• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How Can Drew Yell at Zaza?

JackB1

Apparant Drew and Zaza got into it last night when Drew yanked Zaza after he wasn't happy with Zaza's shot selection and told Zaza he was trying to do something out of his comfort zone.

Zaza takes maybe one shot a year that he shouldn't and Smith takes a dozen every night.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Zaza is a much worse jump shooter than Josh, but that just tells me that Drew is fine with Josh shooting jumpers (i.e., the shot isn't Zaza's since he shoots 24% efg% on jumpers but it is Josh's shot since he is better) which makes me think even less of the job he is doing as coach.

• Premium Member

Where did you hear that?

Not that I'm doubting, I just haven't heard that.

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2011/03/23/atlanta-hawks-bulls-114-hawks-81/

L.D. said he told Zaza he didn’t like the jump shot he attempted on the previous possession: “You don’t go on your own, you don’t start trying to do things you aren’t capable of doing. You don’t deviate from what the team is expecting. You continue to play the right way. That was either a shot where he saw he was about to come out of the game or just a bad shot.”

And yeah, my response is "when was the last time you said/did that to Josh?" It seems to me that LD doesn't have the respect or ear of Josh/JJ/Al/Jamal, so his tweaks, adjustments, and criticism are instead aimed at guys like Marvin, Zaza, and Teague. It's another sign of his weakness. He can't tangle with the big kids on the block so instead he picks on the little ones. Never mind that it's the big kids who are causing most of the trouble.

And AHF:

Zaza is a much worse jump shooter than Josh, but that just tells me that Drew is fine with Josh shooting jumpers (i.e., the shot isn't Zaza's since he shoots 24% efg% on jumpers but it is Josh's shot since he is better) which makes me think even less of the job he is doing as coach.

This year Josh is shooting better than Zaza from mid-range (ie 10-23 feet). Last year, Zaza shot considerably better than Josh from that range, and the two years before that they were basically equal. So Drew doesn't even really have that excuse.

Honestly, back in the days when Zaza was a starter, his midrange jumper was good for a big man. Far better than Josh's, certainly.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

Where did you hear that?

Not that I'm doubting, I just haven't heard that.

It was from MC's writeup last night:

L.D. said he told Zaza he didn’t like the jump shot he attempted on the previous possession: “You don’t go on your own, you don’t start trying to do things you aren’t capable of doing. You don’t deviate from what the team is expecting. You continue to play the right way. That was either a shot where he saw he was about to come out of the game or just a bad shot.”

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2011/03/23/atlanta-hawks-bulls-114-hawks-81/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

If I am Zaza I am pissed. One shot? Are you f***ing serious? Just look at what Josh does night in and night out, Drew needs to be axed for his enabling of our misguided players. I am tired of this team, they make me sick.

It was ridiculous. I saw it first hand and Zaza told him to go BEEP himself.... It was basically the most entertaining thin that happened last night... On a real note Larry Drew and Zaza should go be mediocre together somewhere..... At least Zaza tries as bad as he is sometimes.... What about Josh and joe who constantly loaf around all the time.... Larry Drew was bullying a 2nd string center says a lot more about Larry Drew than it does ZaZa IMO

• Moderators

It was ridiculous. I saw it first hand and Zaza told him to go BEEP himself.... It was basically the most entertaining thin that happened last night... On a real note Larry Drew and Zaza should go be mediocre together somewhere..... At least Zaza tries as bad as he is sometimes.... What about Josh and joe who constantly loaf around all the time.... Larry Drew was bullying a 2nd string center says a lot more about Larry Drew than it does ZaZa IMO

Hearing Drew's rationale about guys needing to play the "right way" regardless of the situation was just disheartening.

Either Drew doesn't understand the right way to play or he is not taking steps to get it through the heads of the more important players on the team. I can understand Zaza's reaction when he has to watch some terrible play from the starters + Craw as far as fundamentals and then he gets read the riot act for taking a single J. No argument it was a bad shot, but are you kidding me about this being where you are going to publicly draw the line with this team? Really?

It is like whining about a scratch on your car door when the other side of the car is smashed to hell after being T-boned. You can't argue that the scratch is less than ideal but wouldn't it be nice to pay the same attention to the smashed opposite side of the car?

Of all the people to be yelling at, Zaza is one of the last. At least he is out there giving 100% and at least when he plays he gets to the line. Larry Drew can't see the forest for the trees.

• Like 1

Of all the people to be yelling at, Zaza is one of the last. At least he is out there giving 100% and at least when he plays he gets to the line. Larry Drew can't see the forest for the trees.

Agree,, how many f***ing times has Smoove (25% 3 point shooter) attempted a 3 early in the shot clock?

Hearing Drew's rationale about guys needing to play the "right way" regardless of the situation was just disheartening.

Either Drew doesn't understand the right way to play or he is not taking steps to get it through the heads of the more important players on the team. I can understand Zaza's reaction when he has to watch some terrible play from the starters + Craw as far as fundamentals and then he gets read the riot act for taking a single J. No argument it was a bad shot, but are you kidding me about this being where you are going to publicly draw the line with this team? Really?

It is like whining about a scratch on your car door when the other side of the car is smashed to hell after being T-boned. You can't argue that the scratch is less than ideal but wouldn't it be nice to pay the same attention to the smashed opposite side of the car?

Exactly. This quote REALLY changed my opinion about Drew. How could he say this about Zaza, when this is the EXACT THING HE NEEDS TO SAY TO SMOOVE'S FACE!!! :bb: :bb: :bb:

We have no leader on the floor and our coach has now resorted to chewing out our backup center instead of chewing out our starters who show poor judgement. Hey Drew, grow a pair and pull Josh aside and give him some lip when he's trying to be Magic Johnson. Hey Drew, man up and take the ball away from Jamal when he tries to run the point. Hey LD, show some leadership to your entire team and maybe just maybe you can right this sinking ship.

I agree, Duff! Talk to him after the game maybe but not this ...