• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What would it take for you to play JS @ the 3?

Guest Walter

Guest Walter

What center or Pf would it take for you to play JS more and/or start JS at the 3?IMO Spencer Hawes would be enough to play JS at the 3 and Horford at the 4. What reasonable C and/or Pfs (meaning not requiring us trading Horford or JS) would it take for you to want to see JS at the 3?note: this is a a test of where along the 3-4 spectrum you see JS.W

• Moderators

Zaza. Honestly, I believe Smoove would great at the 3 spot. He would benefit having smaller SF's to post up/defend. A lot of members don't want to see Smoove at the 3 due to him already chucking up 20 foot bricks being at the 4. I say he is going to play his game whether he is at 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. Smoove will be Smoove. If we are looking to move Horford to 4, then Smoove to 3 is the only way it works besides trading him. Zaza has proven that he can start in this league and believe he has earned the gig.5 - Zaza4 - Horford3 - Smith2 - Morrow1 - Teague

• Premium Member

It would literally take the death of every small forward and shooting guard that could be play small forward in the entire world for me to even consider putting him at small forward. In fact that would not even do it. There is no circumstance outside Jesus personally appearing and promising me that the Hawks will win every Finals for the next ten years if Smoove is put at small forward for me to agree to that decision.None of the above is hyperbole. Josh Smith can't shoot, at all, beyond fifteen feet nor can he defend any wing player we'd face. Putting him at small forward would be the same for me as the Hawks bringing back Tree Rollins and asking him to play point guard.

• Like 4

Guest Walter

Zaza. Honestly, I believe Smoove would great at the 3 spot. He would benefit having smaller SF's to post up/defend. A lot of members don't want to see Smoove at the 3 due to him already chucking up 20 foot bricks being at the 4. I say he is going to play his game whether he is at 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. Smoove will be Smoove. If we are looking to move Horford to 4, then Smoove to 3 is the only way it works besides trading him. Zaza has proven that he can start in this league and believe he has earned the gig. 5 - Zaza 4 - Horford 3 - Smith 2 - Morrow 1 - Teague

I think that EITHER JS (3) or Horford (4 or 5) ideally requires a center or Pf that can step out some. We're not getting a dominate post player without trading JS or Horford, but a quality one with the ability to step out would qualify (mind you a post player (Jefferson) might also work but I don't think that skill comes as cheaply). Hawes is good here. So is illyasova. The FUZZ mentioned Channing Frye. I would have done it for Kaman. I love ZaZa. He may be good enough to justify it. ALONE he just doesn't step out enough or is otherwise good enough to justify JS at the 3 longer term.

Guest Walter

It would literally take the death of every small forward and shooting guard that could be play small forward in the entire world for me to even consider putting him at small forward. In fact that would not even do it. There is no circumstance outside Jesus personally appearing and promising me that the Hawks will win every Finals for the next ten years if Smoove is put at small forward for me to agree to that decision. None of the above is hyperbole. Josh Smith can't shoot, at all, beyond fifteen feet nor can he defend any wing player we'd face. Putting him at small forward would be the same for me as the Hawks bringing back Tree Rollins and asking him to play point guard.

Yawn. With say Hawes whose shot diagrams display enough outside to compliment JS still posting up (much smaller 3s), I think JS at the 3 would work in spades. http://vorped.com/bball/index.php/player/shotchart/1062-Spencer-Hawes He could play the high post setting up more cuts for JS by drawing up the opposing center. He could step out allowing for more post-ups for JS. JS is going to shoot 3s whether he's at the 3 or 4 unless a coach shuts it down. The position doesn't change that. Perhaps he does that because otherwise at the 4 he's posting up people 2" taller, a legit (not baby fat) 30 lbs heavier, who've been playing the post all their lives. ... If you don't like JS at the 3 that's OK. Still, there may not be a better means to step up this team by also moving Horford to the 4 or giving us more size at the 4, than by finding the right 4 or 5 to justify JS at the 3. W
  • Like 1

• Admin

His game is not suited for the three...he can't guard them, it encourages him to jack more shots and we lose the important thing that he brings....help defense.If we have to move smith to the three the better option is to trade him for a quality 3 like Rudy gay or Danny granger

Edited by capstone21
  • Like 1

His game is not suited for the three...he can't guard them, it encourages him to jack more shots and we lose the important thing that he brings....help defense. If we have to move smith to the three the better option is to trade him for a quality 3 like Rudy gay or Danny granger

Granger would be nice.

It would literally take the death of every small forward and shooting guard that could be play small forward in the entire world for me to even consider putting him at small forward. In fact that would not even do it. There is no circumstance outside Jesus personally appearing and promising me that the Hawks will win every Finals for the next ten years if Smoove is put at small forward for me to agree to that decision. None of the above is hyperbole. Josh Smith can't shoot, at all, beyond fifteen feet nor can he defend any wing player we'd face. Putting him at small forward would be the same for me as the Hawks bringing back Tree Rollins and asking him to play point guard.

Hilarious.

Well no matter what anyone thinks positively or negatively, Josh Smith started his career as a small forward and has played significant minutes at the 3 spot for 8 years, and that is a fact. He had to gain weight to move to the 4 spot when Marvin came. I think he turned himself into such a good power forward that many can't see him back at the spot he was drafted for. I personally think Josh can play 3,4, and sometimes 5 in certain situations. And that a credit to his versatility.

• Like 1

He had to gain weight to move to the 4 spot when Marvin came.

Debatable considering that Marvin came in as a taller, longer, heavier forward and just better suited to be developed as a 4. Josh's subsequent move to the 4 and Marv the 3 seem more logically governed by the fact that their skillsets (or lack thereof) better suited them to their current positions.

• Admin

Well no matter what anyone thinks positively or negatively, Josh Smith started his career as a small forward and has played significant minutes at the 3 spot for 8 years, and that is a fact. He had to gain weight to move to the 4 spot when Marvin came. I think he turned himself into such a good power forward that many can't see him back at the spot he was drafted for. I personally think Josh can play 3,4, and sometimes 5 in certain situations. And that a credit to his versatility.

He really has not played significant minutes at SF for 8 years

He really has not played significant minutes at SF for 8 years

Not true according to 82games.com I think the real question people need to ask is are we better with which starting 3/4/5 Smith Horford Zaza vs Korver Smith Horford Is Smith a better all around player at the 3 than Korver? Other than outside shooting, this is no contest. Smith is a superior defender, passer and gulp, ball handler. Is Horford a better all around 4 than Smith? Tougher question but I would have to say "yes". Josh struggles in post defense against skilled 4's. As good as Josh is, he does have weaknesses and we are better man to man with Horford at the 4 over the 5 where Al has the same issue. It is a matter of size. Is Zaza a better all around 5 than Al? This is a definite No with a caveat. Against teams weak at center, Zaza is actually dominant and is possibly more effective than Al in that he can dominate the glass and allow Smith and Teague to free lance defensively. But against a center with skills and/or shotblocking ability, Zaza is quick to get into foul trouble and his size advantage on offense is negated quickly. The real answer here is I think against about 30-35% of the teams in the league, Smith/Horford/Zaza is a far superior frontline causing massive matchup issues or negating another team's strengths. But on most nights we are better to put the extra shooter on the floor to spread things out for Smith and Horford down low. The key will be getting them into 1 on 1 post ups with kick outs and into pick n roll situations offensively. This is probably the least discussed benefit to our using Pick n Roll over JJ's iso's. Pick n Roll gets Smith closer to the basket and off the perimeter and gets both Smith and Horford in offensive rebound position for easy put backs. Smith at the 3 changes that some and is a scheme drawback.
  • Like 1

Guest Walter

I would also add that Hawes would compliment Horford as per shooting chart Hawes likes L block/side and Al right>http://vorped.com/bball/index.php/player/page/1085-Al-Horfordhttp://vorped.com/bball/index.php/player/page/1085-Al-HorfordBoth Horford and Hawes like high post allowing JS to cut to post the other side?http://vorped.com/bball/index.php/player/page/1084-Josh-SmithW

That's funny
  • Like 1

• Moderators

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVwCYJj4THQ Edited by AHF
  • Like 1