• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

BR goes in on Marvin.

Diesel

• Premium Member

BR on Marvin

You have to admit that everything said is true... but get this:

To date, Williams' best season as the Hawks small forward was in 2007-2008, when he put up 14.8 points, 5.7 rebounds and 1.4 assists per game.

Marvin Williams = Contract player.

Marvin fans, what's the difference between 2007-2008 and Now?

where's the excuse?

Marvin fans, what's the difference between 2007-2008 and Now?

Marvin fans? C'mon Diesel, you know better than that. Unless his parents post here, I'm pretty sure there are no more Marvin fans left on this board. That boat done sailed a long time ago, and at this point everyone realizes that Marvin just pretty much plain sucks as a basketball player.

Well at this point in time his place is as a backup role player. He certainly can help as a 3/4 defender and rebounder. If he focused in those areas he can be productive for 6-7 more years. The problem is his salary. He didnt draft himself so he should not be blasted for it. He didn't offer him to his contract either. What can be applauded is LD not starting him. If the CBA miraculously allows teams to restructure contracts we could redo his contract. Otherwise he is on the block in a package.

• Premium Member

OK, since we're obviously not going to be able to move Marvin easily... Let's make this fun...

Here's the man on the street question to make us having Marvin fun:

Instead of improving his basketball game, what is Marvin doing this summer?

and I will go first...

Working on his table tennis over hand smash!

Edited by Diesel

OK, since we're obviously not going to be able to move Marvin easily... Let's make this fun...

and I will go first...

I C. Because " since we're obviously not going to be able to move Marvin easily" we should digress to mockery.

It's too early for the brown. :resent:

Edited by Swatguy

Was hoping B-R.com was basketball-reference.com (i.e., a statistical analysis). You could've written a better article than that one, Diesel.

That was my first thought as well. Thoroughly disappointed it was just some Bleacher Report article but was I foolish to expect that any credible source would even bother writing an article on Marvin in the first place?

Why would anybody every read a bleacher report article and expect anything intelligent? I wrote a few articles over there, and then wrote one that got deleted, got me banned, and then two days later, another user (senior analyst) used my article word for word....

f*** bleacher report.

LOL . . I'd kill for the 2007 - 08 version of Marvin that averaged 15 ppg, could make 45% of his midrange jumpers, and got to the line almost 18% of the time. AT least that guy was a productive starter.

The Marvin of today has literally let Flip, then Jamal take half of his shots and about 1/4 of his minutes over the past 3 seasons. Flip and Jamal simply balled, while Marvin regressed. So it's Marvin's fault that the coach has to bench him in the 4th quarters of games, because he isn't producing.

Looking at Marvin's career as a Hawk, it strikes me that in the evaluation process of his talent in high school and college, no one seemed to pick up on the fact that this guy has no grace when it comes to driving the basketball and being able to absorb contact. Sure, we've seen Marv make some amazing highlight dunks over the years(remember the one on Camby about 2 or 3 years ago?) But I know I'm not the only one who has noticed that basically every single time he has ever driven the ball and someone stepped into position him on defense, Marv would hit them and lose all composure and almost look like he is going to fall on his *ss and hurt himself and people around him. How was this never seen before he was drafted? Dude is like a cartoon falling down!

Marvin fans? C'mon Diesel, you know better than that. Unless his parents post here, I'm pretty sure there are no more Marvin fans left on this board. That boat done sailed a long time ago, and at this point everyone realizes that Marvin just pretty much plain sucks as a basketball player.

I'm the biggest Marvin fan in this world. I still believe in the dude

and I will go first...

Watching his Spongebob and Dora Explorer DVD's.

• Premium Member

I C. Because " since we're obviously not going to be able to move Marvin easily" we should digress to mockery.

It's too early for the brown. :resent:

Sometimes it's better to laugh than to cry.

Sometimes it's better to mock than to be outright bitter.

This is one of those times. Had I said "what's Shelden doing today?" You guys would have gone all in... With several references to Candice. Why does Marvin always get a pass.

Moreover, the Bleacher Report only highlighted the facts... not conjecture. Marvin's best year was 2007-2008... Since then, he has been a big disappointment.

Marvin fans are quick to blame it on Flip and Jamal?

Well, it seems to me that when given a chance, Marvin doesn't try to produce.

He spends his summers studying for life after basketball instead of working on his basketball life.

You mean to tell me that we're paying a guy 8 million dollars to better himself somewhere other than the basketball court?

He's going to make a great color guy.

Maybe he can work alongside Barry and talk badly about the Hawks?

Was hoping B-R.com was basketball-reference.com (i.e., a statistical analysis). You could've written a better article than that one, Diesel.

That's what I was thinking too wondering what or whom BR is and then I finally saw it on a computer just now instead of my iPhone and realized D was trying to disguise the fact that it was just a fan written hate piece about Marvin. The fact is that Marvin probably has very few, if any, supporters left here so I think D could have been up front about it being a fan piece from the beginning and still gotten the support he was looking for.

At this point D you should just be happy that you can sit back and say that you were right about Marvin all along while the rest of us who defended him were wrong.

• Moderators

I'm the biggest Marvin fan in this world. I still believe in the dude

What does it mean to believe in Marvin at this point?

Is it believing that he will become a star ala Chauncey Billups (emerged at 26 to be a multiple All-NBA player)?

Believing that he will become a borderline All-Star ala Gerald Wallace (sometimes spectacular, regular impact)?

Become a plus starter ala Tayshaun Prince (rarely spectacular but always a plus contributor)?

Become a solid starter (holds his own but doesn't really add anything)?

Become a valuable role player (too many holes in his game to start but has enough game to exploit matchups night in and night out)?

Sometimes it's better to laugh than to cry.

Sometimes it's better to mock than to be outright bitter.

This is one of those times. Had I said "what's Shelden doing today?" You guys would have gone all in... With several references to Candice. Why does Marvin always get a pass.

Moreover, the Bleacher Report only highlighted the facts... not conjecture. Marvin's best year was 2007-2008... Since then, he has been a big disappointment.

Marvin fans are quick to blame it on Flip and Jamal?

Well, it seems to me that when given a chance, Marvin doesn't try to produce.

He spends his summers studying for life after basketball instead of working on his basketball life.

You mean to tell me that we're paying a guy 8 million dollars to better himself somewhere other than the basketball court?

He's going to make a great color guy.

Maybe he can work alongside Barry and talk badly about the Hawks?

Marvin said in his "At Home" segment, that he was a football player. That he Loved football, but then he grew tall. At this point he was a basketball player not because of love and passion but because he was too tall for football and he was actually good at basketball. The guy does not seem and never had a passion for basketball. But they pay him well, so.

Each and every one of us is different. Some of us require a pat on the back and some require a kick in the tush.

Sometimes we really get motivated and do some pretty nice things.

Somehow, Marvin has become the red headed step child of the Atlants Hawks. Tolerated, but just barely. No one

really wants him to remain in Atlanta. Coaches shuffle him off to the bench, replace him for long periods of time

with someone who can shoot and that's it. Flip & Crawford.

Marvin is just easy going. If you want someone else in my place, go for it.

Can Marvin become a good player? Yes he can. But, not in Atlanta. No one can forgive him for not being CP3.

Woody failed to motivate him. Ditto our new coach.

Is it the fault that he was drafted where he was? Heck no. He had no control over this. Yet, we hate him for it.

Can we fault the Atlanta coached? No. They are not the ones who are out there on the court. Marvin is. Yet,

many times we see Marvin "Out of the play" on offense. Was this his fault or was it the way the team offense

was set up? Who can say?

Everyone wants Marvin gone. Doesn't matter how. Just leave. Trade player A for player B and throw Marvin in.

With the right coach and the right team, Marvin will return to Atlanta and bite us on the tush, over and over. You

heard it here first!

:stirthepot:

Edited by Gray Mule