• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I'll admit I'm emotionally attached to Josh...

ATL_BALLER

That exacerbated an existing problem. His jumpers have held him back for years and they were already getting much worse before Al went down. If I thought he would stop taking jumpers next year then it might hold some relevance for me that his bad problem was made a bit worse because Al Horford went down. That is another level of the complicaiton in trading Josh. A really good team will be scared to death to add him destroying their spacing and shot selection and a poor team will be afraid Josh will be "forced" to take more of them because he will be among that team's best players and will have to "step up" by shooting terrible jumpers.

Yall really annoy me by the amount of salt dropped on Josh Smith everyday.. This guy single handedly put on his back the last couple months of the season. And yes, he played three positions (SF,PF,C). Must I bring up his playoff numbers again..?Mpg 39.2Ppg 16.8Rebs 13.6 Asts 4.8Ft% 76Fg% 38 >>>> yeah, I would shoot that if I was playing 40 minutes a night during the playoffs at three different positions!! Name a player that can play that many positions and can still manage a double double average. All I hear is let's trade Josh for Gasol aka gumby.. ask yourself this.. if Gasol is that good why are the Lakers looking to get rid of him in favor of a 'bonehead' Josh Smith?? Season average..Mpg 35Ppg 18.8Rebs 9.6 Blks 1.7Asts 3.9 Fg% 45Seriously guys?! You want to trade this instead of putting a good coach around him..? I'm positive he would accept an extension when offered. The kid loves Atlanta and would like to retire here.. he just doesn't like getting blamed for every loss and every shot he has to put up because the players around him are dirt..
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

I understand Josh's situation has little to do with JJ personally, but the thought of our owners considering JJ a must-have while allowing the only reason many of us fight Atlanta traffic to see this team is sickening.

How can they justify the nickname "The Highlight Factory" if the only highlight is a JJ floater?

"The Floater Factory" does nothing for me.

"The Dribble-Dribble-Dribble Factory" does less.

I say we all come together and start a Save Josh Smith campaign. We can sell shirts and bumper stickers. Any graphic designers here? I'm willing to split all proceeds 87/13.

Edited by NineOhTheRino
  • Like 1

Yall really annoy me by the amount of salt dropped on Josh Smith everyday.. This guy single handedly put on his back the last couple months of the season. And yes, he played three positions (SF,PF,C). Must I bring up his playoff numbers again..?Mpg 39.2Ppg 16.8Rebs 13.6Asts 4.8Ft% 76Fg% 38 >>>> yeah, I would shoot that if I was playing 40 minutes a night during the playoffs at three different positions!! Name a player that can play that many positions and can still manage a double double average.All I hear is let's trade Josh for Gasol aka gumby.. ask yourself this.. if Gasol is that good why are the Lakers looking to get rid of him in favor of a 'bonehead' Josh Smith??Season average..Mpg 35Ppg 18.8Rebs 9.6Blks 1.7Asts 3.9Fg% 45Seriously guys?! You want to trade this instead of putting a good coach around him..? I'm positive he would accept an extension when offered. The kid loves Atlanta and would like to retire here.. he just doesn't like getting blamed for every loss and every shot he has to put up because the players around him are dirt..

Just to clarify, Josh played 20% of our center minutes and less than 1% of our SF minutes while playing 66% of our PF minutes. And I hardly think this thread has demonstrated us "throwing salt" on Josh when the whole point to this thread is us having an emotional attachment to a guy who's been a borderline All-Star and someone we'd all like to grow into the player he can be and do it in his hometown.Regarding the Gasol / Josh stuff... there's actually not been a single real rumor that they're looking to dump Gasol or that they're interested in Smith. And I will add this, if Josh were so valuable don't you think we'd have been able to trade him since he's been rumored to have been on the trade block the past 2 years and we couldn't even get the #2 pick in last years draft for him?You want to talk about annoying? How about the Smith fans who are Smith fans first and foremost, above being Hawks fans. For some reason we're annoying by bringing up the negative about Smith (or any player) in evaluating him. I will never understand fans who put a player above the team.
  • Like 2

I am convinced this Pau Gasol trash has ruin this board. Josh Smith was respected on here till that trash rumor. Pau Gasol was the worse thing to happen to Hawksquawk.

• Premium Member

I'll be honest, I won't miss Josh terribly. I will miss him but it isn't like losing Deke, Smitty, Mookie or especially losing Nique. Heck I was more upset at losing SAR than losing Josh.He will never get his head straight here in Atlanta. He might on another team where they won't indulge his ass in letting him kill a game by taking 15 bad jumpers. But here? He gets to do whatever he wants. No more for me, thanks. Even empty cap space is better than watching us literally hand the ball over almost 15 times a game because Josh settled for lazy long jump shots.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I am convinced this Pau Gasol trash has ruin this board. Josh Smith was respected on here till that trash rumor. Pau Gasol was the worse thing to happen to Hawksquawk.

Josh has done a great deal to create this current climate of dislike. He behaved like a spoiled brat under Woody. I think some fans haven't moved on. Me...I see the growth. I don't see the same guy out there. Sure he takes the occasional bad shot, but he's been a much more controlled player for 3 years now.
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I'd be all for Josh signing a 1 or 2 year extension under one condition though: he has got to realize and accept his role on this team. He is out there to get blocks, rebounds, and make plays. He isn't put out there to take 20 footers, historically the most inefficient shot in basketball. His biggest complaint on why he wants out is because he feels the ASG and the fans place too much blame on him when the team doesn't do well. To me, he has placed that blame on his own back by making boneheaded plays, stepping outside of his role, and trying to do too much...In the last five minutes of a basketball game is when players assume their roles to close out a game. Josh needs to realize that in the closing minutes of a ball game, it's Joe & Horford time. Teague sets up the offense and Josh is out there to shut down the opposition and get blocks. He is not out there to make the big shot. Leave that to Horford and Joe... Let Joe, the $20 million dollar man, take on that blame when the team doesn't do well.If, and that is a huge IF, Josh can assume his role as the teams' defensive juggernaut, then this team will have a chance to FINALLY each the ECF and possible Finals. C - Pachulia or FA signing or draft pickPF - HorfordSF - SmithSG - JohnsonPG - TeagueNot a bad lineup, especially since our best defender is guarding the LeBron's and Carmelo's of the world.

• Moderators

Yall really annoy me by the amount of salt dropped on Josh Smith everyday.. This guy single handedly put on his back the last couple months of the season. And yes, he played three positions (SF,PF,C). Must I bring up his playoff numbers again..?Mpg 39.2Ppg 16.8Rebs 13.6Asts 4.8Ft% 76Fg% 38 >>>> yeah, I would shoot that if I was playing 40 minutes a night during the playoffs at three different positions!! Name a player that can play that many positions and can still manage a double double average.All I hear is let's trade Josh for Gasol aka gumby.. ask yourself this.. if Gasol is that good why are the Lakers looking to get rid of him in favor of a 'bonehead' Josh Smith??Season average..Mpg 35Ppg 18.8Rebs 9.6Blks 1.7Asts 3.9Fg% 45Seriously guys?! You want to trade this instead of putting a good coach around him..? I'm positive he would accept an extension when offered. The kid loves Atlanta and would like to retire here.. he just doesn't like getting blamed for every loss and every shot he has to put up because the players around him are dirt..

You realize that the context in which his shooting was being discussed there was my statement that I was disappointed that he was never going to become the star that I am positive he can be as long as he keep taking those shots, right? My post was that I would hate to see Josh go because he makes absolutely spectacular plays and is a standout for the Hawks and that I would be saddened by the fact that he never reached his full potential with us because I think he is capable of being a true star if he emphasizes his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses.My position is that Josh was our best player last season...and one that could be substantially better in the future if he stops taking the jumpers that opposing defenses desperately want him to take.

Just to clarify, Josh played 20% of our center minutes and less than 1% of our SF minutes while playing 66% of our PF minutes. And I hardly think this thread has demonstrated us "throwing salt" on Josh when the whole point to this thread is us having an emotional attachment to a guy who's been a borderline All-Star and someone we'd all like to grow into the player he can be and do it in his hometown.Regarding the Gasol / Josh stuff... there's actually not been a single real rumor that they're looking to dump Gasol or that they're interested in Smith. And I will add this, if Josh were so valuable don't you think we'd have been able to trade him since he's been rumored to have been on the trade block the past 2 years and we couldn't even get the #2 pick in last years draft for him?You want to talk about annoying? How about the Smith fans who are Smith fans first and foremost, above being Hawks fans. For some reason we're annoying by bringing up the negative about Smith (or any player) in evaluating him. I will never understand fans who put a player above the team.

I don't care how you break it down Dolfan, forty minutes is forty minutes.. Until you can show me the player on our team other than Joe that either deserved or was willing to take the amount of shots Josh took this season, I will not change MY OPINION!!

I understand Josh's situation has little to do with JJ personally, but the thought of our owners considering JJ a must-have while allowing the only reason many of us fight Atlanta traffic to see this team is sickening.

How can they justify the nickname "The Highlight Factory" if the only highlight is a JJ floater?

"The Floater Factory" does nothing for me.

"The Dribble-Dribble-Dribble Factory" does less.

I say we all come together and start a Save Josh Smith campaign. We can sell shirts and bumper stickers. Any graphic designers here? I'm willing to split all proceeds 87/13.

NOTR,

Nice try but that boat sail along time ago and if we did try to keep him that means we have to give up Zaza, Teague, and might have to try to trade Al. Right now, I think Josh needs a change, to a team and a coach that is going to be on him like Woody, that is going to bench him when he wants to think he is Mark Price. I dont think that Drew is doing that, because he is fighting for his job too.

I don't care how you break it down Dolfan, forty minutes is forty minutes.. Until you can show me the player on our team other than Joe that either deserved or was willing to take the amount of shots Josh took this season, I will not change MY OPINION!!

How would any other player have an opportunity when Josh brings the ball up the court or Joe dribbles most of the clock out and then either shoots or passes at the last second? And I don't find much to be proud of if we're just talking about a guy increasing his shot totals as that's not difficult to do. With Horford going down of course his shot attempts were going to rise.

• Moderators

Here are the players who were more efficient scorers than Josh and therefore "deserved" the shots more than he did:Al HorfordWillie GreenIvan JohnsonJoe JohnsonZaza PachuliaJeff TeagueMarvin WilliamsJannero PargoVladimir RadmanovicKirk HinrichTracy McGradyJosh was a better scorer this season than the following players:Jason CollinsJerry StackhouseDonald SloanErick Dampier* * * *The lowest hanging fruit among guys who were capable and more deserving of those shots was Joe Johnson.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmSVT3OcLOcHe will be missed, but he just doesn't fit on this team anymore and he wants out.

This video is so unbelievable and does a great job at showing what all drives us crazy about Josh. He first airballs a long jumper (which is the part of his game we all hate), then he gets the ball back and goes and thunderjams on Ibaka (the part of his game that we love) This is the most fitting video of Josh Smith that there will ever be. I love it. I too will greatly miss him if he is traded. I am a huge J Smoove fan.
  • Like 2

Here are the players who were more efficient scorers than Josh and therefore "deserved" the shots more than he did:Al HorfordWillie GreenIvan JohnsonJoe JohnsonZaza PachuliaJeff TeagueMarvin WilliamsJannero PargoVladimir RadmanovicKirk HinrichTracy McGradyJosh was a better scorer this season than the following players:Jason CollinsJerry StackhouseDonald SloanErick Dampier* * * *The lowest hanging fruit among guys who were capable and more deserving of those shots was Joe Johnson.

First off, Horford was out this season. Secondly, every player on the list you provided was horrible towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. Let's look there numbers during the playoffs, where it counts the most.Tmac shot 38% ----->>> led in turnoversPargo shot 28%Ivan shot 31%Willie shot 46% 25% from 3ptMarvin shot 35% 50% from 3ptVlad shot 0%Joe shot 37% 25% from 3ptThe only people that showed some type of consistency on the offensive end were Kirk, Teague, and Horford.You don't breakup a core that has a potential to be a top #3 seed in the playoffs next year. You get rid of the trash and bring in some help. Joes contract can be reduced to provide flexibility if he agrees to take a pay cut. Which I doubt will be a problem if he knows genuinely they will bring in better help. Edited by willthepureshooter

How would any other player have an opportunity when Josh brings the ball up the court or Joe dribbles most of the clock out and then either shoots or passes at the last second? And I don't find much to be proud of if we're just talking about a guy increasing his shot totals as that's not difficult to do. With Horford going down of course his shot attempts were going to rise.

FIXED!!

I'm a big josh smith fan but I wouldn't be too mad if he was traded for the right pieces. I was a junior at mceachern when he was a freshman there and remember watching him play at the gym during our lunch break. When he made it to the pros was when I actually became a hawks fan and have been one since. When he first moved back to Atlanta after playin hsi remaining high school career in Virginia, I actually went to a couple of house parties he threw at a house he had in mabelton. Now that I've been following the team for a while and consider myself a true die hard fan, I think a josh trade might be good for this team. His decisions on the court are beyond frustrating. If as a fan I get this frustrated I can only imagine how his team mates feel when he takes those 20 fr jumpers time and time again. Though I dont consider Pau to be a better player than Smith, I think hes experience and basketball iq would be a much better fit for the hawks. Though I hate to admit it cause josh is the main reason why I'm a hawks fan today, trading him might be the best thing that can happend to this team. Ps. Please excuse the grammatical errors. I wrote this on my iPhone.

• Moderators

Let's look there numbers during the playoffs, where it counts the most.

OK.Here are the Hawks that scored more efficiently than Josh Smith in the playoffs:Al HorfordErick DampierKirk HinrichJason CollinsJeff TeagueWillie GreenMarvin WilliamsJoe JohnsonTracy McGradyHere are the people who were less efficient than Josh in the post-season:Jannero PargoIvan JohnsonVladimir RadmanovichThe 3 people who scored less efficiently than Josh in the post-season were also the 3 with the fewest minutes played on the team.The fact that some guys who shot terribly were actually more efficient than Josh isn't a reason to heap praise on his offense for him "stepping up" by shooting bad jumpers.
  • Like 1