• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe on his approach to game 4

Supporter

“Honestly, I just got to force the issue,” Joe said. “In Game 4, I am definitely going to do that. I am not going to succumb to the double team and give it up every time because that’s what they want. We are playing right into their hands. I blame myself for that.”

per AJC, Michael Cunningham

So what do you guys think, personally I like the mentality but Joe isn't talented enough to make plays through a double team and he is just too damn slow. But on the other hand nobody is really stepping up when either he or Jamal gets doubled. What I wanna know is, if one of them is getting doubled, can't the other one get free or get at least single coverage?

Sounds like the same thing he was saying before we got swept at home by Cleveland a couple of years ago when he resorted to jacking 27 ft 3's. Probably will end in the same results him getting booed off the court.

• Like 1

“Honestly, I just got to force the issue,” Joe said. “In Game 4, I am definitely going to do that. I am not going to succumb to the double team and give it up every time because that’s what they want. We are playing right into their hands. I blame myself for that.”

So what do you guys think, personally I like the mentality but Joe isn't talented enough to make plays through a double team and he is just too damn slow. But on the other hand nobody is really stepping up when either he or Jamal gets doubled. What I wanna know is, if one of them is getting doubled, can't the other one get free or get at least single coverage?

My question is...Why aren't we doing the same thing to Rose? They know we cant win with that kind of production from our scorers unless our frontline steps up. We need to try and execute the same strategy towards them. Let deng or bogans beat us instead of Korver and rose.

• Premium Member

I saw Joe break through a few doubles to score. I think it has to be a team effort. I like the desire that Joe has but you could see the Hawks deflate when we were coming back and Josh Smith took a bone headed shot, not box out on Noah, then make an errant pass in 3 consec plays. However, after that, Josh got his game going better but we just have to think better and play better from the outset.

Jamal can't put up every long jumper (if they are not hitting).

Horf can't pick and pop all game (if it's not hitting),

Josh has to play a complete well thought out game.

Teague has been the only Hawk with NO FEAR...

And Damien.

I'm tired of seeing us play 4 on 5 basketball with Marvin G. Williams.

Joe certainly hasn't forgotten how to score. They didn't double in game one and he murdered them. Same thing with Crawford. I don't think it is a talent thing at all. As it was just mentioned, the frontcourt MUST make them pay for trying to double/shadow all game. We have a 5 time allstar and a prolific scorer at SG that can't get a quality shot off because the other 3 guys haven't shown up consistently.

We need Josh Smith in the paint using his athleticism to crash the offensive boards and get a few OREBs as opposed to being a nonfactor 20ft from the rim. I want the gritty, hard-nosed Horford from 2008 back. Add that style of play to his vastly improved outside shot and he would really have something. We just need SOMETHING productive from Marvin. 2008-2009 Marvin looked to possibly have allstar potential. Sorry for the rant.

:alcoholic:

This Hawks team has proven, over and over, they can't handle "In your face" defense.

We had time to adjust before we came home. Didn't. Can we adjust now?

Can't blame one player. They are all, collectively, guilty.

• Like 1

Totally agree with JJ. I'm just mad that it took him this long to realize this. For all of the talk about him being a ball hog, he shoots less than just about every main scorer in the league.

The Hawks have made the mistake all year in running an offense in which the open guy takes the shot. We don't have good enough shooters to run an offense like that, if we're not getting layups out of the halfcourt sets.

We can't win if JJ is only taking 12 shots. This team has enough problems scoring the basketball as it is, so our main guy must be much more assertive in his offensive approach.

And that means not wasting his dribble, and do something with it. He has to go . . and go quick. He should already have in mind what shot he wants to shoot, before the pass even gets to him.

• Like 2

Totally agree with JJ. I'm just mad that it took him this long to realize this. For all of the talk about him being a ball hog, he shoots less than just about every main scorer in the league.

The Hawks have made the mistake all year in running an offense in which the open guy takes the shot. We don't have good enough shooters to run an offense like that, if we're not getting layups out of the halfcourt sets.

We can't win if JJ is only taking 12 shots. This team has enough problems scoring the basketball as it is, so our main guy must be much more assertive in his offensive approach.

And that means not wasting his dribble, and do something with it. He has to go . . and go quick. He should already have in mind what shot he wants to shoot, before the pass even gets to him.

Agree if Joe comes out with quick decisions instead of waiting to see how the defense reacts I have better hopes for him. If he was quicker sure, reading the defense would be essential but he is too slow and the defense reacts to fast to him so I would rather just see him go as soon as he gets the ball instead of waiting and reading.

Sounds like a good approach. I suspect he'll get the Josh Smith treatment from the fans. Not a single player on this team can score effectively if they face a tough defense.

Whatever, i'm getting more and more tired of people around here everyday. JJ has balled hard every game in this series. Him and Teague are the only ones giving effort throughout the game and getting mad. Sure, Josh gets mad when he flops and they don't call anything, and Zaza gets mad when he gets run into and hugs somebody and they call it a foul, but it's not the same.

JJ is the reason we even won ONE game this series, he led us single-handedly to a game 1 victory, with outside contributions from Teague and Craw. However, Joe came to play early in game 2 and nobody else was there for him besides Teague. JJ and Teague both came to play in game 3, but then after halftime, Drew tried to get Horf and Smoove involved so JJ didn't get any shots late, but he had a stellar first half.

JJ is capable of tearing apart whoever is on him, and i'm thinking he is capable of tearing apart a double team too, especially if he anticipates it. The bad part about this is that nobody on our team can hit threes consistently, besides Craw maybe, so if they double from the perimeter, we are still ion no better of a situation. Did you see all the times Joe got doubled and the only man open was Josh Smith at the three point line...? Of course JJ is going to be slow to pass to him because he has seen what has happened every time he does.

Sure, you guys are upset because we got owned again last game, but you guys are hating on every single player besides Teague. SOMEBODY has to hold the ball, and I want it to be a combination of JJ/Teague, WE JUST NEED PEOPLE TO MOVE WHEN JOE HAS THE BALL GETTING TRAPPED. What is Joe supposed to do when somebody doubles from across the court and the person whose man left him just chills there...?

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Whatever, i'm getting more and more tired of people around here everyday. JJ has balled hard every game in this series. Him and Teague are the only ones giving effort throughout the game and getting mad. Sure, Josh gets mad when he flops and they don't call anything, and Zaza gets mad when he gets run into and hugs somebody and they call it a foul, but it's not the same.

JJ is the reason we even won ONE game this series, he led us single-handedly to a game 1 victory, with outside contributions from Teague and Craw. However, Joe came to play early in game 2 and nobody else was there for him besides Teague. JJ and Teague both came to play in game 3, but then after halftime, Drew tried to get Horf and Smoove involved so JJ didn't get any shots late, but he had a stellar first half.

JJ is capable of tearing apart whoever is on him, and i'm thinking he is capable of tearing apart a double team too, especially if he anticipates it. The bad part about this is that nobody on our team can hit threes consistently, besides Craw maybe, so if they double from the perimeter, we are still ion no better of a situation. Did you see all the times Joe got doubled and the only man open was Josh Smith at the three point line...? Of course JJ is going to be slow to pass to him because he has seen what has happened every time he does.

Sure, you guys are upset because we got owned again last game, but you guys are hating on every single player besides Teague. SOMEBODY has to hold the ball, and I want it to be a combination of JJ/Teague, WE JUST NEED PEOPLE TO MOVE WHEN JOE HAS THE BALL GETTING TRAPPED. What is Joe supposed to do when somebody doubles from across the court and the person whose man left him just chills there...?

This.

joe has balled hard every game ?? I need to go re watch the tapes to see what you are seeing ...

Joe has been doing what everyone has been complaining about for years about him not doing, letting everyone else get theirs. Him and Jamal need not play hero ball but play star ball instead from now on. They've given the frontcourt 3 chances to show up and they've squandered it away so I feel that Joe and Jamal having anything less than 18 attempts each next game will be a failure and far worse than allowing the bigs to walk around like headless chickens.

“Honestly, I don't know man,” Joe said. “In Game 4, I am definitely going to force shots. I am not going to succumb to the double team and give it up every time because honestly, I'm a superstar. We are not playing iso basketball. I blame myself for that.”

fixed

Edited by WhassupHawks