• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Waive Sy, Rolle, and Wanamaker (Update: Benson also)

HalfHawk

Benson was one of the taller players on the roster. He wouldn't be considered a "short big" in today's NBA. The only guy taller is Jason Collins.

Benson was one of the taller players on the roster. He wouldn't be considered a "short big" in today's NBA. The only guy taller is Jason Collins.

That was my argument for not against Benson just to let you know. He was talking about picking someone other than Benson.

So finally we have

Teague/Pargo/Sloan/Kirk Hinrich

JJ/TMac/Green/Stackhouse

Marvin/Radmanovic

Josh Smith/ Ivan Johnson

Horford/Zaza/Collins

Am I the only one who sees too many guards locking a spot on the roster and not bringing anything to the team like Stackhouse or Sloan? There are 8 GUARDS!!!! Has anyone seen anything on Sloan???

We are really thin at the frontcourt, why not keep Benson??? why not send him to the D-League? Come on 6'11" and a blocking machine and you waive him?

I would cut 2 guards to sign 2 bigs, One center and one PF.

For the record Manny Harris has been cut and so Greg Smith. Harris would be better than Green and Greg Smith perhaps could do something for us, I just don't get it.

So finally we have

JJ/TMac/Green/Stackhouse

Marvin/Radmanovic

Josh Smith/ Ivan Johnson

Horford/Zaza/Collins

Am I the only one who sees too many guards locking a spot on the roster and not bringing anything to the team like Stackhouse or Sloan? There are 8 GUARDS!!!! Has anyone seen anything on Sloan???

We are really thin at the frontcourt, why not keep Benson??? why not send him to the D-League? Come on 6'11" and a blocking machine and you waive him?

For the record Manny Harris has been cut and so Greg Smith. Harris would be better than Green and Greg Smith perhaps could do something for us, I just don't get it.

So finally we have

JJ/TMac/Green/Stackhouse

Marvin/Radmanovic

Josh Smith/ Ivan Johnson

Horford/Zaza/Collins

Sloan can actually ball has a good crossover and is a good distributor and finisher. Pargo kind of became irrelevant after we signed Green but I understand the need with Hinrich being out. Pape Sy is quick for his size but it was wiser to keep Pargo who has proven he can handle the position. Stackhouse leadership and motivation is priceless for a team/core with all the talent but lack of guidance. Proud of ownership for not making the glamored line up but the TEAM they thought could compete the best for this shortened line up. Our bench has alot of proven players that have shown they can do it on the big stage. They may not be as spectacular as they once were but they still know how to get the job done.

I knew I went off subject a bit and meant to agree with you on keeping a big man like Benson. As a running/athletic team I can also understand why they think there big men will be able to hold their own.

• Premium Member

I think the results of the 2010-11 season played a whole lot more into the decision to keep T-Mac than what did or didn't happen in two preseason games, and I think that's as it should be. Stackhouse, on the other hand, is a mystery... the ordinarily thrifty ownership paying a vet salary for no discernible reason other than to provide leadership... I mean if you're going to have someone for that role, I guess Stackhouse qualifies nicely. I just question the premise.

I'm glad we kept Ivan. I wish we kept Sy over Stack to play the WING. I'm fine with losing Benson but I wish he was D-leagued. I don't much JP and would have preferred another guard. I wish we had another big.

Sigh.

I don't get why we bought out Sy to give him a one year chance at a position he's never played before. I don't get alot of these moves.

W

I think the results of the 2010-11 season played a whole lot more into the decision to keep T-Mac than what did or didn't happen in two preseason games, and I think that's as it should be. Stackhouse, on the other hand, is a mystery... the ordinarily thrifty ownership paying a vet salary for no discernible reason other than to provide leadership... I mean if you're going to have someone for that role, I guess Stackhouse qualifies nicely. I just question the premise.

Sturt, that's the same exact thing I was saying. If we need that bad as a leader, then why not make him a coach. I would rather kept one of the young guys than sign a veteran that can't contribute physically.

Sund releasing two of his horrible picks and Gladyr is never coming here. Can we get someone else to draft please? Benson was already our second best shot blocker, so he had some potential. Stack will get no minutes and is 100 years old so i'm not sure why we kept him.

Edited by GameTime

Not sure why there's so much debate in this topic. Sy is a waste, and chances are if he stayed on the roster he'd never see the light of day with our current guard depth. He'd just end right back in the D-League.

At the end of the day, these cuts were necessary.

Benson was already our second best shot blocker,.

Wait.... what? Based off of what evidence? A few preseason games in a crunched lockout season? Come on man.

• Like 1

So, Sund seems to have a vendetta against draft picks. I'm on the first thing smokin down to Atlanta the moment I hear he's even pondering trading the 2012 pick for Cuttino Mobley or something. Not even his incompetence could ruin that draft selection *quickly checks list of prospects from the Congo*.......hopefully.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I like what Sund is doing. For those who have played on a legit basketball team, locker room chemistry is a huge freaking deal. With the personality leaders are J-Smoove, Joe Johnson, and Mike Bibby, you are going to be remarkably inconsistent. Any young guys who are projects will defer to leaders.

Even if you have guys that are over-the-hill and don't play much (but had good careers and are established veterans), it can have an exponentially positive effect on the work ethic, mindset, and unselfishness of the others.

Key example: Roddy White before Joe Horn showed up, and after he showed up. Before Julio arrived, Joe Horn has been the most important receiver for the Falcons because of his impact on Roddy. Before, he was a ball-dropping bum that was probably going to be cut or traded. Now he is an all-Pro. Even though Horn didn't do jack for us, he helped instill in one individual a maturity that led to success. Football is a much different sport dependent on so many more players (and other facts) than basketball. I'm of the belief that the effect can be greater in basketball than football.

For our particular team, bringing in established veterans (regardless of playing time) is much more important than dime-a-dozen projects to rot on our bench because our team's maturity will grow as a result. Being a Hawks fan for any period of time, one must admit that we need it badly.

Edited by ryandauwalker
  • Like 2

But I was looking forward to watching Pape Sy and the other 2nd round picks during the last 8 minutes of the games that we're wining/losing by 30 points. damn.

That was one thing that disappointed me last year. I don't recall many blowouts where we won and got to see the second and third string. I do recall some blowouts we lost (more than I'd like to remember) but don't recall seeing those guys.