• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Smitty vs. JJ...

Diesel

Had Smitty (in his prime) been the SG last year, would we have beaten ORL?

Nope

It wouldn't matter if Woody was still the coach.

All the ISOs plays, play right in to the Magic's hands.

They play JJ tight to defend his jumpshot, then if he tries to

drive they just funnel him toward Howard

• Premium Member

I love Smitty. He was my favorite player of his era. But it's not even close - JJ is the better player by a significant margin. Better shooter, better off the dribble, better passer, and just slightly lesser as a defender (Smitty was savvier, JJ is quicker and stronger). We don't get the #3 seed and probably don't even get home court advantage in the first round last year if Smitty was our SG instead of JJ.

Now, having a healthy JJ instead of an injured JJ might have made a difference against ORL - we still wouldn't have won the series with Woody's "strategy," but we might have snuck in a game or two.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

I think the only advantage Smitty had was clutch play. He always made big shots and had some big games in the playoffs. I do agree though that under Woody's offense he would have struggled. JJ is a much better one on one player who is able to use his strength as an advantage.

I don't think Smitty was going to stop Dwight. I'd give Smitty/mookie/deke a good chance though.

In Woody's defensive system you'd see Deke chasing Nelson and Mookie trying to defend Dwight in the post.

• Like 2

In Woody's defensive system you'd see Deke chasing Nelson and Mookie trying to defend Dwight in the post.

If Woody had 3 terrific defenders in his starting lineup, 2 of them being 1st team All-NBA like Deke and Mookie, he wouldn't have had to employ a switching defense. Hate on him for many things but his switching defense and ISO offense got the most out of this team that he could, especially on defense. Obviously it didn't work in the playoffs, but I'm not all that optimistic that what we're seeing this year from the same lineup in a new system will do any better in the playoffs.