• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks - Pistons

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Hawks playoffs magic number is 6 (Combo of Hawks wins plus Bucks losses from here on out).

If the Detroit Pistons have any idea what tanking is, they’re not quite clear on the concept. They’ve rattled off 5 wins in their last six games, rolling out of March like a lion against versus lottery contestants Washington (twice), Charlotte, and Cleveland, and snared a home win against the Tragic Kingdom. Their recent 17-13 run also includes wins over Atlanta, Boston (twice), Milwaukee, and the Lakers.

Lawrence Frank attributes the stretch of good fortune to a commitment to improving team defense. They were 28th ranked in points-per-possession defensive rating in January, but improved to 17th by February and moved into 8th by the end of March. Ex-Hawk Mo Evans has probably learned by now how Coach Frank’s Pistons have been getting it done.

http://www.nba.com/p...ns_120401a.html

“We don’t allow a lot of shots in the paint, Frank said. “We try to force a lot of contested twos. And we don’t give up corner threes. Every month, we get better in those areas.”

Corner threes allowed were a sore point for the Pistons the past few seasons. As NBA teams grow more sophisticated in their use of analytics, the value of the corner 3-pointer – the distance at which the 3-point line is closest to the rim – has risen as offenses design plays to produce those shots. Defenses, accordingly, have to counter to prevent open 3-point attempts.

“From a rotation standpoint, on the strong side, you’re not going to leave that corner open,” Frank said. “And on the weak side, you’re going to have rotations on the back side of your defense to cover for that skip pass to the corner three. We have a lot of work, but statistically we’ve moved up toward the best in the league at giving up the fewest amount.

“It’s not just the makes, it’s the attempts. On any given night, a team can make a bunch on you. But over the course of the season, how many are you allowing? That’s more of importance.”

Greg Monroe is the GM you don’t want to bailout, not with uncontested shots at the rim. He takes more at-rim shots than anyone in the league (about 7.4 per game), more than Dwight Howard or Blake Griffin, but his shooting percentage from that close in (60%) isn’t terribly ferocious. Any more than 2 feet away from the hoop, Monroe is shooting only 39%.

Monroe is being pushed by Frank to be a more legitimate presence on the other end of the floor. Under no circumstance should a team featuring Ben Wallace be sitting in last place for blocks per game, but that’s where they stand at 4.0 blocks per game for the second straight season, with no one averaging more than 1.0 swats. Big Ben leads the team averaging 0.8 blocks in just under 16 minutes of action. They’re also last in the league in defensive rebounds per game, reliant on the likes of Jonas Jerebko to help Monroe. Zaza and Josh should be able to feast on the glass as Monroe has little depth behind him to risk foul trouble.

Charlie Villanueva has that not-invited-to-the-office-taco-party look on his face. The former 7th overall pick from 2005 and third-highest-salaried player on Detroit’s roster ($8 million with a player option for $8.5 million) has been pushed out of the rotation as Coach Frank prefers to go with bigs that are a little more likely take sane shots and play some defense. Al Horford’s Olympic qualifier teammate has been back with the Pistons since rehabbing an ankle injury sidelined him until early March. He’s played just over 15 minutes this season, including his last game, a six minute stint in New York on March 24th where he took six shots in six minutes (made one).

Is anyone going to slow down Jason Maxiell this time around? J-Max’s top two scoring efforts (19 points apiece) and his highest rebounding tally (12 boards) this season are against the Hawks. Over the course of his career, Atlanta is the only opponent where he’s averaged double digits (10.5 PPG, second highest being 8.2 PPG versus Golden State). He should have a lot of Marvin and Ivan to deal with when the ball comes to him.

Go Hawks!

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

...Charlie Villanueva has that not-invited-to-the-office-taco-party look on his face. The former 7th overall pick from 2005 and third-highest-salaried player on Detroit’s roster ($8 million with a player option for $8.5 million)...

Go Hawks!

~lw3

Man just give me that $8.5M player option and I'll be a Happy Camper Posted Image .

Detroit Mgmt: "Ah, Mr. Villanueva...are you planning on exercising that player option?"

Charlie: "Does a Bear drop feces in the wooded areas?"

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Premium Member

This is basically Jeff Teagues first full season of actually playing. It should be expected that he'll have ups and downs, but the young man has talent and I think can be really good. One thing that has hampered him is what Diesel mentioned, and that is Josh Smith not letting him do his job as a point guard, albeit a scoring one. If Josh ever learned to respect the point guard and get out of his way ( which I doubt), the Hawks would become that much better as a team.

JJ had a wonderful game tonight. No, not Joe Johnson, Josh & Jeff!Ivan the Terrible! Great game!Lots of Hawks scoring in double figures. Tough game, but we won. Detroit ain't no sloutch. Their record isbad, but they have been winning recently. Three times this year we'vefaced them and all three were oh, so close.GO HAWKS!

I think I jinxed the team... I called Josh the best PF in the NBA since the all star break. He'll probably play like s*** tonight.

Well you did jinx us pretty bad earlier in the year... but you didn't get Josh tonight thankfully as he and Teague were monsters!

I saw some story lines develop tonight. It may hurt the team, we may learn from it. Teague going off tonight. I saw his confidence building.In the fourth, there were a few exchanges where Josh gets the rebound, brings the ball up and REFUSES to throw the ball to Teague... Just blatant. The next time down (after about the second time Josh does this in the 4th)... Teague threads Smoove a pass that leads to an easy dunk. Smoove still didn't acknowledge Teague, but the look on Teague's face was .... If you just let me do my job, I will make things easy. Later, Teague went in with a fake behind the back pass and Josh was the first to come over and pull his shirt (Heart).I think with Teague.. there's a confidence thing he has to master. I would say Van Exel is the right dude for him to work with. Van Exel has so much confidence that it flows off of him like sweat. Teague is starting to develop his PG eye. We hope that he keeps this type of play up... He's the most deadly player we have.. really... in that he can create for himself and create for others.I like the fact that Josh is becoming more consistent.

Actually, there is a bench dynamic right now where Stackhouse, Josh, Teague and Van Exel are always talking. Stack has been coaching Josh on the bench all year. He might be the best move we made and Josh is listening to him. Stack, Van Exel and Josh have all taken turns with Jeff. If you watch on the bench at the end of the 3rd/start of the 4th, they are all sitting together.
  • Like 1

I still would much rather have Dragic or Mayo over Teague. You see Dragic ballin out of control. Stupid a*s ASG didn't want to trade him. Sessions is playing solid ball with LA. He would suck in Atlanta. In LA, they have Kobe, Bynum, and Gasol who gets top tier attention and Kobe can dominate.

• Premium Member

I still would much rather have Dragic or Mayo over Teague. You see Dragic ballin out of control. Stupid a*s ASG didn't want to trade him. Sessions is playing solid ball with LA. He would suck in Atlanta. In LA, they have Kobe, Bynum, and Gasol who gets top tier attention and Kobe can dominate.

How do you know he would suck? How do you know Dragic or Mayo would Ball out of control? It's just B.S. opinion. How do you know Teague won't ball out of control if we continue to put confidence in him?I'm not saying that we are perfect... What I am saying though is that night to night, while Shorthanded, this team is given us a reason to get behind them and All I ever here is how some scrub would ball out of control and it's a shame that we don't have them. Let's appreciate the greenness of our grass and maybe... just maybe, they will do something.
  • Like 1

How do you know he would suck? How do you know Dragic or Mayo would Ball out of control? It's just B.S. opinion. How do you know Teague won't ball out of control if we continue to put confidence in him?I'm not saying that we are perfect... What I am saying though is that night to night, while Shorthanded, this team is given us a reason to get behind them and All I ever here is how some scrub would ball out of control and it's a shame that we don't have them. Let's appreciate the greenness of our grass and maybe... just maybe, they will do something.

They both fit our system. They both are ball dominate guards who tend to be combo guards in talent but are PG's if they want to reach their apex as players. Both players can be stars, in fact now that Dragic is starting, he's putting up some really great numbers. PER/36 since ASB, Mayo been averaging 24.5 ppg, and other great #'s. I been saying these guys are stars, especially Mayo. We need to land him in FA. SnT, I don't give a s**t, go get him. This team is going nowhere fast. Only thing is Smith is due for a new contract and he will get those dollars as he is a top 5 PF in the NBA.Teague really ain't that good. His weaknesses get in the way of his strengths. I think he can be a good PG in the NBA but he won't reach his potential unless he's playing with a demanding big. Not someone like Josh or Al. Edited by nbasuperstar40

I think people forget Teague is only 23 years old. Technically, this is a rookie year. I am not a big fan of PG's and Centers coming out early. See Teague through the lens of a 23 years old rookie and you'll see him differently.

Teague just not that good. Talented yes, good no. He really isn't a PG either unless you plan on having him play with bigs who can command attention in the post.I been extremely busy so I haven't had much time to post.