• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So When Dwight goes to Brooklyn, What becomes of Smoove?

Diesel

I would expect so, or maybe it's all dependent upon him and whether he wants to stay? I really don't know, but wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him traded.If we do trade him, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be best to wait until the deadline to do so.

• Premium Member

If we lose out on Dwight as seems almost certain then Josh needs to go ASAP. II don't think you guys are realizing the big picture. The Heat, Nets and Bulls are going to literally dominate the East for at least the next three to four years. We have zero chance of fielding a better team than they will have. It means we will once again be at BEST a second round purgatory team like we just gave up on.What this means is we need to cash our last two big chips in for draft picks. Trade Josh and Horford for draft picks out the ying yang and hope we get lucky in the lottery. It literally is the only hope we have in the next few years of being able to find young superstar to build around and then once age catches up to those big three teams we can be there with a young team to take over.

I cannot see a lottery team taking the chance on Smith leaving them high and dry plus losing a coveted lottery pick. I want to trade Smith but don't expect a lottery pick. I woulD keep Horford in b-c you need some pieces in place to attract FA's like James Harden, Serge Ibaka, Andrew Bynum, Stephen Curry, Al Jefferson, etc.

Atl would also have 2 1st round picks....and maybe a middle 1st rounder in a Smith trade. With 3 1st round picks that may give us a chance get a lottery pick if their is a guy Ferry values. Horford + Harden + 3 1st Round Picks + more cap room.

Edited by coachx

He should have been traded on draft night. I really think he is worth a lottery pick and some, but seeing how Ferry could not even get Brooks or a sure 1st round pick out of a 6x all-star I am starting to think we would do just as well letting him walk.

He should have been traded on draft night. I really think he is worth a lottery pick and some, but seeing how Ferry could not even get Brooks or a sure 1st round pick out of a 6x all-star I am starting to think we would do just as well letting him walk.

If our strategy is to be players in 2013 free agency, then trading Smith for a potential bust would have made no sense.

Its hard to say Smith should have been traded on draft night without knowing if a lottery team wanted such a risk. Trade value is not just floor production. The contract situation is an equal factor.

Edited by coachx

Its hard to say Smith should have been traded on draft night without knowing if a lottery team wanted such a risk.

I'm certain if Smith was being shopped for a lottery pick, he wouldn't be a Hawk today.

I think Smith will be gone.....which is just how Smith wants it. Now the question is do the Atlanta Ferry's want late 1st round draft picks or veterans ?

I could see him moved to Philly for Iggy in one scenario or Thad Young, Vucecic and a 1st in another. There's a half dozen playoff teams with vet pieces that would be looking to get rid of them just for Smoove's expiring alone but I can only see Charlotte as an iffy lotto team that would give up a pick to get Smoove to clear Tyrus for them. Either of theirs, Portland's or Detroit's. Then of his selected destinations, only Houston remains as a team that could give up some of it's SF/PF glut to take back Josh and feel confident resigning him. I'd take Scola and a combo of Royce White/ Marcus Morris or Terrence Jones/Patrick Patterson, maybe finagle the Dallas pick out of them too. Lastly there's Boston, got nothing that appeals to me personally but he'd want to be with Rondo.

I don't think you guys are realizing the big picture. The Heat, Nets and Bulls are going to literally dominate the East for at least the next three to four years. We have zero chance of fielding a better team than they will have. It means we will once again be at BEST a second round purgatory team like we just gave up on.

Yeah I don't know how I'm going to get excited about a season in which I can't even talk myself into thinking that maybe my favorite team can compete for a spot in the ECF, much less the finals. And when are we going to be able to compete? 2015? 2016?

If we lose out on Dwight as seems almost certain then Josh needs to go ASAP. I I don't think you guys are realizing the big picture. The Heat, Nets and Bulls are going to literally dominate the East for at least the next three to four years. We have zero chance of fielding a better team than they will have. It means we will once again be at BEST a second round purgatory team like we just gave up on. What this means is we need to cash our last two big chips in for draft picks. Trade Josh and Horford for draft picks out the ying yang and hope we get lucky in the lottery. It literally is the only hope we have in the next few years of being able to find young superstar to build around and then once age catches up to those big three teams we can be there with a young team to take over.

Finally, a realist. I agree, best to nuke from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. We gotta go for broke in the lottery, because we ain't signing someone. Trade Hordford and Smoove for maximum value, I.e. NOW. Yes it's gonna be horrible but it'll only last a year or two. Let's not blow it this time on more Marvins, Shelldens, and A.C. Laws.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Finally, a realist. I agree, best to nuke from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. We gotta go for broke in the lottery, because we ain't signing someone. Trade Hordford and Smoove for maximum value, I.e. NOW. Yes it's gonna be horrible but it'll only last a year or two. Let's not blow it this time on more Marvins, Shelldens, and A.C. Laws.

I am in total agreement. The future for our team in the next three to four years is beyond bleak. We have NO CHANCE of beating the top teams in our conference in the playoffs. NONE as in NONE. This talk about building around Horford? Just that, it is talk. I love Al but he's good enough to keep us from getting a real superstar in the draft and keep us in that 7-12 hell every year (go ask Golden State how that feels). That means he has to go. So does Josh. We have to NUKE this team. Not just "rebuild around Big Al". We blow this up NOW while we get max value for those two guys and we go dumpster diving for one year rentals until we get some talent in the lottery that is actually worth spending money to build around.

Yes, I agree it looks bleak for the next few years with the Nets, Heat, and Bulls. I could go either way on blowing the whole thing up or not. Horford and Smith are only 26, and we will have a ton of cap space if we get rid of one of them. We can use it to facilitate trades that acquire assets, trade for players and absorb their contracts, or sign players out right. We just have to use what we have wisely. I don't want to sign mediocre players long term to large deals. The draft is one way to build a team, but teams are built on a combination of draft, trades, and signings. We can't focus solely on the draft. Any way we can acquire talent at a reasonable value, we should do it.

Yes, I agree it looks bleak for the next few years with the Nets, Heat, and Bulls. I could go either way on blowing the whole thing up or not. Horford and Smith are only 26, and we will have a ton of cap space if we get rid of one of them. We can use it to facilitate trades that acquire assets, trade for players and absorb their contracts, or sign players out right. We just have to use what we have wisely. I don't want to sign mediocre players long term to large deals. The draft is one way to build a team, but teams are built on a combination of draft, trades, and signings. We can't focus solely on the draft. Any way we can acquire talent at a reasonable value, we should do it.

There's only one team as long as I've been actively watching basketball that won it all and did it through the draft. That was the Spurs and quite frankly, they got lucky with their picks. You never expect players like Parker and Ginobili when you're drafting where they were drafting. My point is...yea building through the draft sounds good, but the guys winning it all are not built like that. They are taking chances on young talent, putting stars together etc etc.

If we trade Smoove for a pick, it will make that team good and that would make the pick not so great.With Indiana most likely matching Hibberts contract and having Granger, will they have enough to resign George?I'd offer Smoove for George and West.West is also an expiring and George is on his rookie deal and we would have his bird rights. Also with George, we're actually a good and balanced team. With just Horford, George and Jenkins on payroll at about $17mil we have a lot to spend and a squad that people would want to join to compete.Could end up with Teague/Harden/George/Horford/Bynum

If we trade Smoove for a pick, it will make that team good and that would make the pick not so great. With Indiana most likely matching Hibberts contract and having Granger, will they have enough to resign George? I'd offer Smoove for George and West. West is also an expiring and George is on his rookie deal and we would have his bird rights. Also with George, we're actually a good and balanced team. With just Horford, George and Jenkins on payroll at about $17mil we have a lot to spend and a squad that people would want to join to compete. Could end up with Teague/Harden/George/Horford/Bynum

Well you said it yourself, West is expiring and then Granger is expiring when George is up for an extension so that's not a primary motivation to move him.