• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why are so many down on Marvin Williams

Joker

He is a solid player. Nothing more, nothing less. He can score decently at times. He plays good defense. He can shoot open shots at a high percentage. He's smart. Good rebounder. Hustles on defense. Long. Move very well for a SF.Okay he isn't useful on this team with the way we play. Paid 8 million which matters on a team that's not willing to pay the tax and are close to the LT. He is anti-aggressive. He isn't consistent as a starting SF. But he is decent. Just my take. I still see value for him. Just not as much as we are paying him for our personnel. I think he can get something decent in return. His overall numbers aren't far off from Ray Allen.

People are upset with Marvin because he was picked #2 overall. Everyone knows that getting picked there is not his fault, but the fact remains that with the #2 pick you come with expectations. When people think of Marvin they think of somebody who should have been a 25 and 7 guy, and instead is a solid bench player.

• Like 1

I think he's more than a solid bench guy, I think he's just a solid guy. On this team he is more of a solid bench guy but he's proven at times to be a highly efficient player.I agree with the #2 pick stuff but still, no need to want to trade him for someone like Ramon Sessions who is playing well as a Laker but still he's a legit SF in the NBA. He's worth 8 million dollars more so than Hinrich is worth 8 million dollars.

• Premium Member

I think he's more than a solid bench guy, I think he's just a solid guy. On this team he is more of a solid bench guy but he's proven at times to be a highly efficient player.I agree with the #2 pick stuff but still, no need to want to trade him for someone like Ramon Sessions who is playing well as a Laker but still he's a legit SF in the NBA. He's worth 8 million dollars more so than Hinrich is worth 8 million dollars.

Marvin's game isn't worth 8 million. That contract as well as his selection were MAJOR setbacks for this franchise. That's the truth.

Across his numbers and game, he is worth 8 million. The problem is he isn't worth that for the Hawks.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Premium Member

wHT DOES mARVIN DO FOR THE hAWKs?I won't give you the Marvin sucks line. I will just say that he's not worth the trouble.We kept Marvin over Craw.There's no real way to justify Marvin at all.He's not worth the 8 Million, we just paid him hoping.Hoping what Diesel?We hoped that one day he could be 1/5 the player that CP3 is.

I think Marvin is doing a great job off the bench. He hits open jumpers. He is great at the free throw line. He hustles. Not scared of contact (even though he falls down). Not afraid to challenge at the rim offensively and defensively. I think he is doing a good job. I mean look at it this way, he could be Darko.

Haven't read near as much Marvin bashing for a while. I figure he makes a bit more than half of Josh's money, and his numbers are just about a bit better than half of Josh's. (10 v. 19 pt, 5 v. 10 rebounds. I'm too lazy to do all the actual work of looking this up.)

At this point of the Marvin saga I think I've gotten to the stage of "acceptance"...he is what he is and all that he likely ever will be.

It's not his fault that he is overpaid...any more than it was his fault that he was annoited "Worthy with a Jumper" and taken 2nd in the draft.

I guess the thing that gets on my nerves the most is that there is a good chance that we could lose Ivan next year to a team with more capspace and Marvin doesn't seem to be capable of filling the Ivan role of hard-nosed energy off the bench.

Edited by DJlaysitup

29, 11, and 3 today for Marv

• Premium Member

Not hating here, but we lost the game. How can a fan of the 'team' possibly gloat after that just because 'their guy' had a good game? Kudos to Marv though. Without him, the game wouldn't have been as close as it was. I like the fact that more of our guys are getting their games together in time for the Playoffs because we need everyone ready for the comp we're going to face in the 1st and 2nd Rounds.

He is what is. A bust of a number two pick. He has done enough to stay on the roster and hasn't done enough to even come close to his salary and draft selection. There have been worse number two picks in the league, but fortunately for those teams they aren't currently on the roster. If Marvin was making half of what he does people wouldn't have a problem. The issue is with the front office and any person here would gladly take a salary they didn't deserve. I am not defending Marvin as I hated the pick, but he is only doing the natural human thing here.

• 1 month later...

He is what is. A bust of a number two pick. He has done enough to stay on the roster and hasn't done enough to even come close to his salary and draft selection. There have been worse number two picks in the league, but fortunately for those teams they aren't currently on the roster. If Marvin was making half of what he does people wouldn't have a problem. The issue is with the front office and any person here would gladly take a salary they didn't deserve. I am not defending Marvin as I hated the pick, but he is only doing the natural human thing here.

The thing is Marvin is fairly compensated for what he is right now. That's Atlanta fault if they don't want to run an offense or create easier shots for him. That's their problem. I think Marvin career could have been completely different in a different situation. Atlanta ruined Marvin even if he was never going to be Deron or CP3, he could have been a 18ppg, 6rpg, and 1.5blk and 1stl a game type of player. Edited by Joker

The thing is Marvin is fairly compensated for what he is right now. That's Atlanta fault if they don't want to run an offense or create easier shots for him. That's their problem. I think Marvin career could have been completely different in a different situation. Atlanta ruined Marvin even if he was never going to be Deron or CP3, he could have been a 18ppg, 6rpg, and 1.5blk and 1stl a game type of player.

C'mon son...... Marvins garbage!! No excuses anymore!

C'mon son...... Marvins garbage!! No excuses anymore!

Marvin is not garbage, not even close. Garbage is guys like Collins and Dampier last year.