• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe's truck back in the news

NJHAWK

• Premium Member

who cares. Joe is a millionaire he earned that money

hmmmm...I agree with the millionaire part.

• Like 2

The average sports fan is simply jealous of athletes who make a ton of money. It's been like that for years.

It is funny though. No one has a problem with a mediocre actor making a ton of money. But let an athlete secure even a 10 million dollar per year salary, people have a fit. Here is an interesting article from Forbes.com, stating the top 10 paid actors between June 2009 - June 2010.

1) Johnny Depp - 75 million ( major film that year = Alice in Wonderland )

2) Ben Stiller - 53 million ( Meet the Parents )

3) Tom Hanks - 45 million ( Angels and Demons )

4) Adam Sandler - 40 million ( Paul Blart: Mall Cop - producer )

5) Leonardo DiCaprio - 28 million ( Shutter Island )

6) Daniel Radcliffe - 25 million ( Harry Potter )

7) Robert Downey Jr - 22 million ( Sherlock Holmes/Iron Man residuals )

8 ) Tom Cruise - 22 million ( Knight and Day )

9) Brad Pitt - ( Inglorious Bastards residuals )

10) George Clooney - ( Up in the Air )

You look at a list like this, and people have no problem. But when a kid coming out of college secures a multi-million contract, people have a fit and talk as if they don't deserve the money. Then when he becomes one of the top players in that sport, and secures a mega-million dollar deal, the green eyes of jealousy REALLY come out. I wonder why that is?

As for Joe . . to date he has made a little over 90 million as an athlete ( 85 million as a member of the Atlanta Hawks ). 5 All-Star appearances, one 3rd team All-NBA selection, 4 consecutive playoff appearance, no NBA Finals appearances or NBA Finals appearances.

But people talk about him "wasting money" on a $200,000 truck? John Travolta owns 5 planes, including a Boeing 707, but Joe's "super truck" is a problem? GTFOH.

As for Joe's truck. This is how it looked when he first bought it

joe-johnsons-super-truck.jpg

This is how it looks today . . . his 2011 version

Screen_shot_2011-06-28_at_8.50.29_PM.png

I'm sorry folks. JJ may have not picked the best color in the world for that truck, but that Ford F-650 XUV that JJ drives is BAD AZZ. Forget a Maybach . . give me THIS TRUCK.

http://extremesupertruck.com/supertruck_m104.html

A real good shot of JJ's 1st version of this truck is in that link.

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 2

The average sports fan is simply jealous of athletes who make a ton of money. It's been like that for years.

It is funny though. No one has a problem with a mediocre actor making a ton of money. But let an athlete secure even a 10 million dollar per year salary, people have a fit. Here is an interesting article from Forbes.com, stating the top 10 paid actors between June 2009 - June 2010.

You look at a list like this, and people have no problem. But when a kid coming out of college secures a multi-million contract, people have a fit and talk as if they don't deserve the money. Then when he becomes one of the top players in that sport, and secures a mega-million dollar deal, the green eyes of jealousy REALLY come out. I wonder why that is?

As for Joe . . to date he has made a little over 90 million as an athlete ( 85 million as a member of the Atlanta Hawks ). 5 All-Star appearances, one 3rd team All-NBA selection, 4 consecutive playoff appearance, no NBA Finals appearances or NBA Finals appearances.

But people talk about him "wasting money" on a $200,000 truck? John Travolta owns 5 planes, including a Boeing 707, but Joe's "super truck" is a problem? GTFOH.

As for Joe's truck. This is how it looked when he first bought it

joe-johnsons-super-truck.jpg

This is how it looks today . . . his 2011 version

Screen_shot_2011-06-28_at_8.50.29_PM.png

I'm sorry folks. JJ may have not picked the best color in the world for that truck, but that Ford F-650 XUV that JJ drives is BAD AZZ. Forget a Maybach . . give me THIS TRUCK.

http://extremesupertruck.com/supertruck_m104.html

A real good shot of JJ's 1st version of this truck is in that link.

Name of external link

You think this is Joe's wife in the last picture? haha.

Don't agree that he's earned it. Not for a second.

But that sucker gets 3 mpg.

- 5 all-star appearances

- 4 straight playoff appearances for the Hawks ( after the Hawks had been dormant for 8 straight years )

- one 3rd team All-NBA selection

Of course he didn't "earn" his latest contract . . but there's no denying that he deserves to be paid like a top 25 player for what he's done over the past 6 years. And all I know is of the playoff games that we DID WIN the past 4 seasons, JJ was the main, or one of the main reasons 75% of the time.

But back to the truck. A BEAST!!

LOL . . if I had 200K to blow like JJ, that's what I'd definitely get. And it wouldn't get driven everyday either.

Name of external link

You think this is Joe's wife in the last picture? haha.

LOL . . if it is, he didn't pick a bad looking one, that's for sure.

That truck is sweet. I can imagine the women seeing that truck for the first time. Be like . . . "ooooooooooo . . . who is driving that !!!"

He may have painted it gold, because that's an instant golddigger attraction.

• Premium Member

People who entertain for a living just aren't that bright. There's always an exception but for the most part they're narcissistic idiots. The same goes for very attractive women.

Coming into wealth is hard period.

The average American couldn't keep their head above water given the money.. and the lottery proves it. The truth is that the average american never learn how to "hide" money or how to make money make money so they are ripe for the pickings. That's what happens to athletes and entertainers.

For example, you sign a 5 yr, 100 million dollar contract.

That's 20 Million dollars per year right?

Wrong, that's ~13.5 Million per year after you taxes.

Then if you have an agent, thats' roughly 11.0 Million dollars.

But here's the thing. As a professional athlete, you have:

Trainer

Nutritionist

Body Guard

Publicist

Manager

Player Association dues

Retirement fund

all this before we started to splurge on anything. And yes, all of these things are necessary.

You still make more than the average American.. but wait.. there's more...

You have to realize that you will only be earning for as long as you're playing. That means that if you're money's not making money, then taxes will eat at you year after year because you're still going to be a millionaire... and you wills till have to pay millionaire taxes.

But here's the interesting part...

We've just spent about 80 Million of that 100 Million dollar contract.

You haven't bought houses for you or your mother. You haven't bought cars. You haven't splurged on clothes. All you have done is pay the people around you who basically keep up your image.

And your future is not set yet.

That's why what all players ought to do is find a consulting team that they can trust. Not just one financial adviser but a team of different advisers. This is what Jordan did. The end result is that he was filty rich...They allowed all of his money to make money. Plus Jordan is cheap.

Im going to guess because most people dont root for actors. Actors dont hamper the home or favorite team by making too much money and not playing up to the contract. You dont get too see how an actor treats his director on set or if he isnt giving effort and just waltzing up and down the court or field. IMO Actors/actresses are over paid waaaaaay more than athletes. Actors get $$$$$$ for playing pretend, lol. People pay $$$$ to watch folks play pretend. When they f up the diector just yells cut. Sports are live and most are not pre planned. They are actually doing something imo. Ive never payed a quarter to see those 10 guys you listed do anything even something as simple as playing pretend. I have no respect for folks who play pretend on set, maybe some for the ones who do it live in plays and such.

That's why what all players ought to do is find a consulting team that they can trust. Not just one financial adviser but a team of different advisers.

Or practice a bit of self-reliance and learn how to handle that yourself. It's not that hard to learn how to handle money, all it requires is discipline and due diligence. To me it's much better to rely on ones own self regarding money, as there is no adviser out there who's going to care as much about your money as you do, so therefore it's on you to take care of your own business. Cripes, I've made a fricken small fortune by investing in the stock market, to the tune where my annualized net worth is growing by anywhere between 8-16 percent per year counting dividends, and that's all due to my own efforts in reading and reading and learning and learning as much as I possibly can about investing. And that's not to brag about it either, as I'm just an average guy who has whiffed and whiffed hard in the stock market plenty of times. I've gotten absolutely hammered on my Chinese investments due to rumored fraud and the near total lack of opacity in Chinese companies and markets, but it's all a learning process, gains and losses both, and it's all on me no matter what, and I like that and that's exactly how it should be. It requires work, but it's totally rewarding both financially and in knowledge gained.

Relying on advisers while remaining completely uneducated on finances leaves yourself totally open to getting screwed over, and that happens to athletes far too often. Just watched that HBO special on Marcus Dupree, and how all those so dearly earned millions he made disappeared into the hands of his trusted 'adviser', never to be seen again, and how he ended up flat broke and working on the loading dock of a trucking company. Lesson being, you need to take care of yourself and watch your own stuff, and the more educated you become on your own finances, the better.