• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nets and Magic discussing Howard deal per Broussard

Jody23

The rule is that a sign and trade player has to be traded immediately to the other team (48 hours) and can have other (assets) players packaged with him. Since one contract is signed before the other...one player is a free agent while another is an asset. You can't trade free agent rights. At the point of signing the first deal, you have to have your ducks in a row. In the case of Lopez who is the problem here, he is under a qualifying offer. A restricted free agent. He's already been offered a deal that isn't a snt type of deal.

Two things.1) A QO is not a deal, it is a cap hold. All it ensures is that a team has the right of first refusal on their free agent but any deal that they negotiate between the original team and the free agent is separate from the QO. The QO only becomes a deal if the player accepts it as a one year deal.2) The QO can be rescinded at anytime up until the 23rd of which then they'd need permission from Lopez in order to do so.The only murky issue with this is the combination of two free agent contracts and so far I haven't read anything definitive for or against it.

Two things.1) A QO is not a deal, it is a cap hold. All it ensures is that a team has the right of first refusal on their free agent but any deal that they negotiate between the original team and the free agent is separate from the QO. The QO only becomes a deal if the player accepts it as a one year deal.2) The QO can be rescinded at anytime up until the 23rd of which then they'd need permission from Lopez in order to do so.The only murky issue with this is the combination of two free agent contracts and so far I haven't read anything definitive for or against it.

Seems they could very easily make it multiple deals to get around the free agent contracts. I keep going back to what happened last year with the Nene / McGee / Brian Cook deal where as a standard trade it was not legal but they got around it somehow (which I believe Hawksfanatic tried to explain to me but I've forgotten) so if a couple-few teams want to make a deal they can get around the rules to make it happen.

Zaza and Harris for Dwight. Clearly it doesn't work cap wise or value wise but that's an offer I would put out there till Dwight says he will resign.

Edited by Joker

I will also say that Orlando could get a MUCH better deal from us with Horford / filler and BOTH of next years 1st round picks (ours being top 3 protected at best) than they could from Brooklyn with 3 late picks that don't even start until 2 years from now and won't have the 2nd of those picks for 4 years from now. Sure Lopez, Humphries and Brooks are nice players but I'd much rather have Horford over either of the front court players and with their own pick plus the 2 from us they could find replacements for Brooks and the other front court player.

A big part of this is to get teams to ante up with counteroffers to circumvent Dwight's "no sleep til (I get) to Brooklyn" ultimatum but will they bite?

I know it makes me nervous as shite to take the bite as we'd have to give up 3 of our 4 best assets to get Dwight and he could just decide to walk after that. I suppose that we'd be able to SnT Dwight to Brooklyn to get them out from under the contracts of Lopez and Humphries (assuming they both re-sign) plus Brooks but they aren't exactly pieces I'd want to rebuild around.

I just notice we have all the Rockets 2013 picks.

Edited by Joker

• Premium Member

There's no way Ferry would trade for Dwight unless he signed an extension. The bait would be playing with Josh, giving up Horford and still having the cap space so Dwight and Josh can talk CP3 into coming to Atlanta. But there's no way we give up Horford for a one year rental of Howard.

• Premium Member

I know it makes me nervous as shite to take the bite as we'd have to give up 3 of our 4 best assets to get Dwight and he could just decide to walk after that. I suppose that we'd be able to SnT Dwight to Brooklyn to get them out from under the contracts of Lopez and Humphries (assuming they both re-sign) plus Brooks but they aren't exactly pieces I'd want to rebuild around.

I don't believe the Hawks will give up Horf, Josh or Teague without a commitment to re-sign. If the Hawks can't get Dwight to committ, they should just wait till the offseason where they will have more options.

This is probably our offer till we can get Dwight to give us an extension then finally offer Horford.Williams, Zaza, Harris, Petro, 2013 HOU and ATL 1st.

Edited by Joker

There's no way Ferry would trade for Dwight unless he signed an extension. The bait would be playing with Josh, giving up Horford and still having the cap space so Dwight and Josh can talk CP3 into coming to Atlanta. But there's no way we give up Horford for a one year rental of Howard.

That's the thing.... what could we sign Dwight for in an extension and would it be as much as he'd get as a FA?

I don't believe the Hawks will give up Horf, Josh or Teague without a commitment to re-sign. If the Hawks can't get Dwight to committ, they should just wait till the offseason where they will have more options.

No way in hell I'm trading for Dwight just on a commitment to re-sign as I don't trust his word AT ALL after this "blackmail" business he's claiming.

From what I remember, the tricky part about that trade was that some teams viewed it as one single transaction while others viewed it as two (or maybe even 3?) transactions. Its a weird scenario, but when a trade occurs there is no "true trade" where everyone must view it the same. Washington can put in their books that it was one trade between all 3 teams and Denver could write down "hey we traded Nene to Washington for McGee, then traded X to the other team for Y..."Clearly I forgot all the teams and players, but the point is the CBA allows each team to view the trade in their respective best case scenario. Yet again it is another reason why "common sense" just doesn't work with lawyers. Now this got me all flustered and annoyed that the CBA still isn't out yet. Boy, I wish I had some sort of connection to access this (I'm looking at this board for SOmeone To Hook me up with a ReasONable way to get the cba).

Well done sir, well done.

• Premium Member

That my friends is the sound of inevitability.

Howard said he would only resign with one team.

Like it or not.. Brooklyn holds a lot of cards. Hennigan while having brass balls will succoumb to the idea of not losing D-12 for nothing.

Lopez, Brooks, Humphries, and 3 #1s is all over the radio.

They talked to the guy in Dallas who covers the mavs... he said if They get Dwight, Deron is definitely going to sign with NJ and there will be your next Big 3... A big 3 capable of winning it all for the next 3 years. Joe says "later bitches".

• Premium Member

Exactly.

John Hollinger @johnhollinger

Appears dh-turk to NJ deal works if done as two separate deals and six different players accept S&T. Doesn't make it smart, but it works.

mindf***.

Edited by AHF