• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It's time to sit Joe Johnson

gsuteke

JJ's hand injury must be having an effect on his play. He injured it during the preseason and he's been playing through it. I'm sure JJ's been telling Drew he can play through it but I think it's time for Drew to step in and shut JJ down for a week to 10 in order to give his hand some time to heal.

These 4-14 shooting nights are naking it painfully obvious that continuing to run Joe out there with a bad hand is a bad idea in the longterm when you can give him some rest and rely on Crawford a little more in his absence.

• Like 1

Which Crawford?

Last night, Crawford Two outdid Crawford One.

JJ says, "No, it doesn't bother me." then goes out on the floor and proves that it does bother him.

Maucho! A real man! I can play thru this! I'm not hurting the team. I'm proving how tough I am.

Yep. You're right. JJ needs to sit and let his body heal. Hawks need him @ 100%.

Crawford One has been cold for two games. We don't need him cold. If this contimues,

someone else needs him.

Completely sitting Joe Johnson is a stupid idea. Limiting his minutes should be the solution as he can still contribute something to his team.

Continuing to play joe when he's injured and it's having such a negative impact on his game is stupider considering a season is 82 games.

• Premium Member

Continuing to play joe when he's injured and it's having such a negative impact on his game is stupider considering a season is 82 games.

I agree 110%. Nagging injuries like that rarely get better except through rest. If that means shutting JJ down for 2 weeks, fine. This is the time to do it, what with the weak schedule we face starting tomorrow and continuing through next Friday. If that means we lose 2-3 games we otherwise would win, fine. I don’t care how many games we win now. What I care about is having a healthy roster come April and May. The offense will go merrily along without JJ. Heck, maybe the absence of JJ will jolt Marvin and Jamal out of their offensive torpor and give Jordan Crawford some in-game experience he otherwise would have trouble getting. That could make us even stronger than we otherwise would have been.

Players rarely bench themselves due to nagging injuries (unless your name is T-Mac). Coaches have to do it for them. From the sources I’ve heard (mainly books, plus a couple frustrated agents I'm friends with), players don’t like to be perceived as unwilling to play through pain. Certainly, history is littered with players who have tried to “play through” a nagging injury only to aggravate it (Walton in the 70's is the most famous example; Garnett in '09 is a more recent one - as is JJ that same year), to the long-term detriment of themselves and their team. So it’s on LD and the other Hawks staff to tell JJ that he’s getting shut down for as long as it takes for his hand to heal. Better for him to miss 5 games now than 10 games in March or April.

Edited by niremetal

If Joe is hurt he needs to sit. It's not jus the lack of production, he's setting himself up for another injury. When injured you rely on other areas to get the job done. These areas are not used to doing what they are asked; hence another injury is around the corner.

JJ may only need a week to get hand better, but whatever the time is, I agree NOW is the time to do it.

• Premium Member

JJ's hand injury must be having an effect on his play. He injured it during the preseason and he's been playing through it. I'm sure JJ's been telling Drew he can play through it but I think it's time for Drew to step in and shut JJ down for a week to 10 in order to give his hand some time to heal.

These 4-14 shooting nights are naking it painfully obvious that continuing to run Joe out there with a bad hand is a bad idea in the longterm when you can give him some rest and rely on Crawford a little more in his absence.

Prediction: JJ goes off on Boston.

JJ loves to scorch Allen and Pierce. I think this game will be like old times. Only difference is that Boston has Shaq to intimidate Horf.. . and Rondo? Who is matched up with Rondo? Joe?

Joe can go for 40 tonight and it still won't change my opinion on whether he should shut it down for a week or so if his hand is injured.

This team needs to perform in may and june. If the guy is hurt he needs to be shut down considering how poorly he's been shooting the ball.

• Premium Member

The guy doesn't all of a sudden suck.

He's hurt. I didn't watch the game but I dvrd'd it and deleted it. I don't want to waste 2 hours of my life watching it.

I saw Joe was 2-10. Why haven't we shut this guy down already????

I agree he doesn't all of a sudden suck. He has been gradually sucking more and more since the starts of the Playoffs last year, and now has reached a point where his suckitude is of epic proportions.

Maybe I've just missed it but I haven't heard much talk of Joe being hurt during the games. If he is, then sit him down until he's healthy. I'm no JJ fan mainly due to his being overpaid and lack of leadership but he isn't this bad. After getting paid, you would think he would at least be par for the course for his career numbers during the regular season.