• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks trying for Stan Van Gundy!

Brotha2ThaNite

• Premium Member

Fixed

Nope. It was evident that SVG did nothing to counter what LD did to his team. That sir is being outcoached. Dare we blame BK for drafting Marvin instead of Paul as a reason that they beat us by 25 the year before?

Nope. It was evident that SVG did nothing to counter what LD did to his team. That sir is being outcoached. Dare we blame BK for drafting Marvin instead of Paul as a reason that they beat us by 25 the year before?

We could blame BK if he took a damn good team that LD / Woody coached and then all of a sudden shook up the core and brought in me first turds and said hey go win with this. Because that's exactly what Otis did in Orlando. I know you can't possibly be so blind to have not seen that. When Otis took Vince Carter and Rashard Lewis, 2 solid veteran scorers, and replaced them with a gimpy me first Arenas, a past his prime and no longer capable of playing point forward Turk and a decent JRich there was no way that SVG or anyone was going to be able to win with that roster. Oh yeah and he took their most important bench player Gortat and didn't replace him with anyone that could spell Dwight so when Dwight went out of the game they were exposed inside. Just take a look at their playoff stats.

Dwight averaged 27 and 16 on 63% shooting while playing a whopping 43 minutes per game because he didn't have a backup.

Then you had Jameer average 13 points on 38% shooting and JRich average 10 points on 33% shooting. And that's it! Turk, Arenas, Bass and Reddick all averaged under 10 points on less than 43% shooting. Ryan Anderson, having to pick up minutes from the departed Rashard Lewis, averaged 5 points in 25 minutes! Was it great defense that was being played against the Magic? Sure the Hawks actually did play very good defense in that series but we had 6 guys average in double figures in scoring in that playoff run so we had multiple players who stepped up and played well. Yes LD made a great adjustment putting JCo on Dwight, but even then he only played about 15 minutes per game against Orlando so it wasn't like he was out there matching up with Dwight for even half of the game. JVG just had nobody outside of Dwight that he could rely on to score after VC and Lewis were traded and he had to play Dwight way too many minutes since he no longer had Gortat. So you can call it being outcoached by LD but you know that's not the truth, the truth is that he was done in by Otis and his meddling and never stood a chance.

• Like 1

Jenkins will only be able to shine if you have someone in the post commanding a lot of attention/a double team like Howard did with the Magic.Until we have someone who commands constant double teams or until Jenkins works on his game enough to be able to be deadly off the dribble, I don't see him shining. He moves well without the ball and is lights out if he can set his feet, but until we have a better idea of what next year's roster looks like I don't think you can say Jenkins would automatically shine in an SVG offense like a Redick has or a Korver would.

Agreed. Jenkins can be a decent player for us with or without big like Dwight but with Dwight he can become a consistent good player for us.

• Premium Member

I'm not a SVG fan, more because of his behavior off the court than his x and o ability. He might make for some great quotes after games, but I cringed for Magic fans after some of those losses in the way he would so freely call out players. You can talk all you want in-house, but if you want long-term success, I've never thought public embarrassment was a productive tool to get there, or at least, not to the degree that SVG would take it.

Having said that, winning tends to reduce the amount of that that happens, and losing tends to increase it. Put together a roster that can contend, and SVG is okay by me. Put together anything less, and that's a recipe for some very ugly days ahead.

Big risk. Big reward.

At least we wouldn't be Utah-south, eh?

I can get on board with svg. I'm not a night fan but I didn't watch a lot of Magic games.The year we beat the Magic in the playoffs they were imploding from front office moves to Dwight sulking. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not a SVG fan, more because of his behavior off the court than his x and o ability. He might make for some great quotes after games, but I cringed for Magic fans after some of those losses in the way he would so freely call out players. You can talk all you want in-house, but if you want long-term success, I've never thought public embarrassment was a productive tool to get there, or at least, not to the degree that SVG would take it.

Having said that, winning tends to reduce the amount of that that happens, and losing tends to increase it. Put together a roster that can contend, and SVG is okay by me. Put together anything less, and that's a recipe for some very ugly days ahead.

Big risk. Big reward.

At least we wouldn't be Utah-south, eh?

Never seen SVG as a top 3 coach but I did see him as one of the best coaches with an elite defensive scheme and someone who held all his players accountable. He was head strong too much at times and didn't always coach a smart game. Generally speaking, he's no Pop but at the same time, he could do things coaching that Pop couldn't do. He could always develop players, run the right system for his stars, and his teams played consistent Basketball and were always very focused including Dwight. I see him more as a more opinionated Mike Smith who coaches the Atlanta Falcons in Football. He might not be the best but you will get consistent production from his teams and they will play sound smart defense.

We could blame BK if he took a damn good team that LD / Woody coached and then all of a sudden shook up the core and brought in me first turds and said hey go win with this. Because that's exactly what Otis did in Orlando. I know you can't possibly be so blind to have not seen that. When Otis took Vince Carter and Rashard Lewis, 2 solid veteran scorers, and replaced them with a gimpy me first Arenas, a past his prime and no longer capable of playing point forward Turk and a decent JRich there was no way that SVG or anyone was going to be able to win with that roster. Oh yeah and he took their most important bench player Gortat and didn't replace him with anyone that could spell Dwight so when Dwight went out of the game they were exposed inside. Just take a look at their playoff stats.

Dwight averaged 27 and 16 on 63% shooting while playing a whooping 43 minutes per game because he didn't have a backup.

Then you had Jameer average 13 points on 38% shooting and JRich average 10 points on 33% shooting. And that's it! Turk, Arenas, Bass and Reddick all averaged under 10 points on less than 43% shooting. Ryan Anderson, having to pick up minutes from the departed Rashard Lewis, averaged 5 points in 25 minutes! Was it great defense that was being played against the Magic? Sure the Hawks actually did play very good defense in that series but we had 6 guys average in double figures in scoring in that playoff run so we had multiple players who stepped up and played well. Yes LD made a great adjustment putting JCo on Dwight, but even then he only played about 15 minutes per game against Orlando so it wasn't like he was out there matching up with Dwight for even half of the game. JVG just had nobody outside of Dwight that he could rely on to score after VC and Lewis were traded and he had to play Dwight way too many minutes since he no longer had Gortat. So you can call it being outcoached by LD but you know that's not the truth, the truth is that he was done in by Otis and his meddling and never stood a chance.

The difference between the way Orlando played against Atlanta in the 2009-2010 playoffs and the 2010-2011 playoffs isn't the way Atlanta guarded Dwight. It's the fact that Orlando hit their open jumpers in 2009-2010 and didn't in 2010-2011. I'm not real sure how you can coach around an inability to hit open jumpers.

The difference between the way Orlando played against Atlanta in the 2009-2010 playoffs and the 2010-2011 playoffs isn't the way Atlanta guarded Dwight. It's the fact that Orlando hit their open jumpers in 2009-2010 and didn't in 2010-2011. I'm not real sure how you can coach around an inability to hit open jumpers.

Yep it was pretty much systemic too in that series as they had a few good quarters from Jameer but outside of Dwight that was about it. I have zero doubt that had they kept VC, Rashard and Gortat that they'd have run over us like they did time and again before those trades.

They had better players in 09-10. VC ate us alive. They were regressing fast and had numerous bad contracts on board. They were basically the Lakers with a better fit for Dwight and less overall talent.

With all the talk about D12 and SVG mending fences or whatnot, I got the impression that they'd become personally friendly, but I never read or saw anything that led me to believe that Dwight liked SVG as a coach. Hope I'm wrong - I like SVG and if for some reason that can draw in D12 (and then CP3 somehow, all for reasonable contracts), I'm game. Just a little surprised. Even if D12 doesn't happen, I think SVG would be a great addition and upgrade to our staff.

You know I never thought we'd be having this discussion about SVG being a hawks coachThis offseason is going to full of twists and turns. Hopefully MNight Shyamalan isnt somehow directing this and we get some crap twist at the end where Dwight Howard joins UFC

I'm puzzled that everyone seems so excited about SVG. Didn't Dwight get him fired in Orlando? I didn't think Dwight cared for his coaching at all. Am I mistaken?

I'm puzzled that everyone seems so excited about SVG. Didn't Dwight get him fired in Orlando? I didn't think Dwight cared for his coaching at all. Am I mistaken?

You must have just skipped to the last page in this thread instead of reading, because this was explained on page 1.

Dwight has taken advice from the wrong people in the past, and who knows, he may still have those hanger ons. In Orlando, he had a coach that drove his players and worked them hard. In LA, he is experiencing a coach that provides a country club atmosphere for his players. I think Dwight can see the difference, and I think he now realizes what he had with SVG.

SVG is a very good head coach. He's smart, a good communicator with his players, embraces advanced analytics as a tool to use, gets the most out of his teams, and can get folks to buy into his system.

I'd be really happy if we could land SVG. Hell, I'd be happier about SVG than getting D12.

You should be happier. SVG is all about setting up a culture, which is what Danny Ferry is wanting to establish. The one thing that worries me about Dwight is that he may come in thinking that he is greater than the franchise itself. I don't think that is something Ferry wants to establish. He wants a star, but he wants a quiet star a la Tim Duncan.