• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I would rather us lose tonight (and Boston lose as well) then win

capstone21

• Admin

If we win we go in a virtual tie with LA Clippers and Memphis and our draft pick will potentially be 2 picks higherIf we lose and Boston loses then we still clinch home court...don't get me wrong I want Home Court more then the draft pick. I am just saying I would rather us AND Boston lose tonight then get the win. If Boston wins tonight I want us to win as well.

• Premium Member

I would rather win and guarantee HC and go into the playoffs with Momentum.It's definitely a welfare mentality to be playing for the draft now. LAC nor Memphis will take Bigs so what's the big deal.

• Like 1

Jeez it's been so long since I've really been interested in the draft that I didn't even realize that was the rule but thanks for clarifying guys.

That's a good thing! It seems so long ago now that lottery night and draft night used to be the two most important dates for Hawks fans.

• Premium Member

You're not going to find a bigger believer in the power of the draft and most of you already know where I stand on this team. However, we could be looking at some unique ineptitude if we don't get out of the 2nd round this year.Give me HC vs. the Celtics.

That's a good thing! It seems so long ago now that lottery night and draft night used to be the two most important dates for Hawks fans.

I still remember us all sitting in the chat room the night that we traded for Reef and being so excited about it I could barely sleep that night. Thank God we're a LONG way from that!

• Premium Member

I could care less about draft picks but I also don't understand why homecourt is such a big deal. Is it worth the fuss when you consider both teams get ample recovery time between games and some of the Hawks worse losses this year came at home? We have to get pass this old way of thinking. Just look at the NY Giants, GB Packers, and Mavs for how teams do things these days. Now it's all about getting in, getting hot, and managing injuries.Three years ago I'd understand the Hawks falling into this weak-minded approach. Now this is a team of veterans. Vets shouldn't need psychological crutches. What's next? LD promises to buy a new suit if they get out the first round?

Edited by NineOhTheRino

I could care less about draft picks but I also don't understand why homecourt is such a big deal. Is it worth the fuss when you consider both teams get ample recovery time between games and some of the Hawks worse losses this year came at home? We have to get pass this old way of thinking. Just look at the NY Giants, GB Packers, and Mavs for how teams do things these days. Now it's all about getting in, getting hot, and managing injuries.

Football is an entirely different sport where 1 game determine everything and the Mavs had homecourt in 2 out of the 4 series that they played last season whereas the Hawks are lucky to have just 1. In Basketball the stats for homecourt advantage series winners are in favor of the home team because it's not just about rest although that is a big factor considering that you get to sleep in your own home that you have catered to yourself rather than a hotel room that wasn't neccesarily built for people averaging over 6'6" in height. Then there's the emotional component of the fans and they also have the effect of a subtle influence over how refs call games. It's called "home cooking" for more reasons than one.
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I could care less about draft picks but I also don't understand why homecourt is such a big deal. Is it worth the fuss when you consider both teams get ample recovery time between games and some of the Hawks worse losses this year came at home? We have to get pass this old way of thinking. Just look at the NY Giants, GB Packers, and Mavs for how teams do things these days. Now it's all about getting in, getting hot, and managing injuries.Three years ago I'd understand the Hawks falling into this weak-minded approach. Now this is a team of veterans. Vets shouldn't need psychological crutches. What's next? LD promises to buy a new suit if they get out the first round?

First, every home game means substantially more money for our owners which is the basis for further investment in the team.Second, on the court there is a meaningful advantage to home court. Over the last 3 years here are the results for the 4/5 series:2011Atlanta 3-0 at home; Orlando 2-1 at homeOklahoma 3-0 at home; Denver 1-1 at home2010 Boston 3-0 at home; Miami 1-1 at homeUtah 3-0 at home; Denver 2-1 at home2009Atlanta 3-1 at home; Miami 2-1 at homeHouston 3-0 at home; Portland 2-1 at homeCumulative for Winning/Losing Teams: Winning Team at Home: 18-1 - 94.7% winning%Winning Team on Road: 6-10 - 37.5% winning%Losing Team at Home: 10-6 - 62.5% winning%Losing Team on Road: 1-18 - 5.3% winning%Total Home/Away: 28-7 at home - 80% winning% at home7-28 away - 20% winning% awayGranted, historically it isn't always this extreme but those are the most recent numbers and they are statistically significant as far back as you want to look. Home court advantage actually means something on the court.

If we win we go in a virtual tie with LA Clippers and Memphis and our draft pick will potentially be 2 picks higherIf we lose and Boston loses then we still clinch home court...don't get me wrong I want Home Court more then the draft pick. I am just saying I would rather us AND Boston lose tonight then get the win.If Boston wins tonight I want us to win as well.

Per Michael Cunningham, Hawks lose coin flip (of course) to Clippers, and will get the #23 pick.