Gasol for Smith rumors heating up again?

TheNorthCydeRises

http://www.rantsports.com/courtcrusades/2012/08/14/nba-rumors-los-angeles-lakers-looking-to-trade-for-josh-smith/mmmm hmmmmNow . . . if Ferry makes THIS DEAL, we'll see how many of your are still on the Ferry bandwagon.God forbid that this goes down ( no matter how good it may be for the team ), because people would have an absolute fit around here.

Come on man......really?!?!? That site is like the national enquirer. I know exactly how this happened. If you go to MC's most recent blog the next story on filter is about Josh and Gasol from way back when. Lazy article writing and posting here.

If not for Gasol, we do need to trade smoove before the season starts bc we do NOT need to pay him 10M+ to re-sign here next summer and losing him for nothing sucks as well

Keeping him for around 13 or 14 mil would be ideal. Maybe even 15 mil depending on how he plays this year.

Do you think he will accept less than a max deal? I don't think he will, and to me he just isn't worth a max deal.

I don't know whether hell accept less than the max. I think he definitely expects a raise, but whether or not he gets the max.depends on who is going.to be in free.agency ? Will Dallas give him a max contract ? The reason Joe got max money is because there were teams with enough space to put pressure on Atlanta.

• Premium Member

Keeping him for around 13 or 14 mil would be ideal. Maybe even 15 mil depending on how he plays this year.

That is a lot. I don't think he's worth that much because his game is based on Athleticism and that is fleeting.

• Moderators

Do you think he will accept less than a max deal? I don't think he will, and to me he just isn't worth a max deal.

After the whole JJ2 fiasco, I don't want to see any player get a max deal unless it is Dwight. I believe Josh will accept less money if it means he gets to play with his long time friend. If Smoove plays well this season, he is worth between 14-16 mil/yr, but w/o Dwight, it'll take at least 16 to keep him here. He definitely isn't worth much more than 15 mil/year though especially when you already have Horford locked up long term...

That trade would not make any sense now with JJ gone (I was on baord for that trade when we had JJ). The Hawks are now a young team with an eye to the future, adding Gasol and his deal would have us back in a similar situation we were in with Joe.

Why would the lakers do this. Gasol is valuable for them since he can actually spread the floor, which Josh can't. Furthemore, Gasol is taller and can grab more rebounds as well as defend post players better than Josh. Unless the Lakers wanna trade Pau Gasol for lamar odom 2.0, this trade won't go down.

I thought I read somewhere that the Hawks turned down the Lakers offer because the Lakers wanted more in return than just Josh Smith. I guess I am crazy because I thought due to the ages of Gasol and Smith that it would be the Hawks that would want more in return.