• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Al Horford signs a 5 year 60 million dollar extension

Joker

• Premium Member

I'm glad Horf agreed to a reasonable deal. I'm wondering if it is at all possible to re-sign Craw at this point. There's no way he'll get what he's getting paid this year, but I'm sure he knew that coming into this season. I wonder if he would be open to a much more reasonable contract to stay in Atlanta?

• Like 1

I'm glad Horf agreed to a reasonable deal. I'm wondering if it is at all possible to re-sign Craw at this point. There's no way he'll get what he's getting paid this year, but I'm sure he knew that coming into this season. I wonder if he would be open to a much more reasonable contract to stay in Atlanta?

The problem is that the Hawks have no idea what the new CBA will have as far as the luxury tax or things like that. I don't see how the Hawks could sign Crawford to a contract knowing there is a possiblility that they would have to pay double or even triple the value of it depending on what happens with the CBA negotiation. Horford they can go out on a limb for because no matter what the CBA says they were pretty much locked into keeping him. Jamal Crawford is an expendable piece

Edited by spotatl
  • Like 1

I went over to realgm to see what was going on. Nobody posts on the Hawks board anymore. There are more response to Horford signing on the Raptors board.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1063055

Knicks fans responding as only Knicks fans know how to.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1063064

I loled at the fact Raps fans are more knowledgeable of our cap situation than a few fans on this site.

Knicks fans, as always, are stuck in their ivory tower unaware of the world.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

The problem is that the Hawks have no idea what the new CBA will have as far as the luxury tax or things like that. I don't see how the Hawks could sign Crawford to a contract knowing there is a possiblility that they would have to pay double or even triple the value of it depending on what happens with the CBA negotiation. Horford they can go out on a limb for because no matter what the CBA says they were pretty much locked into keeping him. Jamal Crawford is an expendable piece

Gotcha. Well I guess JC2 may be pressed into service sooner than i thought. I wonder if they'll wait until the deadline to trade Craw or start pursuing deals right away? Either way it's good to have the 'core' locked up long term! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Great Job ASG

This is the most positive ive ever seen this site :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Then plus 1 my post :conversation:

• Premium Member

I think it's been discussed and almost confirmed that there will be no luxury tax in the new CBA. I think that there will be a hard (higher) cap. If that be the case, the Hawks would be smart to move before the CBA is done so that they could maintain their players and picks. This team can be grandfathered in as is.

• Like 1

I think it's been discussed and almost confirmed that there will be no luxury tax in the new CBA. I think that there will be a hard (higher) cap. If that be the case, the Hawks would be smart to move before the CBA is done so that they could maintain their players and picks. This team can be grandfathered in as is.

Which is why PG is a position we need to evaluate and either sit on what we have or make a move on it in Jan or Feb.

I think it's been discussed and almost confirmed that there will be no luxury tax in the new CBA.

What are you talking about? No one has any idea what the new CBA will have.

I think that there will be a hard (higher) cap

Its exceptionally unlikely that there will be a hard cap in the NBA. The owners will talk about a hard cap as a negotiating tactic but I don't think anyone thinks thats a realisitc outcome. The union would likely decertify before accepting a hard cap.

Edited by spotatl

I think, under the old CBA, that we could offer something like 3 years and $25M-$30M and stay under the tax. But I have to agree that Crawford can't get extended in this environment. I even think his value as a trade chip is minimized. We are probably best off by just playing him (on the court he is a great piece for us) and then let him walk. With his $10M hit coming off the books, we'll be able to afford his replacement. There will be a small chance that we will resign him in free agency.

The Hawks sure are spending a lot of money to keep this core together. The question that pops into my head is that if keeping this core together was the plan all along then why sell a second round pick for cash? I don't get it. With the starters making big bucks you need cheap bench players.

The Hawks sure are spending a lot of money to keep this core together. The question that pops into my head is that if keeping this core together was the plan all along then why sell a second round pick for cash? I don't get it. With the starters making big bucks you need cheap bench players.

I don't think keeping the pick would have made any difference. Our 1st round pick has only played two minutes so far this season. I doubt that whoever we drafted in the second round would get more.

• Premium Member

Time to trade Crawford for an upgrade at point or SF and we're good to go.

I'd like the two people who negged me for this post to explain their reasoning. We have now signed for several years Joe, Josh and Al and the only positions left that are upgradable are point guard and small forward. The only way we can do that this year is to trade Crawford's expiring.

I don't think keeping the pick would have made any difference. Our 1st round pick has only played two minutes so far this season. I doubt that whoever we drafted in the second round would get more.

He is behind our $120 million star and the 6th man of the year.

That is quite different than our Center position, where there is plenty of room. We have a stud playing out of position and relative scrubs. Besides, getting a borderline 1st round 7-footer and stashing him is a great move. It costs virtually nothing if he doesn't contribute and gives you a high-upside piece if he does pan out.

A guy like Whiteside wouldn't be playing much this year, but it would be a gamble that may pay off 2 years down the line.

This Horford signing is great news though.

Orlando got Gortat in the second round. He would be pretty usefull here.

Sothron check your PM.

• Moderators

You are preaching to the choir my friend! Those early second round picks are quite valuable and we pissed one away this year for no good reason.