• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC's Ledbetter: "I’ve heard D. Howard and CP3 want to come here"

GameTime

I don't know anyone close to D12 which is why I am not sure he wants to come to Atlanta but I know personally CP3 wants to play here. This is why Hinrich contract is so damn important.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Trade Al Horford and Josh Smith, and maybe we can get Joe to restructure his contract (or something). That would be our chance to contend for a title.

Were not getting both of them. One or the other. CP3/Okafor or Dwight/(Gil or Turk)

Horford will stay with CP3 and Smith will stay with Dwight most likely. I am not Hawks management so I can't say to be exact. Teague is liked around the league especially by New Orleans and Jordan blowing up in Washington actually raised Teague's value.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

who is ledbetter and is he a respected reporter? why isn't MC reporting this or is this a guy with wishful thinking

He is, Football writer for AJC.

I'd be taking this one with a HUGE grain of salt. I'm not quite sure how a football writer would know something like this when the local basketball writers apparently don't even know it or are not reporting it. This type of thing has got 'BS' written all over it in my opinion.

It might begin to have some legs only if it came from a much more credible source than a football writer making some throwaway comment on his blog.

I wouldn't be that surprised if this is true, to some extent. It doesn't mean they're fixated on coming here to the exclusion of any other team. If they were, we'd actually have some leverage. But with other suitors, even if they like the idea of playing for the Hawks, either one is unlikely to wind up here. You saw how heavy the Knicks had to deal to get Melo when there was just one other bidder, and now that we've traded two assets to get Hinrich, we've handicapped ourselves in the limited trade market for superstars. People are talking about the Hinrich contract being important in this, and I fully believe them, but CP3/DH12 is not going to be traded for contracts. Ending contracts round out the deal and provide only speculative value for the team acquiring them. A team trading a superstar mostly wants star player(s)/prospects/picks in return, and we're short on all three.

Edited by CBAreject

I remember a long time ago Howard said he literally prayed that the Hawks would be able to draft him, and I remember CP3 also wanted the Hawks to draft him, and I'm sure they'd love to play together in Atlanta if it were possible . . . I just don't see how it's possible.

Getting even one of them probably isn't realistic, but if I could choose one I'd rather have Howard. If we could pair him with either Josh or Al at power forward, we'd have the most athletic 4-5 combo in the league by far. Al would be especially good because he has such a great jump shot and we would dominate the boards, but Josh would also be great - no one would want to come in the lane.

Led can't even break Falcons news when it happen. We stand a better chances of signing prime Bill Russell. Make no mistake i am not shock Paul would want to come here. He made that pretty damn clear heading into the draft and soon afterwards. Howard on the other hand is likely gone Hollywood. There are reports Magic are already preparing trade talks regarding Howard.

I remember a long time ago Howard said he literally prayed that the Hawks would be able to draft him, and I remember CP3 also wanted the Hawks to draft him, and I'm sure they'd love to play together in Atlanta if it were possible . . . I just don't see how it's possible.

Getting even one of them probably isn't realistic, but if I could choose one I'd rather have Howard. If we could pair him with either Josh or Al at power forward, we'd have the most athletic 4-5 combo in the league by far. Al would be especially good because he has such a great jump shot and we would dominate the boards, but Josh would also be great - no one would want to come in the lane.

It's actually very possible.

1st, how to get Dwight.

This trade (IMHO) would have to include Joe Johnson and Al Horford and taking back a bad contract from Orlando. Combined, the 2 make $30, 038, 573 next year. Dwight is set to make 17.9 million. So at initial look, the Hawks need to swing back 12 million from Orlando. But Orlando will want to dump Gilbert Arenas in any such deal who is set to make 19.3 million. So we have a 7.3 million dollar vacancy. Add Marvin in the deal and you have the framework of a deal. Howard, Arenas, for Joe, Al, Marvin. There will have to be draft picks as Taking back Arenas is a negative. So let's assume a 1st from Orlando.

That one was easy in principle. Not entirely realistic as Arenas' contract is an albatross but let's work with it.

So now you have (assuming Crawford were resigned for the 7.5 million he's worth):

Howard/Pachulia

Smith

(Filler)

Crawford/Arenas

Hinrich/Teague

71.5 million in Salaries - The you can easily resign Hilton Armstrong, Damien Wilkens, Pape Sy and or sign and trade them later.

We in this scenario are extremely Guard heavy if trying to acquire Paul and are in need of 2 more players with no cap room.

This is where we move Arenas' contract and fill in the roster.

You would send Arenas and someone of value like Teague and Pachulia for a total salary sent of 26 million and take back CP3 and a combination of players that = the same (like Marco Belinelli, Aaron Gray and a resigned Carl Landry or Trevor Ariza. We'll use Ariza for sake of argument. To do this you really need to throw draft picks at NO. Orlandos from the first deal and one of yours and maybe a second. But assuming you can swing this, this is how the team looks.

Howard/Gray

Smith/Armstrong

Ariza/Wilkens/

Crawford/Belinelli

Paul/Hinrich/Sy

Not much in the way of draft picks in the future but you are rid of Marvin, Joe's contract, etc.

The starting 5 of Chris Paul, Jamal Crawford, Trevor Ariza, Josh Smith and Dwight Howard would be amazing. Defensively with Smith and Howard the middle is owned. Outside shooting is solid...perimeter defense is better than average. Hinich/Belinelli off the bench can lead any group.

I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS WHAT WOULD HAPPEN. I'm just saying it could be done if all parties were motivated.

FYI...

Orlando would be a very good / efficient team after the trade....scary good.

The Hornets know they aren't going anywhere and would just be looking for value. They've peaked.

I'm just going to say this is highly unlikely. The Hawks would have to do have a Miami Heat type off-season in order to get this done. That would require another team picking up Marvins contract for next to nothing. Joe restructuring his contract or being traded. And I highly doubt any team other than the NYK would take JJ and he's human so who is going to decrease their pay rate?

Josh Smith or Al Horford would need to be traded. I would love to keep both but that will never happen.

I will say this, if we were to get Dwight and CP3 I am very confident almost every game would be sold-out. Let's use the Falcons as an example. Prio to Mick Vick they rarely if ever sold out games. Now they are selling out almost every game with Matt Ryan and Co. at the helm. Atlanta would defintely support the team if the proper pieces were there.

There is no way we can get both CP3 and Dwight. That's impossible.

That means his opinions on anything Hawk related shouldn't even be counted. LOL @ hearing that Howard and CP3 wants to come here. From who? Some blogger like us that hope and wish they'd come here?

What's next? Did he hear that Albert Pujols wants to be a Brave too?

Good point, my bad on my part.

• Premium Member

The source is probably MC since he and DOL are BFF at the AJC in ATL GA.

Edited by NineOhTheRino