• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Are We Better Without Marvin?

JackB1

Just wondering what everyone thinks about this? I love the lineup that puts Al at the 4 and Josh at the 3.

Seems like Al's ppg avg soars when moved to the 4 and he takes advantage of the other team's 4. Josh

seems to handle the 3 spot well and can also abuse his defender at that spot.

I really dont feel like we miss a beat with Marvin on the bench. Any chance he might not start once he is

ready? I really hope Drew gives this some serious thought. I just think he should start Zaza ahead of Collins

at the 5.

I like the energy ZaZa brings off the bench. I think he would get in foul trouble more often if he started simply b/c refs are typically more prone to blow the whistle eary in games to set up the physical climate of the game.

PF might be better for Horford individually but I'm not sure its best for this team under the pesent roster.

I really like Marvin's defense vs. SFs like: James, Melo, Durant, Lewis, Granger, G. Wallace, etc.

I do like mixing up the lineups. Especially vs. big front lines like the Celtics and Heat. I just can't imagine Smoove guarding a perimeter threat like Pierce at SF.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

Problem with Smoove at 3 is he leans to come with help inside and leaves his man wide open at perimeter.

Zaza starting means no decent big coming off the bench.

^^This. He's the Hawks primary defender in the paint and he know's it. He's always having to leave his man to patrol the lane when someone else blows their assignment. I'm not sure I saw anyone really 'blow by' Smoove last night, but I did see him have to run back out on his man on the perimeter a few times and you can't do that against guys like Channing Frye and Dudley.

• Moderators

^^This. He's the Hawks primary defender in the paint and he know's it. He's always having to leave his man to patrol the lane when someone else blows their assignment. I'm not sure I saw anyone really 'blow by' Smoove last night, but I did see him have to run back out on his man on the perimeter a few times and you can't do that against guys like Channing Frye and Dudley.

Let alone Paul Pierce, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Danny Granger, Stephen Jackson, etc.

Honestly, what killed us most was the Suns perimeter scoring. We missed not only Marvins perimeter, but Evans as well. SF's are "wing" players for a reason, they are best suited on the outer edges which is where we lacked on offense and defense alot of the game. Smoove isnt a wing player

I like the energy ZaZa brings off the bench. I think he would get in foul trouble more often if he started simply b/c refs are typically more prone to blow the whistle eary in games to set up the physical climate of the game.

PF might be better for Horford individually but I'm not sure its best for this team under the pesent roster.

I really like Marvin's defense vs. SFs like: James, Melo, Durant, Lewis, Granger, G. Wallace, etc.

I do like mixing up the lineups. Especially vs. big front lines like the Celtics and Heat. I just can't imagine Smoove guarding a perimeter threat like Pierce at SF.

You're right. It would depend on the matchups and the team we are facing, but I would like to see LD use this more often. I just think Horf would avg 20 pts at the #4 easily.

After yesterday's game there should be no question as to why we need Marvin. Smoove can't man the SF spot. If his BBIQ was higher he could have been a decent backup. I know that Marvin is far from perfect but how many "WTF" moments have Marvin been a part of versus Smoove. I not saying the Marvin is an all world defender but I think that it would be easier to score on Smoove than Marvin. Straight up man to man defense I would take Marvin at the 3 before Smoove any day of the week.

• Moderators

Smoove shouldn't see more than five minutes at SF a game

I really dislike Josh at the SF position but I am very open to him playing more than 5 minutes when the matchups are good. Going against a SF like Beasley is just fine for longer minutes as is a matchup where he can abuse the opponent on interior shots (like if he was matched up with Mo Evans on the block).

Just wondering what everyone thinks about this? I love the lineup that puts Al at the 4 and Josh at the 3.

Seems like Al's ppg avg soars when moved to the 4 and he takes advantage of the other team's 4. Josh

seems to handle the 3 spot well and can also abuse his defender at that spot.

I really dont feel like we miss a beat with Marvin on the bench. Any chance he might not start once he is

ready? I really hope Drew gives this some serious thought. I just think he should start Zaza ahead of Collins

at the 5.

Plain and simple.........NO!!!

If you truly think the Hawks are a better team without Marvin, you need to watch more basketball. The Hawks would've had the game against the Suns with Marvin in there. I was at the game and watching Bibby chase Richardson around was painful.

We NEED Marvin back. Like now.

• Like 1