• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

All-Time Starting 5

The Petit/ Duncan debate in Homecourt prompted this idea. Choose Shaq and Magic if necessary, but try not to put them on the same team at least. Their size advantage over every other player in history at the position simply isn't fair. I'm putting this team up against any...Kidd at the 1. Arguably a step behind Magic, Nash, and Stock as a pure passer, but give me his defense (that many people forget helped LeBron AND Wade choke in the Finals while he was still an old man), his three ball, and rebounding. I just enjoy watching him read the defense and manipulate everything so easily. His length and strength are invaluable. My favorite PG by far currently is Rondo because he clearly studies the way Kidd surveyed the floor in his prime.Kobe Bean at the 2. I know. Simply put, he's a better free throw shooter than the other guy, a better three point shooter, and has had to show way much more in terms of individual defense against much better players and size than the other guy. He had Scottie for that. Kobe's shooting percentage pales in comparison of course as well as being 5 points behind in career point per game droppage and a slightly lesser pure athlete, but I just adore the man's footwork and his length advantage over the other guy, not to mention being more ambidextrous. Take into account his longevity and penchant for rising from the ashes of awful circumstances, and he's my All-Time Fav, even bitching at the refs more than anyone should and probably being a lesser passer and rebounder than he should've been. I think Kobe could score more on Mike than Mike on him.The King at the 3. Love Larry Legend, Havlicek's numbers and rings are gigantic, but come on. Say what you will about the kid, he will easily go down as the most versatile player to bounce a rock.KG at the 4, for reasons stated in the Homecourt Bill Russell post.Hakeem at the 5. Again, like LeBron, arguably the most well-rounded 5 for my money. Could step out and hit a 15 footer just as easily as shuffle to guard PNR. Had a finnesse game outside, but had ample power inside on both ends, had his fair share of leading the league in blocks and rebounds. Consummate team player. Extremely intelligent, smooth passer, embarrassed Shaq in the Finals, made the Finals as a Rook. I never bought the mystique behind Russell and Chamberlain. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they'd be outstanding today, but those ridiculous numbers simply wouldn't exist. I caught the tail end of Kareem's career, sinmaybe I'm not an authority, but when think Kareem I think finesse and maybe a little soft inside due to his physique. That's not what I want. And don't get me started on Shaq. I won't stop. Honorable mention to Mikan and Robinson, a pretty much flawless 5 in his own right during his prime.Build your teams, men.

• Moderators

My 5 would be:PG: Magic (amazing passer, off the charts BBIQ, versatile enough to play center in the finals, very dominant player who can also take his game inside and post-up any other PG with impunity)SG: Jordan (the best non-center in NBA history who could do much more than score [dominant defender and rebounder when needed] and a supreme competitor - it isn't remotely close between him and Kobe for me)SF: Bird (I think the paint will be busy enough on my team and his superior perimeter shooting, rebounding and passing is more valuable than James' athleticism and driving ability but he would be my other choice)PF: Duncan (unlike KG, he can dominate in both the high and low posts on both ends of the floor; much more of an impact defender than Pettit or Malone)C: Russell (off the charts BBIQ, most dominant post defender in history, biggest winner in basketball history [at every level]; non-stop competitor - Shaq's ego, lesser commitment to team, lesser commitment to working, and risk of being an offensive foul machine depending on the era make me pass on him and Wilt's combination of athleticism and length is clearly superior to any other center but I think my team values the BBIQ, basketball focus and defense more than Wilt's transcendent scoring)The idea behind this team is suffocating interior defense; supreme BBIQ; dominating rebounding (Jordan is the worst rebounder of the bunch at 6.2 rpg); superior passing; and versatile scoring. All of these guys live for basketball and would do anything to see their team win (with the possible exception of Jordan who I don't know if he could take not being the #1 option, but I am OK with only one of these guys on the team if that is the case given his supreme offensive efficiency and productivity).

My top five all-time teams . ..1st Team:PG - MagicSG - JordanSF - BirdPF - DuncanC- Jabbar2nd Team:PG - Oscar RobertsonSG - KobeSF- LebronPF - Karl MaloneC - Russell3rd Team:PG - KiddSG - Jerry WestSF - Dr. JPF - PetitC - Hakeem4th Team:PG - StocktonSG - WadeSF - Elgin BaylorPF - McHaleC - Wilt5th Team:PG - NashSG - Reggie MillerSF - HavilcekPF - GarnettC - Shaq

I've never seen the Big O play, but his numbers bust off the page and pictures of him in his prime show musculature on every inch if his body. I think it's still debatable as to what he is between 1 or 2, so I forgot. Since I didn't see him, my second team...IsaiahMikeBirdTimmyAdmiralDependent on my frontcourt leadership to keep the backcourt from killing each other.

My 5 would be: PG: Magic (amazing passer, off the charts BBIQ, versatile enough to play center in the finals, very dominant player who can also take his game inside and post-up any other PG with impunity) SG: Jordan (the best non-center in NBA history who could do much more than score [dominant defender and rebounder when needed] and a supreme competitor - it isn't remotely close between him and Kobe for me) SF: Bird (I think the paint will be busy enough on my team and his superior perimeter shooting, rebounding and passing is more valuable than James' athleticism and driving ability but he would be my other choice) PF: Duncan (unlike KG, he can dominate in both the high and low posts on both ends of the floor; much more of an impact defender than Pettit or Malone) C: Russell (off the charts BBIQ, most dominant post defender in history, biggest winner in basketball history [at every level]; non-stop competitor - Shaq's ego, lesser commitment to team, lesser commitment to working, and risk of being an offensive foul machine depending on the era make me pass on him and Wilt's combination of athleticism and length is clearly superior to any other center but I think my team values the BBIQ, basketball focus and defense more than Wilt's transcendent scoring) The idea behind this team is suffocating interior defense; supreme BBIQ; dominating rebounding (Jordan is the worst rebounder of the bunch at 6.2 rpg); superior passing; and versatile scoring. All of these guys live for basketball and would do anything to see their team win (with the possible exception of Jordan who I don't know if he could take not being the #1 option, but I am OK with only one of these guys on the team if that is the case given his supreme offensive efficiency and productivity).

Agree but put Russell at pf and Kareem at center. Love the sky hook

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Walter

Hakeem at the 5.

Let me just say before I wade in to build a team, Hakeem was my favorite NBA player to watch. How boring is that? I don't know why I liked to watch that big man ball better than Jordan or the like but it was like chess-ballet. W

• Admin

Let me just say before I wade in to build a team, Hakeem was my favorite NBA player to watch. How boring is that? I don't know why I liked to watch that big man ball better than Jordan or the like but it was like chess-ballet. W

He was an amazing player....excellent defender and give him the ball in teh post and watch magic. Players like him do not come around anymore.

PG - MookieG - JJF - NiquePF - HorfordC - DikembeI'd have my superstar ( Nique ) . . with 2 elite defensive players at PG ( Mookie ) an at C ( Dikembe ) . . with JJ playing an all around Scottie Pippen-esque role . . and Horford being a highly versatile big man.If I could also have Josh Smith as my 6th man ( the role he'd be perfect for on a high caliber team ), I'd roll with that squad.As long as Mookie didn't get 3 pointer happy and start to shoot us out of the game, that team could hang with anybody.

• Admin

PG - Mookie G - JJ F - Nique PF - Horford C - Dikembe I'd have my superstar ( Nique ) . . with 2 elite defensive players at PG ( Mookie ) an at C ( Dikembe ) . . with JJ playing an all around Scottie Pippen-esque role . . and Horford being a highly versatile big man. If I could also have Josh Smith as my 6th man ( the role he'd be perfect for on a high caliber team ), I'd roll with that squad. As long as Mookie didn't get 3 pointer happy and start to shoot us out of the game, that team could hang with anybody.

I believe it was all time NBA starting five ... however that would be my all time Hawks 5 too (with Smitty playing 6th man).

• Premium Member

I've always believed it to be an exercise in futility to compare players across eras. Our understanding of everything from childhood nutrition to training regimens to shoe technology has improved enormously since the 1930s (or the 1980s, for that matter). If Bill Russell had grown up in the same era as Shaq, he might have ended up being 7'0 instead of 6'9. If Michael Jordan had to play in an era where shoes provided virtually no ankle support, the resultant dulling of his explosiveness and ability to change direction might have forced him to rely more on his jump shot, and he probably would not have dominated the game as he does today. Conversely, Shaq might have ended up being a 6'8 lump of fat if he'd grown up in 1950s Newark instead of the 1980s version, and John Havlicek might have entered the conversation for GOAT if the 3-point line had been around back in his day. And I don't think anyone wants to imagine what Oscar could have done if modern shoes and training techniques were available to him. Transplanting players to different eras might have had a drastically negative, remarkably positive, or totally neutral effect on their career trajectories. The point is...no one can say. I don't see how anyone can even begin to discuss it intelligently.

And that's to say nothing of rule changes (hand-checking, three point line, illegal defense, etc) that have had a major impact on the way the game is played. In other words, both the game and the player have changed drastically over the years.

I think you can make "all-decade" teams. But all-time teams...I just don't feel like it's possible to do objectively. I'd rather save my mental masturbation for things that are a bit more apples-to-apples.

Edited by niremetal