• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If you had to choose....

Diesel

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

Going into the season, LD has a choice on his hands. His choice is to determine who his Starting PG will be. LD has said that Jordan Crawford is confident and plays strong, however he also said that we're going to nurture that. Then there's Bibby who looks like he may have lost a step. Then there's Teague who is the unknown quantity... then you have two capable OGs in Joe and Jamal...

Who would be your starting PG?

• Premium Member

I have another choice. Make either Crawford(JC1 or JC2) the starting 2 guard and move JJ to the 3 spot. Marv can come off a strong bench with Teague or Bibby/JC1 or JC2/Zaza or Collins/Powell. That way, Bibby always has a capable ball handler next to him which will allow him to spot up or come off screens. I hope that makes sense. :cant believe:

• Premium Member

It's simple for me. You can't draft a guy (Teague) that high just to give up on him before you give him a real shot.

Jeff Teague wasn't taken high- at that point in the draft if you end up with a quality backup then you did a good job drafting. Guys taken in the top 10 sure- if you don't end up with a starter with a top 10 pick then you probably messed up. But at #19 its simply not reasonable to expect a starter out of that position.

Bibby is the only guy who I think can consistently knock down shots from the outside at this point so thats who I would start. I prefer Jamal Crawford playing with the second unit where he can dominate the ball. I can't understand how anyone saw enough from Teague last season to think that he should be starting. And I say this as a guy who is convinced that Bibby has been in serious decline for several seasons now and managed to reverse the trend only in his contract year.

So if I'm the coach I start the game With Bibby, pick my spots where I think Teague can be successful, and finish the game with Crawford.

Edited by spotatl
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Good question. I think Bibby will start at point guard because it's currently his job to lose. However, even though Bibby starts, he defenitely will be giving up significant time to Teague and perhaps Jordan Crawford. I don't see Crawford as a point guard. I think he's a two guard who happens to have really good playmaking ability. The one thing I think he has that you can't teach is heart and leadership ability to go along with his talent. I don't want to jump to conclusions because it's very early and this is preseason, but could the Hawks have landed a guy who may make them regret giving Joe that huge contract in a few years? Only time will tell.

Edited by Jody23

• Premium Member

It's simple for me. You can't draft a guy (Teague) that high just to give up on him before you give him a real shot.

Actually, we didn't take Teague that high. He was late first round. If you want to cry about a high pick... Acie Law is your man.

• Premium Member

I don't want to jump to conclusions because it's very early and this is preseason, but could the Hawks have landed a guy who may make them regret giving Joe that huge contract in a few years? Only time will tell.

I think the Joe question is moot.

I think us retaining Joe's value is good for now. The good thing is that we can trade Joe at any time after Dec. 15th. So when you consider us allowing Joe and watching him walk or us keeping Joe and having either Joe the player or Joe the trading piece, I think we did the right thing and we should have no regrets.

Jeff Teague... until he proves otherwise.

~lw3

Have you not learn with "Giving" guys (Marvin) starting positions? LD needs to allow guys earn starting positions. We have three captains and they are starters, the other two positions need to be earned. Bump this 6th man madness Jamal should start. If Jordan is better than Jeff he should battle Bibby for the rock.

This team will never advance to elitism until they are accountable to themselves. To be given starter and not earning it is cancerous.

• Moderators

Have you not learn with "Giving" guys (Marvin) starting positions? LD needs to allow guys earn starting positions. We have three captains and they are starters, the other two positions need to be earned. Bump this 6th man madness Jamal should start. If Jordan is better than Jeff he should battle Bibby for the rock.

This team will never advance to elitism until they are accountable to themselves. To be given starter and not earning it is cancerous.

I appreciate that, Swat, which is why last year's first-rounder should be given an opportunity to earn it, once he returns from injury. If he "proves otherwise," we can formally entertain this year's first-rounder, who was not drafted to be the PG but is making the most of his opportunities with Teague injured. The Summer League and the Memphis games weren't enough to justify going away from Teague at the point... not just yet.

While the argument you're making is valid, all of our concerns are built around the assumption that, barring some kind of unfortunate amputation, the veteran incumbent (Bibby) will be "given" the starting position. Thus, the "loser" between JC2 and Teague will be relegated to #3 on the depth charts (Teague @ PG, JC2 @ both PG and SG). Thankfully, the Crawford Conundrum has presented itself and it is clear that, even though it's just a couple games, JC2 should not be a #3 option at either position on this team. If Teague comes back and plays about the same as he has so far, I'd like to see how JC2 progresses defensively (and he will progress... just a matter of how quickly) and with shot-selection before making the call between these two at PG.

As for Marvin, if only we had enough talent at SF for such debate. Apologies to Mo, but there's a reason the "Start Mo!" threads have gained little traction. Back in June, I wanted Damion James (the guy we traded to get JC2 + $$$?) to create precisely the fuss around Marvin that we're having around Bibby 'n Teague now.

Your suggestions can take hold, but are predicated on (1) Larry D going against convention with Bibby, and (2) Joe accepting the role he's doing now while Marvin is out... sliding to SF as a starter (JC2/JC1/Joe/Josh/Hofo). I'd love it for the first 10-15 minutes... until foul trouble arises and we're looking for a boost from a Halloween-scary second "unit" (Bibby/Sy?/Marvin/Powell/Zaza) to hold leads or keep opponent's leads close. In this scenario, can our starters commit to 40+ minutes season-long? For the money they have/want, they sure won't complain. But would it be wise?

~lw3

I appreciate that, Swat, which is why last year's first-rounder should be given an opportunity to earn it, once he returns from injury. If he "proves otherwise," we can formally entertain this year's first-rounder, who was not drafted to be the PG but is making the most of his opportunities with Teague injured. The Summer League and the Memphis games weren't enough to justify going away from Teague at the point... not just yet.

While the argument you're making is valid, all of our concerns are built around the assumption that, barring some kind of unfortunate amputation, the veteran incumbent (Bibby) will be "given" the starting position. Thus, the "loser" between JC2 and Teague will be relegated to #3 on the depth charts (Teague @ PG, JC2 @ both PG and SG). Thankfully, the Crawford Conundrum has presented itself and it is clear that, even though it's just a couple games, JC2 should not be a #3 option at either position on this team. If Teague comes back and plays about the same as he has so far, I'd like to see how JC2 progresses defensively (and he will progress... just a matter of how quickly) and with shot-selection before making the call between these two at PG.

As for Marvin, if only we had enough talent at SF for such debate. Apologies to Mo, but there's a reason the "Start Mo!" threads have gained little traction. Back in June, I wanted Damion James (the guy we traded to get JC2 + $$$?) to create precisely the fuss around Marvin that we're having around Bibby 'n Teague now.

Your suggestions can take hold, but are predicated on (1) Larry D going against convention with Bibby, and (2) Joe accepting the role he's doing now while Marvin is out... sliding to SF as a starter (JC2/JC1/Joe/Josh/Hofo). I'd love it for the first 10-15 minutes... until foul trouble arises and we're looking for a boost from a Halloween-scary second "unit" (Bibby/Sy?/Marvin/Powell/Zaza) to hold leads or keep opponent's leads close. In this scenario, can our starters commit to 40+ minutes season-long? For the money they have/want, they sure won't complain. But would it be wise?

~lw3

All of these thoughts lends me towards thanks that LD is the coach and I'm not. I would take a shot at Sund's job.

• Like 1

Voted for Teague but Jordan is looking great so far. I see this as a no lose situation that is a great one to be in provided both prove to be young starting caliber players. Now if we could just get a similar situation at center...

I figure why not Jamal? Teague and Jordan are both natural scorers and it's better for their development and confidence to allow them to do just that off the bench rather than force them to be facilitators amongst the vets.

Jamal has had greater experience at this level of pretending to be a point so he can hold it down for awhile. Goes even further to satisfy his desire to be a starter and it's clear that I don't even consider Bibby a rotation player anymore.

• Moderators

MC tweets that Teague (ankle) is still doubtful for Saturday's game against the Bugs. I'm not one to advocate rushing an injury, but for his sake he might want to put some butter on that thing and lace up. JC1 was back at practice today, along with Marvin, Mo and JaCo.

~lw3