• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Arenas a more reasonable trade target than CP3?

sturt

That makes no sense. The question of Arenas should be what it means to the Hawks. You make a move to propell the team based on what Orlando does? SMH, He is a top 5 PG. That is what you want. Teague ain't a top 30 PG.

He was a top 5 scoring guard. Never confuse Arenas' scoring ability with the ability to be a true point guard. Second, the guy rarely plays defense.

My point on Orlando is that Paul would end up with the Magic instead of the Hawks, I should have made that more clear.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Let me say up front that getting the young big men would make this scenario much more attractive but we are so close to the tax line that I don't think it works. Here is my last post on Arenas:

He didn't finish the year because of his outrageous behavior and I don't see how you can assume he would have stayed healthy considering his recent health. Seriously, he would have finished all of last year? How can anyone know this when he started 10 of 162 games the prior two seasons! Even during his "healthy" 2010, he was still suffering from the prior injuries. His TS% went from .581 and .565 his last two healthy seasons to a .511 last year. By way of comparison, that was roughly the same TS% that Speedy Claxton had with SA and GS. Who wants a ball hog who shoots like that and is a headcase to boot?

One way or another, it is 4 years ago the last time Arenas played regularly. He will be on a shorter leash than ever in terms of behavior from the league and is still a major health risk in my book until he proves it on the court. His play on the floor is a further concern after 3 years away.

I am not buying on Gilbert at all.

Pros:

* Very high volume scoring potential if healthy and if play recovers

Negatives:

* Way overpaid and for another 3 years of 20+ million when we need to extend Horford

* Big health risk

* Big behavior risk

* Ball hog at the best of times and presents an Allen Iverson-esque challenge to incorporate him into a team structure

* Was woefully inefficient shooter in 2010

* Never a good defender even when healthy

• Like 1

• Premium Member
His TS% went from .581 and .565 his last two healthy seasons to a .511 last year.

I'd be hesitant to get to excited or depressed either way based on 32 games.

I guess the reason I'm willing to consider Arenas is that there simply are not any good/easy ways to get better at this point, and we are at a place in the timeline where we really have to take a calculated risk on someone. Oddly enough, that someone isn't Arenas so much as it is Blatche--the whole idea here is to get about the same thing out of Arenas that you may have otherwise gotten out of Crawford, but to use his situation as the lever that also allows you to pick up some other parts, particularly major low-post addition. And Blatche conveniently enough fits our trade exception almost perfectly.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Since we had several threads on Arenas this offseason, just figured I would update this to note that Arenas has now:

(1) Admitted faking an injury to avoid playing in a game

and

(2) Actually injured his groin

Nice to know that even before the preseason ends he can remind everyone why he is such a behavior and health risk at this point in his career.

Two nights after he admitted faking a left knee injury, Arenas played just three minutes before exiting the Washington Wizards ' 96-88 preseason loss to the Milwaukee Bucks on Thursday night with a strained right groin.

• Premium Member

I believe that Paul would receive fan love a lot easier. I think that soon, NO will have to move Paul simply because of the fear of losing him for nothing.

That being the case, I think we have some good packages that we can offer.

I believe that Paul would receive fan love a lot easier. I think that soon, NO will have to move Paul simply because of the fear of losing him for nothing.

That being the case, I think we have some good packages that we can offer.

Good point. I wish Hawks would at least be in talks about CP3 trades. We do have a lot to offer them, but I would think we would have to give up Horford or Smoove, and I'm sure Jamal would be packaged in there. I'd be willing to make it happen and lose one of our All-Stars for our beloved CP3.

Chris Paul's competitiveness and leadership by itself would be a huge asset. We currently don't have anyone like that to run the team and push everyone to their full capabilities. None of our three captain's do that, and that's a huge thing we are missing.

• Premium Member

I'm really starting to wonder if Arenas is losing his mind. He's always been a little eccentric, but his behavior has been REALLY bizarre the past few seasons. The unfunny pranks he used to pull on his teammates, keeping a small arsenal in his locker, the 'gun dance' he performed in a pregame huddle after getting in trouble for said arsenal, and now faking an injury and ADMITTING it to the media makes me think that he is not in full control of his faculties. Too bad, he seems like a decent guy and a great basketball player but it seems like his issues go beyond the basketball court. He's too much of a risk at this point.

Edited by hawkman

• Premium Member

I'm really starting to wonder if Arenas is losing his mind. He's always been a little eccentric, but his behavior has been REALLY bizarre the past few seasons. The unfunny pranks he used to pull on his teammates, keeping a small arsenal in his locker, the 'gun dance' he performed in a pregame huddle after getting in trouble for said arsenal, and now faking an injury and ADMITTING it to the media makes me think that he is not in full control of his faculties. Too bad, he seems like a decent guy and a great basketball player but it seems like his issues go beyond the basketball court. He's too much of a risk at this point.

Yes to all of that. I now regret having started this thread.

Since we had several threads on Arenas this offseason, just figured I would update this to note that Arenas has now:

(1) Admitted faking an injury to avoid playing in a game

and

(2) Actually injured his groin

Nice to know that even before the preseason ends he can remind everyone why he is such a behavior and health risk at this point in his career.

WTF would anyone want this guy on your team? He faked an injury to avoid playing in a game. I repeat, he faked an injury to avoid playing in a game. Are you guys really serious?

A top 5 PG? Really? I can think of 8 guys off the top of my head I'd rather have over him. Hell, he's not even the number one choice on his own team.

I don't even have to get into his contract. I wouldn't want to sign him for half of what he makes. The guy is a cancer. I'm not a fan of paying for cancer.

Watching and listening to Arenas lately is like watching a car crash..it's horrific but I can't look away..Please don't trade for Gilbert..He has a huge contract, he's kinda crazy, can't play defense and is a very selfish individual, not to mention that he is a shoot first pg...Not good for this team...I'd love CP3 though at almost any cost. GO HAWKS!!!!!