• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's up with Teague?

Sothron

• Premium Member

It wasn't that long ago people were trying to lynch me in a thread because I said Teague's play so far had been "ok" and people acted as if he was the second coming of Magic and Stockton.

His play for the entire month has been bad on both sides of the court. What has gotten into him? Did Kirk's coming back do something to his confidence? Did Drew start threatening him with Kirk taking his starter spot? What's the deal? Teague had looked decent most of the season going into this month but he has just disappeared on us.

• Premium Member

i guess you visioned this. Ever since you came down on him he's sucked. I hope your next vision is of JJ being amnestied.

He doesn't look very motivated to me. His passing has been predictable and he's not attacking the basket with authority anymore. I hope it's just a mini slump but who knows.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

He is a young player, and it has only been 6 games this month (after looking great in his last 2 games of January). That being said, he is still knocking down 3's at a 45% clip, and hitting his free throws too. His defense has been the biggest fall off, and I think it may have something to do with the poor decisions made on pick and roll defensive plays by Zaza/Smith. Zaza either is too slow getting back to his man, or Smith doesn't charge when Zaza and Teague go for the double team. He isn't necessarily getting beat, just him and the bigs to need to be on the same page.

Hinrich coming back cut into his minutes a little bit, and I feel as though half the time he is trying to do too much to prove he should stay in the game, or disappearing because he doesn't want to make a mistake and be out of the game. That being said, he is a professional, and this is part of the game. He needs to get some confidence, and LD and the other players need to instill that confidence into him.

I have never been one to bash Teague because of his low assist numbers, because face it, look at our team. Josh leads every fast break with the ball for some reason, 50% of our other plays are isolation oriented, and the others lead to long jumpers. Teams have began to overcompensate to ensure he doesn't drive, and he needs to take advantage of that. I for one am not worried about Teague, I think that by the end of the year, we'll be VERY happy with our PG rotation, especially if Teague can keep hitting these threes.

• Like 1

He's sloppy and inconsistent. Early on, he was focused on the two things he excels in: extending ball pressure when asked, especially full-court on average-poor handlers, and driving to the hole. Anything other than that, he'll be up and down. I knew he had issues when he posted the worst stat line of any super-athletic PG I've ever seen against Nash. I could've had a better night. I don't know the numbers, but I'm pretty sure he's one of if not the best shot blocker at PG, and I do love that about him. The more shots he blocks, the more he'll challenge.

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators

He's sloppy and inconsistent. Early on, he was focused on the two things he excels in: extending ball pressure when asked, especially full-court on average-poor handlers, and driving to the hole. Anything other than that, he'll be up and down. I knew he had issues when he posted the worst stat line of any super-athletic PG I've ever seen against Nash. I could've had a better night. I don't know the numbers, but I'm pretty sure he's one of if not the best shot blocker at PG, and I do love that about him. The more shots he blocks, the more he'll challenge.

Maybe you are underrating Nash!

The next game after holding Teague to 6 points in Atlanta in a PHO win, Nash held Brandon Jennings to 3 points in Milwaukee in a PHO win.

• Like 1

• Moderators

beer.gifbeer.gif Now thats a guy that follows basketball..

That just stuck out to me that Teague didn't exploit Nash's defense and then Jennings, who loves to gun, got completely shut down the next game just as badly. Kind of remarkable.

He needs to play with a dominating big who can attract attention at C or PF so Teague can attack without so much attention. It will be hard for him to develop in this system. He's not a PnR PG or a true PG.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

It wasn't that long ago people were trying to lynch me in a thread because I said Teague's play so far had been "ok" and people acted as if he was the second coming of Magic and Stockton.

His play for the entire month has been bad on both sides of the court. What has gotten into him? Did Kirk's coming back do something to his confidence? Did Drew start threatening him with Kirk taking his starter spot? What's the deal? Teague had looked decent most of the season going into this month but he has just disappeared on us.

I like to point out Josh usually comes up with the most amount of non-hustle plays where he just ends up lollygagging around. Jeff is a close second though, if he got more minutes he might challenge Josh for that title. Does Jeff know how to fight through a screen? And has anyone as fast as him ever played as slow on defense? Consider me still underwhelmed by Teague, he is playing like he used to at Wake and I think that is a bad thing from a point guard. He doesn't facilitate an offense at all, he has more ball hog in him than we need, and his floater isn't that great.

All that said, he is neck and neck with Kirk on this team IMO. Kirk hasn't shot well and turns it over too much. These are both worse than his career averages, so expect him to play better. Once Kirk improves those areas then I don't think it is a question Kirk should start based on how the two have played so far. That won't happen though, Teague is just as fragile as Josh and Marv, he will pout like a little girl if he isn't starting.