Which player is often used as the scapegoat?

Marvin24Williams

• Premium Member

Everyone has their own personal whipping boy. JJ, Josh, and Marvin catch the most flak whether deserved or not, though not necessarily in that order. Jamal and (formerly) Bibby lag a bit behind.

It's much easier to gauge who gets the least flak: Al. He's my favorite player on the team, but yeah...he's rarely scapegoated. Although he'll move up the list quickly if he doesn't toughen back up in a hurry.

Marvin. I can't tell you how many times I've read "this would of been the perfect time for Marvin to score 20" or "step up" when every other starter had a bad game. It's as absurd as blaming Zaza for a loss or expecting him to have picked up 20 and 10 from the bench but it never fails. It's kind of funny too because whenever Marvin comes even close to 20 its usually a loss or a very close win essentially saying that no one else showed up.

Josh gets it for poor play but it evens out when he get's praised for great games. JJ is pointed out almost every night and pretty much gets a meh if he has a good night because "that's what he's paid to do". Al rarely if ever gets it but if he has a great game it's a ticker tape parade. Marvin on the other hand gets it for being Marvin, only a terrible game by another player let's him slide by but some poster is always quick to bring him up and then all of his great games go by the wayside because it was either a loss or some other hawk hit the game winner.

• Like 1

Current status of Scapegoat list:

Permanent residence at the top of it go to: ASG, LD (it starts at the top baby!)

Rising on the list are: Smoove, Jamal, Joe and (gasp!) Al

Still on it but no significant movement up or down: Marvin

Going down on the list (a.k.a., getting off the dart board): Wilkins, Teague

• Like 1

ASG and Sund all the way. I'm running our of adjectives to describe Joe's contract that is in excess of about 60 million if it fully matures. I dream of the day that he's gone altogether, but if he were being paid what he deserved here we could've easily added a borderline All-Star type at either position we are desperate to fill. I knew the ASG is a bunch of fools, but I didn't have Sund as such a dimwit to make that move. I've known for years what Joe was made of, which is very little to nothing. Cant blame him at all. Now our other shooting guard with heart, I don't blame, but am very surprised that he can't finish halves, lead us to victories, and at least play average defense like he did last year. I love Al, but think he's smelling himself a little too much and needs a great offseason to develop his post play and strengthen his leadership skills a little more because there is such a void there. How could I blame Marvin. Josh is just a wierdo who helps us win exactly as many games as the losses he spearheads. I'm totally indifferent towards the guy, so I'm never on the "Trade Josh" nor "Stop Blaming Josh" threads. And Coach? Come on. We see he's best suited to be a friend to the players in a low assistant role and keep quiet like Woody made him.

JJ, Smoove, Marvin are pretty much tied IMO as far as bashing for losses go. Then its our Coach at the time, Crawford, and Horford. Notice there is no PG here, that is because we do not have one. This team is never going to be successful until we get one. We are to much a mix of SG/SF/ and PFs and not enough PGs and Cs. Teams can win big with a small lineup but not without a having a premium PG to run the show.

It is not the players fault when we lose, fact is our team is not good enough at all five positions to contend. We are not built like the Lakers with Gasol and Bynum more like the old Pistons minus Chauncey and the Celtics now that they traded away Perk.

And even the old Pistons teams would have a hard time of it with more traditional teams like the Lakers, Spurs, and Magic. But I bet you they would not be swept two seasons in a row no matter what round they were playing in and they would have a chance. Whereas we do not without a Billups manning the point.

We need to get a better more traditional high quality starting center and/or a all-star caliber PG. Until that happens we should be blaming our ownership group and management first and foremost for every loss.

Side note concerning our swap of Bibby, Jordan, and a 1st for Hinrich. Jordan Crawford last three games: 134min, 73pts, 9rbs, 10 ast, 3stls vs 7to Looks like he is at least a Marcus Thorton type scorer and God forbid he turns out to be Jason Terry type sixth man.

Edited by Buzzard