes per game last season. Several NBA sources said the 25-year-old Frenchman is ready to make a significant improvement moving forward.

If the Mavericks secure Mahinmi, who would at the very most require the bi-annual exception of about $1.9 million, it could be a sign that Dampier no longer is in the team's plans.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/071210dnspomavsshort.1d7f170.html

The Hawks first real chance since Dikembe to get an actual center, and people have reservations about it.

SMH

Doubt Shaq's potential positive impact on the team, but want to hype up Anthony Tolliver and Matt Barnes?

Incredible.

This should be a last resort type thing . . . not perceived as an equal or better alternative to getting Shaq. If this is what we end up getting in the offseason, it's been a bad offseason.

that's just the thing northcyde. Shaq is a legendary center but there have been chemistry issues with the last two teams he's been with. When you think about it, he's only been successful on teams where he is the star player. I would love to have what Shaq could provide but will he fit with what we are trying to do offensively ?

Eazy . . this "innovative" Larry Drew offense will make us look "prettier", but it won't solve 3 issues that continue to haunt this team.

1) defensive rebounding

2) low post scoring

3) interior defense on good post players

Shaq's presence addresses all 3 of these problems. Shaq has PER 36 minute numbers at center that are better than Horford's. He's still arguably a top 5 - 10 center in this league. And both Smoove and Horford would be happy as hell to play alongside a big center like that. Horford has already said that he'd welcome Shaq.

If Anthony Tolliver was even a borderline talent that could consistently produce, don't you think that a team with big man issues like the Warriors would at least extend a qualifying offer to him?

The guy doesn't play to his size. He's one of those Rasheed Wallace "I'm a PF that really wants to be a 2 guard" type players. He's a marginal offensive player, and a below average defensive player.

Seriously . . . someof you need to be watching some of these other teams more. You'd see why people aren't tripping over themselves, trying to secure Anthony Tolliver.

Eazy . . this "innovative" Larry Drew offense will make us look "prettier", but it won't solve 3 issues that continue to haunt this team.

1) defensive rebounding

2) low post scoring

Shaq's presence addresses all 3 of these problems. Shaq has PER 36 minute numbers at center that are better than Horford's. He's still arguably a top 5 - 10 center in this league. And both Smoove and Horford would be happy as hell to play alongside a big center like that. Horford has already said that he'd welcome Shaq.

If Anthony Tolliver was even a borderline talent that could consistently produce, don't you think that a team with big man issues like the Warriors would at least extend a qualifying offer to him?

The guy doesn't play to his size. He's one of those Rasheed Wallace "I'm a PF that really wants to be a 2 guard" type players. He's a marginal offensive player, and a below average defensive player.

Seriously . . . someof you need to be watching some of these other teams more. You'd see why people aren't tripping over themselves, trying to secure Anthony Tolliver.

I agree Absolutely....The Hawks would definitely gain some much needed size and toughness. Additionally, it would allow the Hawks to play at 2 speeds....fast, uptempo style when SHaq is on the Bench..and in those 4th quarters when we need rebounds, and baskets it would allow us to easily run screens using the big fellow. I would love to Have Shaq..the Hawks need to give him 15mins a game and pace him till playoff time. I would also like to another tough nose big men with some athleticism aswell to support the Hawks...

AND BARNES WOULD NOT START OVER MARVIN......

One element people have not brought up at length is the fringe benefits of bringing Shaq in. If it is true that he would sign for two seasons and end with his farewell tour, imagine how many tv games we would have, sellouts, etc. Apart from basketball impact, Shaq would bring immense exposure and a possible financial opportunity for our team. He could help establish us as a destination for players to come live the good life in the ATL and play for a great, fun, winning team. Worth discussing at least.

• Moderators

1) defensive rebounding

2) low post scoring

I agree that nothing was done in recent years to solve these problems. We'll see if Drew can address any of them.

My hope is that his offense makes us a much more versatile team that isn't ridiculously predictable in the playoffs ala Woodson's iso offense.