• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jamal talk is surprisingly quiet

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

Last 4 game he's averaging 26 pts. I wonder why a guy that could average 30 in his sleep isn't talked about more around the league. I want him to stay but I don't see how when he's averaging as much as a player the Hawks are paying max dollars to.

• Moderators

Last 4 game he's averaging 26 pts. I wonder why a guy that could average 30 in his sleep isn't talked about more around the league. I want him to stay but I don't see how when he's averaging as much as a player the Hawks are paying max dollars to.

I"ve been thinking about it too. We can't really afford to get rid of him but this kind of play has to wet the appetites of some of the other contenders in the league.

The only thing that scares me is back problems. Who knows if that will be a recurring thing.

I think the ASG will be too scared to trade him unless we get a similar weapon back. I'm trying to think of someone who could provide some great offense and be a better defender. Who's giving up that guy though?

• Premium Member

'

Well, he's not as young as Joe and he hasn't been consistent throughout his career. BUT, we should go ahead and make the deal. I read a lot of talk from Kings people. Maloof said that we will have 20+ Million to spend and we will spend it. Targets include Jamal, Brooks, Love, and Gasol. I have a feeling that they will get at least 2 of these.

Everyone has figured out that the Hawks dont want to trade him and most contenders are not gonna be willing to give up a starting caliber bigman for a small.

If you trade him to a non contender for some picks or a salary dump well then he will probably do what everyone else does and try and get a buyout and then you are dealing with teams like the heat ,Bulls ,Bos ,even NY all vying for his services down the stretch.

There simply is not a player available that could impact our squad more than he does right now . You arent simply talking about someone who can knock down a few shots off the bench but someone who can come in and flat out carry the squad while our core is suffering from reoccurring brain freezes .

I remember a few comparing jamal to flip and flips not even in the league anymore if we cut jamal today the other top10- 12 teams in the league listed below would be all over him.This is one of those situations where something just fits and Im not sure I would want to screw with that .

San Antonio

Boston

Miami

Dallas

LA Lakers

Chicago

Utah

Oklahoma City

New York

New Orleans

• Admin

We are going to lose him in the offseason because he is going to command more money then we can pay.

If the right deal comes along I would jump on it. WIth his recent play his value is very high for a team in need of scoring, 3 pt shooting and/or a shooting guard help.

...although I would not trade him just to trade him. It needs to be for a piece to the puzzle that is going to make us a better team.

• Premium Member

This may be crazy talk, but we gotta find a way to keep Jamal on this team. It's not my money, but I'm pretty sure the ASG is thinking the same thing. It's kind of hard to say you're serious about bringing a Championship to ATL and then trade one of the most dangerous weapons off the bench in the league for draft picks and/or cap relief.

• Moderators

This may be crazy talk, but we gotta find a way to keep Jamal on this team. It's not my money, but I'm pretty sure the ASG is thinking the same thing. It's kind of hard to say you're serious about bringing a Championship to ATL and then trade one of the most dangerous weapons off the bench in the league for draft picks and/or cap relief.

They know they can't trade Jamal and not bring something back. That would equate to tanking. Would you do something like trade Jamal/Teague for Rip/Stuckey. We upgrade our PG of the future, get a guy who's not as good a scorer as jamal but plays better defense. Of course we're stuck with Rip's 12million for the next two years. Plus i can't see the pistons trading stuckey.

• Premium Member

They know they can't trade Jamal and not bring something back. That would equate to tanking. Would you do something like trade Jamal/Teague for Rip/Stuckey. We upgrade our PG of the future, get a guy who's not as good a scorer as jamal but plays better defense. Of course we're stuck with Rip's 12million for the next two years. Plus i can't see the pistons trading stuckey.

I don't think I would turn that deal down to be honest, especially if the ASG has already conceded that they can't resign Craw for what he's worth. I know Stuckey and the new Pistons coach had some issues early in the season, but I'm not sure those issues were bad enough for Stuckey to get sent packing. But with the way Jamal is playing now, I'd have a hard time justifying not trying to do everything I could to make sure this guy stays a Hawk if I was the ASG. I mean, even if a Crawford for Stuckey/Rip trade happened, I wouldn't be jumping for joy and I'm not sure any other fan would either although I'm sure everyone would agree that it's a nice trade. You know what I mean?

If they can't afford to keep Jamal then they sure as hell can't afford to keep RIP at 2 mill extra and a resigned Stuckey.

• Premium Member

If we could dump Marvin on someone we could keep Jamal around.

There are a lot of teams with Capspace that will trade for Marvin.

I say marvin to Minny for a protected first and then we sign Craw before the offseason.

• Premium Member

with Powell and Colins emerging with LD I would consider shopping Zaza and Marvin then signing Jamal in the offseason.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Moderators

If they can't afford to keep Jamal then they sure as hell can't afford to keep RIP at 2 mill extra and a resigned Stuckey.

The salaries this season are pretty close. They'd probably have to move someone in the offseason but even though Rip is at $12 million I think next season would be the final year on that contract. So he'd be a good cap relief trade then. Stuckey is on the books but we need him and Bibby will be in his final season next year too.

The salaries this season are pretty close. They'd probably have to move someone in the offseason but even though Rip is at $12 million I think next season would be the final year on that contract. So he'd be a good cap relief trade then. Stuckey is on the books but we need him and Bibby will be in his final season next year too.

Teague and Jamal don't even equal Rip's salary this season, with Stuckey we are definitely in the lux tax. You are also forgetting that Al's extension kicks in next season at around ~10 mil plus Rip's 12 mil and then you are also forgetting that Stuckey is entering restricted free agency. If we can't afford to pay Jamal ~8 mil next season because it puts us into lux tax how will we be able to afford around ~18 mil in additional salary instead?

Edited by CrawfulToCrawesome

• Premium Member

There are a lot of teams with Capspace that will trade for Marvin.

I wish the ASG would stop overrating Marvin.

Send Marvin to Cleveland for Moon. He'd be a good fit at SF on that rebuilding team and they can afford the salary difference long-term. Moon has the defensive length that the Hawks like about Marvin and saves the Hawks money to resign Crawford, who is obviously more important to the team's success.

I'd even try to expand the deal:

Marvin + JC2 + Zaza + 2011 first

-for-

Varejao + Moon

• Premium Member

When you're a player that can be pretty much replaced by Mo Evans, (for the doubters: what's our record with Mo in the starting lineup again?) that pretty much speaks to how much of an impact you are having on the team. Getting rid of Marvin's 7-9 million dollar a year salary would help us out greatly.

Guest Walter

Rick Sund has to place the call to new jersey asking if crawford and a 1st get a devin harris deal done as part of their attempts to placate denver.

It would seem we could do a better job of "helping NJ" than Detroit could as the rumors suggest is being discussed. I like Crawford/1st for Harris. I like better, A Jamal/Bibby/1st for Harris/Morrow deal.

We save a little money exchanging a shorter Bibby for longer Morrow contract while replacing a scorer in Crawford at the Sg position with a shooter/scorer. It's not much but the $2.5 mil we save next year, no 1st rd pick, and $2.5 mil in Evan's expiring deal (a total of right at $6 million next year, $4 million less than Jamal is making this year) MIGHT keep us out of the tax and therefore make our pathetic ownership sign on.

Harris might not be the perfect Pg for us, but he would be a VERY good one for us and his deal length matches Josh's and essentially Marvin's. We give it two years, possibly finding another slightly better center out there with MW's contract, and see.

W

The only trade that would make sense to me would be to trade offense for defense. Gerald Wallace would be a worthy trade and also make us very dangerous on defense combined with Smoove. We all know Smoove is our only consistent shot blocker and many complain about our perimeter defense. We would just have to convince Marvin to come off the bench and be the man (main scorer). All in all we have very capable scorers and when they are playing in Drew's offense correctly we can still be deadly on that end of the floor. I would still love to keep Jamal but if our hands were forced I would try to get Gerald keep the other Gerald's (Wilkin's) son and put Mo in the deal if needed.