• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The thought just occured to me Sund can't be brought back....

HawkItus

I was just thinking about Rick Sund. He can't comeback. There is a quote from MC on ajc.com where Rick Sund says we do not have a league MVP on this team. Does anybody see the problem with this quote? Once you get it you will reach the same conclusion I have. Rick Sund has to go.

• Premium Member

I was just thinking about Rick Sund. He can't comeback. There is a quote from MC on ajc.com where Rick Sund says we do not have a league MVP on this team. Does anybody see the problem with this quote? Once you get it you will reach the same conclusion I have. Rick Sund has to go.

I recall him making that statement after the Hawks were swept in historic fashion by Orlando and then turned right around a payed Joe as if he was that caliber player. Is this what you're referring to? Edited by Jody23

I recall him making that statement after the Hawks were swept in historic fashion by Orlando and then turned right around a payed Joe as if he was that caliber player. Is this what you're referring to?

Ding ding ding! But, he made it this last off season as well. That to me is the nail in the coffin. You have mortgaged the future to keep this core together. Yet you don't think we have one transcendent talent on this team? You sir are guilty of stupidity. You can't be the GM anymore. You just can't.

• Premium Member

Ding ding ding! But, he made it this last off season as well. That to me is the nail in the coffin. You have mortgaged the future to keep this core together. Yet you don't think we have one transcendent talent on this team? You sir are guilty of stupidity. You can't be the GM anymore. You just can't.

That wasn't Sund's decision.
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Correct. Plus being league mvp and being 'transcendent talent' are two very different things.

And with the artificially low max salary used in the NBA, there are plenty of players who will never be serious MVP candidates who will get max money just by virtue of the market at play. A guy like Lebron who produces say $30M in value can be capped at $20M in value. Then you have a guy who produces 2/3 the value that is getting paid correctly at $20M but it looks bad because they are both getting the same. I am not making the case that JJ isn't overpaid (he is) but that you can't simply say "JJ is getting paid like Lebron and Dwight why isn't he producing like them?" unless you also recognize that the answer to "Why is JJ paid the same as them" is "because the CBA artificially limits how much Lebron and Dwight can earn" and not "because the Hawks thought JJ was just as good."

Sund is right and Sund will probably be back.

That wasn't Sund's decision.

How can you say that? Sund presented what he thought was best for the team to the Owners. Yeah, they wanted JJ back, but you as GM should be the one to offer a better scenario. And it isn't just JJ. I'm talking about whole roster. He brought guys back who didn't need to be brought back. I'm sorry Sund doesn't get the "Owners made me do it" pass.

• Premium Member

How can you say that? Sund presented what he thought was best for the team to the Owners. Yeah, they wanted JJ back, but you as GM should be the one to offer a better scenario. And it isn't just JJ. I'm talking about whole roster. He brought guys back who didn't need to be brought back. I'm sorry Sund doesn't get the "Owners made me do it" pass.

Sund did what he was told to do by his bosses on the JJ deal. The guys he brought back were all justified at the time. Heck, Marvin averaged 15ppg and 6rpg during his contract year and looked like a solid starting SF. His contract looked very reasonable at the time. Zaza's contract is very reasonable for what we got out of him as a backup and starter until he got injured this season. To me, Bibby was his biggest mistake and even that wasn't crippling. His drafts weren't that bad either when he was actually allowed to keep a pick. Teague and Crawford were high value picks for where they were selected. I even liked the Kieth Benson pick in the second round last season. The addition of the 'vetmins' to fill out the roster was very savvy considering the self imposed salary restrictions Sund had to deal with. This isn't saying much with the incompetence the Hawks have had in the front office for over a decade, but Sund could be considered one of the best GMs this franchise has had for some time.

Sund did what he was told to do by his bosses on the JJ deal. The guys he brought back were all justified at the time. Heck, Marvin averaged 15ppg and 6rpg during his contract year and looked like a solid starting SF. His contract looked very reasonable at the time. Zaza's contract is very reasonable for what we got out of him as a backup and starter until he got injured this season. To me, Bibby was his biggest mistake and even that wasn't crippling. His drafts weren't that bad either when he was actually allowed to keep a pick. Teague and Crawford were high value picks for where they were selected. I even liked the Kieth Benson pick in the second round last season. The addition of the 'vetmins' to fill out the roster was very savvy considering the self imposed salary restrictions Sund had to deal with. This isn't saying much with the incompetence the Hawks have had in the front office for over a decade, but Sund could be considered one of the best GMs this franchise has had for some time.

Good read. As a fan, I never want to hear that the owners made a court decision. I always though Sund was 100% on board with the Joe deal. I would've had to resign if put in that position. Just not a good look on your resume, regardless if you disagreed with the move. I'd want him to be much clearer and straightforward in his role or lack thereof concerning that issue.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't know. Sund has always been an overpayer.Nick Collison and Rashard Lewis still send Sund birthday and Christmas cards.
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

I don't know. Sund has always been an overpayer.Nick Collison and Rashard Lewis still send Sund birthday and Christmas cards.

Okay, now that I can agree with. He REALLY overpaid some pretty average players in the past, but I felt he was spot on with Hawks' contracts not including JJ's of course. Bibby just fell off a cliff as far as his skills were concerned which made his contract a little too long for my tastes. But he at least attempted to fix that by trading him for Kirk. Now, I was skeptical of Sund's drafting ability given his affinity for project centers with Seattle, but he hasn't been half bad for the Hawks IMHO. I've honestly been pleasantly surprised with the Hawks draft picks over the past few seasons.

• Moderators

If it was Otis Smith, how is he still employed?

Sund overpaid multiple people and blew a good number of picks in Seattle but the question of how Smith is employed with his track record is one for the ages. Lewis' current balloon payments are an Orlando problem, not a Seattle one.

• Moderators

Otis Smith's team made to the Nba finals.That is what bought him a few more years of employment.

And his incompetence is likely what will lead to Dwight's departure.