• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

All NBA Team = Josh Smith

coachx

And this is precisely why you have to take his shot selection into account. With some players, you have to take the bad with the good. Josh's shot selection is bad, but he is clearly above average with everything else. Do you realize just how much he has to be killing it inside to overcome his shot selection and poor free throw shooting? The guy has posted a 21+ PER this season despite of his shot selection.

I also wonder about the "shot selection" comments. Teague is playing well, but Teague is not a pass first point guard. Bibby was not a good creator. I wonder how much Josh's shooting percentage, shot selection would improve with a facilitator on the floor. The same could be said for Al. Ever since they started running lots of pick n rolls from the slot, their offense has looked good.

And it would be well deserved. 3rd team all nba would be a great way for Josh to finish the year. Maybe even 2nd team if the voters value defense over offense, bumping Blake Griffen down to 3rd. Hope the voters take into account a lot of the hard work Josh has put in with AL out.

• Premium Member

I also wonder about the "shot selection" comments. Teague is playing well, but Teague is not a pass first point guard. Bibby was not a good creator. I wonder how much Josh's shooting percentage, shot selection would improve with a facilitator on the floor. The same could be said for Al. Ever since they started running lots of pick n rolls from the slot, their offense has looked good.

Simple. If we have a guy like Steve Nash, he wouldn't pass the ball to Smoove unless he was in a position to finish the assist (and that's not on the perimeter).
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

People still hate on him for whatever reason. He has carried this team while joe has taken the back seat and hit a couple of clutch shots. Joe has also missed a couple of clutch shots...

It's not just the fans, it's other coaches.Do you think coaches don't drool when they think about his potential... But then they change their mind when they think of the lack of BBIQ?How bad has your BBIQ got to be if you chuck up shot after shot from a position where you are least successful?If you like what Josh does, then you had to be a fan of Employee #8 as well.

• Moderators

It's not just the fans, it's other coaches.Do you think coaches don't drool when they think about his potential... But then they change their mind when they think of the lack of BBIQ?How bad has your BBIQ got to be if you chuck up shot after shot from a position where you are least successful?If you like what Josh does, then you had to be a fan of Employee #8 as well.

I was a fan of both of them but think both of them undermined themselves with their shot selections. They can be more. The good news is that the Josh is becoming more and still has shot selection as low hanging fruit.

• Moderators

I don't like PER because of situations like this. Josh's poor shot selection but increased number of shots actually leads to a higher PER. If you hold Josh's number of shot attempts the same and increase his FG% (i.e. saying he only takes good shots while still taking the same number) then yes his PER increases. However, if Josh simply passes up the 16 to 23 foot jumpers (that he attempts 6.2 times a game and makes at .330 http://hoopdata.com/...me=Josh%20Smith) which would lower his PPG to 14.6, then his PER would also be lower. This is because Josh shoots higher than .304 from that range.So yes Josh would have a higher PER if he simply shot better, but if he reduces the number of shots he takes then his PER goes down. Dave Berri pretty much sums up why PER is so f'ed up:http://wagesofwins.c...iciency-rating/

Great article. Thanks for the link.

Ridiculous. Josh is having a great year but all you focus on is him taking some outside shots. Overall, his shooting % is right around your boy Joe's. Its super wrong to speak of Joe's contract but ok to bash Josh's shot selection. I would argue Joe's contract will kill this team long before Josh's outside shots. Joe USED to be our best player. Josh is better now. But dont worry, 2 years from now when Josh and Dwight are on their way to a title with the Nets, Joe will be the best Hawk again! Maybe.

• Premium Member

So you think a SG and PF should have the same shooting percentage? Josh's shot selection is a more than valid criticism and the fact he's never changed it is a huge negative to him. That being said, I love the guy. He just does so much on the court. I just wish the bulb would come on over his head but I don't think it ever will.

They both take outside and inside shots whther you or i like it so the positon is irrelevant in my opinion. I accept that no one is perfect. Josh is gonna take some bad shots. I know people dont likePeR but when you're +20 its not all volume shooting. He's doing a ton of other things that less than 10 guys in this league can do.

They both take outside and inside shots whther you or i like it so the positon is irrelevant in my opinion.

I am sorry but this is just wrong. Perimeter SG's like Joe should be around 45-48% so yeah Joe is shooting just a hair under average at 44.9%. A inside PF should be shooting around 50%, see David Lee as a pretty good comparison. Josh on the other hand is shooting 45%. Anyway the point is that Joe shooting percentage is average because he takes and make outside shots. Josh shooting percentage is below average because he takes and misses outside shots. Making only 37% of his outside shots according to 82games.com

I am sorry but this is just wrong. Perimeter SG's like Joe should be around 45-48% so yeah Joe is shooting just a hair under average at 44.9%. A inside PF should be shooting around 50%, see David Lee as a pretty good comparison. Josh on the other hand is shooting 45%. Anyway the point is that Joe shooting percentage is average because he takes and make outside shots. Josh shooting percentage is below average because he takes and misses outside shots. Making only 37% of his outside shots according to 82games.com

20 shots a game....50% down to 45% is 1 missed shot a game. 2 points. If that gets you better opportunities for other players (like a massive improvement in your shooting and point guards shooting percentage) and an increase in foul shots plus a reduction in turnovers. I'll take 1 less made shot a game.

20 shots a game....50% down to 45% is 1 missed shot a game. 2 points. If that gets you better opportunities for other players (like a massive improvement in your shooting and point guards shooting percentage) and an increase in foul shots plus a reduction in turnovers. I'll take 1 less made shot a game.

The Hawks have lost 6 games this year but 1 possession or less. So yeah sometimes that missed shot can be important.Edit: Also 6 wins would put us in the 3rd seed and within one game of Miami for the division. Edited by 01d0rd3r