• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wojnarowski: Hawks getting increased volume of calls about Smith

Admin

Nothing much here but if this is true maybe we'll see something happen today.

From Twitter ...

Steve Kyler: Word is Atlanta wants a first round pick and to shed cap cash... Andre Miller and the #21 achieve both... 4 minutes ago

Evan Dunlap: On rumored Andre Miller/Jameer Nelson trade, 1st reported by @Jonathan Givony. Source couldn't confirm or deny. http://sbn.to/lC0iJA about 5 minutes ago

If all we want for Josh Smith is a 1st rounder in an awful draft and to shed cash then I'm going to be furious.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

If I'm understanding Kyler correctly, he's essentially reporting that some source thinks Smoove = Jameer = Andre Miller + #21 pick.

Yet, just two days ago, the HoopsWorld writer said:

Josh Smith: The Atlanta Hawks have got to flip some of their salary cap into more assets and that has put forward Josh Smith firmly on the trading block.

Don't fall into the trap of believing the Hawks "want" to trade Josh Smith, they have simply come to the understanding that as constructed they are not going to get radically better and Smith is a big enough talent that he could return a couple of nice chips.

The Hawks desperately want a center, and that's going to be the starting point on any deal involving J-Smoove. The problem with Josh Smith is he is not owed a ton of money; he is slated to earn $12.5 million next season with his contract ending in 2012-2013 with a final year of $13.3 million.

Normally a player like Smith being owed 2 years and $25 million would be a no-brainer, but the fact that Smith alone doesn't return a lot means a deal for the Hawks would have to include another player.

With the Hawks being up for sale, and ownership losing its interest in funding losses, the Hawks may have to force Marvin Williams and his three years and $24.9 million into any transaction in order to return enough of the assets Atlanta is seeking.

Atlanta has seven players under contract and has $66 million in salary commitments. So not only does Atlanta need to flip Smith for a center, they need to replace his production on the cheap.

It is very likely Josh Smith is moved this week, but keep in mind that while both sides would welcome a change; this is a move of necessity first.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20190#ixzz1Q7Ouaxri

And then, of course, the separate report that Sund is fielding a surge of calls... which is the one report that I have faith is totally credible.

• Admin

From Twitter ...

If all we want for Josh Smith is a 1st rounder in an awful draft and to shed cash then I'm going to be furious.

A deal like that just says we are NEVER going to be a competitive team with this ownership. Giving players away to save money means that we are going back to lottery land

Unless they're going to play Aldridge at Center, why the heck would Portland want Josh Smith? They've got Gerald Wallace (a player I'd love for us to get) to play SF, so those Josh can play the 3 or 4 need not speak up here. It seems like Miller's non-guaranteed, expiring deal could be better used to plug in another, more pressing need for Portland. I'm guessing they re-sign Oden so that gives them Aldridge, Oden, Camby, Smith to compete for PT at 2 positions? Aldridge would be undersized at Center wouldn't he?

I knew they wanted to dump Marvin along with Josh. Probably won't get an expiring for Marvin, but at least a two-year contract instead of a three-year one.

Hmmm....Marvin -for- Andre Miller works.

I guess I could stand that as long as we moved Andre to someone else and got some type of asset. I'm not a big believer in Marvin anymore but even if we trade for Andre and cut him we'll still be over the cap and might have trouble finding someone to replace Marvin. Maybe the Magic would give us Miller (to waive) plus #21 and Orton for Marvin? But then who would Orlando have at PG, Arenas??

Is this franchised cursed?

Why make such a greedy selfish move? Just to save money?

How about win an title to get more butts in the seats? :suicide:

Unless they're going to play Aldridge at Center, why the heck would Portland want Josh Smith? They've got Gerald Wallace (a player I'd love for us to get) to play SF, so those Josh can play the 3 or 4 need not speak up here. It seems like Miller's non-guaranteed, expiring deal could be better used to plug in another, more pressing need for Portland. I'm guessing they re-sign Oden so that gives them Aldridge, Oden, Camby, Smith to compete for PT at 2 positions? Aldridge would be undersized at Center wouldn't he?

Why would Smith be going to Portland? The thinking here is that Jameer goes to Portland and Miller/21 goes to Atlanta and Smith goes to Orlando. It sucks, but that's what it sounds like could be happening.

Zach McCann: If the Magic can get Iggy or Smith, they'll roll the dice with Arenas at starting PG. That's the position they're in, for better or worse. about 7 minutes ago

Why would Smith be going to Portland? The thinking here is that Jameer goes to Portland and Miller/21 goes to Atlanta and Smith goes to Orlando. It sucks, but that's what it sounds like could be happening.

I thought the deal was straight up with Portland. If it's part of the rumored 3 team deal we've heard about where Smith goes to Orlando, I understand now, but in that scenario, we were getting Camby, Miller, Anderson, and Duhon for Smith and Marvin. It was a slightly different than just Smith for Miller and a pick. That what my point.

I just don't see Josh as the big problem salary wise. Joe has the mega contract, but it does seem he is attractive to teams wanting to add a guy that puts them over the top (Chicago, NY?). Marvin is the problem that can't be dealt with since no one would want him at his price. Josh has lots of flaws (well only one that counts - standing too far from the basket before he shoots) but his pay isn't one of them.

Now if ASG just wants to dump salary, I guess Josh is the easiest guy to move. I do think, however, he's one of the few guys on the team that can sell tickets. You know that even if the Hawks play lousy and lose, you might see a few of Josh's alley oops. He's about the only exciting guy we've got.

• Premium Member

From Twitter ...

...and a late 1st rounder at that. You won't be the only one pissed off. Never in my life have I considered boycotting the team, but if Smoove is dumped for nothing...I will not follow this team until we get new ownership. At a minimum, Josh Smith is worth a decent lottery pick. And if we are demolishing this thing, why not GET something of substance before you just dump everything.

Nonsense. If any of these proposed trades are true, then I'm afraid this damn franchise will just never get it.