• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe and Josh

arhawkfan

I haven't posted in a while but I have a theory. Is it possible that Joe and Josh simply play better without Al? I know that its only been 3 games but since the injury Joe is averaging 25/5.6/5.6 and Josh jas been great even before the injury but he seems more focused.

I think deep down they felt guilty about hogging the ball away from an all-star center on the offensive end all the time. Now that there is no guilt...they can fire away without remorse.

• Like 2

I think they realize that they need to step it up without Al, with Zaza or Collins starting they have no plays run for them so more offensive touches for Joe, Josh and Jeff.

• Premium Member

I think deep down they felt guilty about hogging the ball away from an all-star center on the offensive end all the time. Now that there is no guilt...they can fire away without remorse.

And that affects their rebounding, assists, and defensive intensity...how exactly?

Oh, and Al always got plenty of touches. Anyone who thinks he didn't is probably in the shockingly large camp of people that don't realize that there's a good reason that every single team in the NBA runs their offense primarily through their perimeter players, and that it's been that way ever since the age of Wilt.

To late to say, but you know it's hurts us when we see Collins in the starting line up. What if that was Al instead? I understand what you're saying on the offensive side of the ball, which I like what they're doing, but Al contributes 100x more on the defensive side of the ball. We need Al back.

If we could keep them scoring like they are now when Al comes back, we will be even more dangerous. Can't wait to have Kirk back too. hi.gif

Edited by AHawks89

I've been impressed with Joe's ability to score 20 + points albeit shooting a low percentage..I think he could improve his percentage if he takes the Ray Allen/Reggie Miller approach and move without the basketball to put himself in position to get quality jumpshots...Josh has been great considering how he started the first 6 or 7 games..He is a peaks and valley type player sometimes he's great and sometimes he's horrible..I think that he can prevent himself from getting in these ruts by keep a high energy level..He is capable of gettin 15 points consistently by running hard to fill the lanes on the break, hitting the offensive glass with ferocity..and if he makes free throws he could be easily a 20 point scorer..

When you take a major piece of your offense out, others are going to get more touches. More touches should result in more points scored. Joe and Josh have always been very capable scorers, and without Al they're getting more opportunities to do just that. They know that without Al they have to step their games up. Marvin started off pretty well, but he's been pretty dreadful lately on offense. Joe and Josh are going to have to keep scoring for us to keep winning games, here's to hoping that they can keep doing so without hurting the rest of the team.

• Moderators

Not going so far as to say we're better sans Al... we're just different.

Removing Al from the equation softens the complexity of the halfcourt motion offense. It's easier for Joe and Josh (and, perhaps most importantly, Jeffrey) to find each other.

When Al was on, he could hit from multiple locations on the floor, and getting the ball to your post player is much, much simpler when it's a matter of dumping the ball in to Zaza and JaCo on the blocks, then hoping for the best. Unlike Al, neither is going to occasionally bring the ball up the floor or pass from the high post all that much, either (thank the deity of your choice for that).

One downside is it's much easier for opposing defenses to figure out, too, as was evident last night with Blazers like Matthews and Wallace working to disrupt passing lanes. Yet, several of the crucial offensive plays in the game yesterday involved Joe, Josh, and/or Jeff finding each other and making timely passes.

Players also don't have to defer to Al (not that they categorically should) in crashing the glass and getting boards. Against the likes of LaMarcus Aldridge, Craig Smith, Kurt Thomas, et al., Josh and the centers will need help not only from Joe, but Marvin, Vlad, and T-Mac, several of whom had solid defensive rebounding performances yesterday.

~lw3

Al would have probably done better against Aldridge. If he'd have played, I think the game wouldn't have been as close. But on the offensive end, at least so far, were not missing him. We've got plenty of guys who can score and Josh and Joe have really stepped it up.

• Premium Member

While Joe and Josh are definitely playing better let's try to keep things in perspective: Al just recently went down and the team is still feeling the "whoa we all gotta step up" sensation that brings when a star goes down. As someone else in the thread said once a few weeks have went by and our center rotation of Zaza/Collins/Ivan starts to feel the grind we're going to notice a let down.

• Moderators

Props to Joseph (18.9 PPG), righting the ship and now nipping on DWade's heels (19.6 PPG) as the leading scorer among Eastern Conference shooting guards. Among the top 20 NBA scorers, only DRose (87.7%) is converting free throws at a better clip (87.5%) than Joe right now, and only Deron Williams is hitting as many threes per game (2.1 for both).

Whoops! Is that an All-Star ballot? How did that get there? :)

http://www.nba.com/allstar/2012/asb/eng/ballot.html?referrer=asb12_mainGeneral&cid=asb12_mainGeneral

~lw3

I think the way a team plays when a key piece is out is left totally up to chance when talking about a small sample or a series. No one in their right mind would think the Grizzlies would trounce the Spurs without their second option. The last stretch Kobe missed, the Lakers went on a 5 or 6 game streak and Gasol's stock was at an all-time highfor a couple weeks. Miami beating us without either LeBron or Wade after we beat them handily with them? No rhyme or reason at all. There are literally thousands of factors, stats, and situations you could scientifically analyze concerning teams' play with and without said key player(s). The only constant is that the best team on said night always comes out on top.

Edited by benhillboy

Joe had a pep in his step tonite, that lob to Teague got him excited.

Did you see him after that play biting his lip trying not to bust a smile? Happened a few times after that, he was almost giggly.