• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My new nickname for Josh

capstone21

• Moderators

I wish i had seen the game. Josh managed to take 22 shots in 27 minutes. That is seriously high but what a friggin anomaly. You play 27 minutes miss 13 shots and have a +18, the highest in the game. A +18 in a game that ended up very close at the end is high. Horford with a +17 so if you just look at the box score it appears we dominated when these two were playing despite the fact that Josh can't shoot.

I think it was that Al Horford thread that made you feel like doing this. But anyways, you should be giving him props instead of taking another jab at him. He's out there playing sick with the stomach flue and put up 19 11 3. More like Kudo's to Smoove.

Since you seem so preoccupied with Smith's health, wellbeing and the fact that he maned up to play Bball less than 100%, just let him know next time he might not be up to it, all he has to do is call me. i'll drag my old butt out there and play my old, even sick butt off, for a fraction of his salary. Is the Whaaa time really necessary, or the idoltry; the way they're paid, they should be abused for playing well.

His jump shot is still terrible and are bricks...if he would stay near the basket he would avg around 20 and his FG% would be above .500. He shot something like 4 - 14 after his initial start to the game.

the problem with Josh is that he wouldn't avg 20 ppg as the primary option near the basket. He is no where skilled enough. People think Josh can be a 20 10 player, but that's not the case.

J-Smash is the name I always liked ( coined by a blogger on the AJC ). But he can't be "Smash" until he starts to relentlessly attack the rim. I refuse to call him "Smoove". I just refer to him by the name his mama gave him.I still hold out that he'll play like the guy below in the video. But the difference between the two is that at :18 in the video, Josh would set his feet and shoot a 3, while the other guy would do what you're about to see.

What if Horford was the one traded and Smoove was here long term? Haha! I could only imagine what this board would do. LOL!Everyone knows Josh shouldn't be shooting jumpers, but I don't understand why people keep posting about it as if we don't know this already. What's the reasoning for people to keep posting over and over about it? Not sure what the point is, but I find it funny that he was player of the game, and did everything exceptionally well except shot selection towards the end of the game. Like someone pointed out, when Josh was on the floor is, the team kept scoring, playing good defense, and didn't let Portland back in to the game. Josh shot selection rarely hurts us because he does so much other things on the court. Let's keep pointing out the one negative, and ignoring all the positives. Seems like most people who tend do that, are the ones who have anger built up. This never gets old. Very entertaining to read.

Edited by AHawks89

• Moderators

Josh shot selection rarely hurts us because he does so much other things on the court. Let's keep pointing out the one negative, and ignoring all the positives. Seems like most people who tend do that, are the ones who have anger built up. This never gets old. Very entertaining to read.

Josh's shot selection nearly always hurts us. It doesn't mean we should ignore his improved rebounding, his defense, his passing or the other good things he brings to the floor but don't confuse the fact that his net performance is usually positive to mean that his shot selection is anything but a big detriment to our team.

Josh's shot selection nearly always hurts us. It doesn't mean we should ignore his improved rebounding, his defense, his passing or the other good things he brings to the floor but don't confuse the fact that his net performance is usually positive to mean that his shot selection is anything but a big detriment to our team.

Like I was saying, so we shouldn't ignore his shot selection, but ignore all the other things he does well? Heh. Last night was a perfect example. Smoove was a beast in the first half and was almost perfect in FG%. Second half comes, and he shoots jump shots, but after his jump shots were not falling, he was the key player in the game. Instead of shoothing, he was finding guys and making awesome passes. Oh yeah, and we won the game, b ut yet, we have fans making thread to take jabs at Smoove. Makes no sense to me. Don't you think it's a bit more than people concerned with his jump shot? I think its passed that. Edited by AHawks89

His jump shot is still terrible and are bricks...if he would stay near the basket he would avg around 20 and his FG% would be above .500. He shot something like 4 - 14 after his initial start to the game.

You are entitled to your opinion based on whatever stats you have . . . But that has nothing to do with what actually happened when he returned halfway through the 4th quarter last night. For someone to say he was "atrocious" in the 4th quarter is someone speaking who is either willingly lying, unknowingly blinded by hate or just didn't watch the game.

Everyone knows Josh shouldn't be shooting jumpers, but I don't understand why people keep posting about it as if we don't know this already. What's the reasoning for people to keep posting over and over about it?

How can you watch Josh play every game and not complain about it? His shot selection is the near equivalent of him punting the ball into the upper deck several times a game. Something so dumb cannot be ignored.

• Premium Member

Josh shot selection rarely hurts us because he does so much other things on the court.

What reality did you come from where this is even remotely true? Smooverica? Are you serious typing something that silly and expecting it not to get called out on?

• Moderators

Like I was saying, so we shouldn't ignore his shot selection, but ignore all the other things he does well? Heh. Last night was a perfect example. Smoove was a beast in the first half and was almost perfect in FG%. Second half comes, and he shoots jump shots, but after his jump shots were not falling, he was the key player in the game. Instead of shoothing, he was finding guys and making awesome passes. Oh yeah, and we won the game, b ut yet, we have fans making thread to take jabs at Smoove. Makes no sense to me. Don't you think it's a bit more than people concerned with his jump shot? I think its passed that.

I think I was pretty explicit about saying we shouldn't ignore the good things he does. As long as the very obvious shot selection problems continue, though, they will continue to be mentioned. It is obvious that it hurts the team and holds him back from his potential. People who don't like Josh have an obvious wart to harp on. People who love Josh see an obvious problem that, if corrected, would boost him up another level. Fans of the team see a bad tendency that can be easily corrected and would lead to more wins. All legit lines of discussion. Does that mean the good passing, defense, rebounds, etc. are meaningless? Of course not. Josh got the most votes for team MVP last year on the Squawk precisely because of those things....or put another way he got the most votes in spite of the shot selection wart.

You are entitled to your opinion based on whatever stats you have . . . But that has nothing to do with what actually happened when he returned halfway through the 4th quarter last night. For someone to say he was "atrocious" in the 4th quarter is someone speaking who is either willingly lying, unknowingly blinded by hate or just didn't watch the game.

Atrocious is not the right word, but neither is good nor great or anything near it. Just look at the shot chart from last night's game. It is not opinion, it is fact.. 1-9 from 19+ feet out. Statistically, he is one of the worst shooters in the league from this range. His previous coach made him stop shooting from that range. Analysts and fans everywhere beg for him to stop taking those shots. Fans can be heard groaning when he takes those shots during games. For all of the things that he does extremely well, it can't be denied that he is an awful outside shooter. There is literally no evidence that points to the contrary. So given all that, how can we be expected to not be atleast somewhat bothered by the fact that he continues to do the same thing over and over and over that he is consistently so terrible at? It is incredibly frustrating to watch as a fan of this team. Sure we won the game and he made some good plays down the stretch too, but that doesn't mean is not frustrating as hell to watch. I don't think haters is even the right word for people who feel this way because I think we would genuinely all love to see him succeed as a hawk and play to his strengths more often. It's not some blind hatred, its frustration.

Atrocious is not the right word, but neither is good nor great or anything near it. Just look at the shot chart from last night's game. It is not opinion, it is fact.. 1-9 from 19+ feet out. Statistically, he is one of the worst shooters in the league from this range. His previous coach made him stop shooting from that range. Analysts and fans everywhere beg for him to stop taking those shots. Fans can be heard groaning when he takes those shots during games. For all of the things that he does extremely well, it can't be denied that he is an awful outside shooter. There is literally no evidence that points to the contrary. So given all that, how can we be expected to not be atleast somewhat bothered by the fact that he continues to do the same thing over and over and over that he is consistently so terrible at? It is incredibly frustrating to watch as a fan of this team. Sure we won the game and he made some good plays down the stretch too, but that doesn't mean is not frustrating as hell to watch. I don't think haters is even the right word for people who feel this way because I think we would genuinely all love to see him succeed as a hawk and play to his strengths more often. It's not some blind hatred, its frustration.

All that is nice, and maybe even has some validity, but it has nothing to do with what I was commenting on (which was a response to someone's bogus claim that he had an "atrocious" 4th quarter). It's just a terrible opinion that nobody objectively watching would come up with; and an opinion that wouldn't come up in the mind of someone who "would genuinely love to see him succeed" . . . Edited by YP2K

But anyways, you should be giving him props instead of taking another jab at him. He's out there playing sick with the stomach flue and put up 19 11 3. More like Kudo's to Smoove.

Amen.

Marvin could score 20 points if he was allowed to shoot that much. Hell he'd probably get more considering he at least has some kind of mid range game.

Oh no you didn't. Oh no you didn't! MW couldn't score a saw buck if the team's two best players were out, he played 40+ mins, and his mama begged him to do so. THAT was the problem with MW, you couldn't force him into that role. It may never be seen whether JS can fit into his role as a do it all third option. He's currently being forced into the wrong direction (and perhaps rightly so to see what his "worth" is), but let's be clear here. MW was given a starting job and begged to become the talent you wish he was and he increasingly shrank from it.

• Premium Member

Sure. He had some good assists to Horford, which is what he needs to do in the 4th, since he can't make a basket to save the Hawks' lives with those HORRIBLE jump shots. Prior to those assists he was just turrible in the 4th., Bad shots and turnovers galore, I wonder how can ANYONE think this doesn't qualify as 'atrocious'. Portland was pushing for the lead and Josh kept shooting us out of the game. Other than that, I have already stated, he was OK.