• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bynum

thecampster

So I'm reading an article the other day that discussed Bynum's value. The article was rating his potential destinations. Per the author, he didn't think Bynum would get a long term guaranteed deal based on his injury history. That any long term deal would have prior injury language after 1-2 years. He also didn't see any team giving him a max deal and only Charlotte offering guaranteed long term money.

So assuming Dwight is a no go, what would you guys do for Bynum?

You know what, let me clarify my thoughts on this first.

Assume no Paul, no Horford.

Assume a healthy Bynum.

Assume Bynum for a 10-12 million dollar deal for 4 years with prior injury language.

Assume a resign of Josh for 12 a year.

Assume Teague signs the 1 year deal for a little less than 4 million.

You still have about 8-12 million to sign a Shooting guard (like Reddick) or other PG.

Is

Teague/Williams

Reddick (or similar)/Jenkins

Smith

Horford

Bynum

2-1st rounders and 4 fill in the blank players enough to compete?

Bynum is a better center than Howard as far as fundamentals are concerned (offense, low-post game)... However, he just missed the whole year and with his history of injuries that would be a huge gamble for us! Anyway, it would be a very risky move. The one that could go both ways... if healthy, Bynum would give us top 3 center at a good price (because I can't imagine anyone overpaying for him right now)... or he could financially cripple us if he's not good to go...

Bynum is a better center than Howard as far as fundamentals are concerned (offense, low-post game)... However, he just missed the whole year and with his history of injuries that would be a huge gamble for us! Anyway, it would be a very risky move. The one that could go both ways... if healthy, Bynum would give us top 3 center at a good price (because I can't imagine anyone overpaying for him right now)... or he could financially cripple us if he's not good to go...

Add in injury language or incentives for playing so many minutes/games in a season. I don't mind paying Bynum if he is healthy. Easily a top 3 center.

Dump Josh, sign Evans and maybe Iggy. Or maybe CP3, Bynum, Horford as the core. Either way make a hell of a run if Bynum is healthy.

Edited by Buzzard

Sad but true. Even Phil Jackson could barely get him to focus on basketball during championship runs. What would he do here where we're scrapping to get back into the playoff discussion?

It seems like a worthwhile risk on the surface but the more you look at it, it's a no-go for us. Oden would be a better risk. At least we know he's hungry to play bball.

With the Cavs winning the lottery, Oden may not be headed there after all.

I don't think Bynum will ever play a full season ever again - he had Phil and Kobe and the Lakers history to keep him in check. With that no longer pushing him and him having rings I don't think he will put in the work.

I'm with the no way crowd. Bynum brings too much baggage and a history of not really caring or even being coachable. Buzzard's idea of Oden sounds like a better option, assuming CP3 and DH12 are off the board.

• Moderators

You read stories like this about Bynum: Jrue Holiday Says Andrew Bynum is an Awesome Teammate; Center Worked Hard, Wanted to Play Then you read stories like this: Andrew Bynum Spends Summer in Spain Flamenco Dancing

Not saying the guy shouldn't go on vacations, but I really don't know what to make of the guy. I'd be willing to take a chance on him, but that contract better team favorable. I feel if we miss out on Dwight, then Bynum should be our plan B.

I would take him...but only if his contract has a team option ,after the first year.That way, if he is gimpy,we can get out of the contract , and use the money on 2014 free agents

Definitely worth taking a chance on. And I argee with your post.

Max him out, but have that team option in Year 2, and possibly even Year 3. If he wants a player option in Year 4, give him that.

If teams aren't willing to commit to him long term, or max him out, this will probably be the best deal I'd offer him right now.

I'd take him and use him like Shaq. He would be limited until the last half of the season and the playoffs. Build a team good enough to make the playoffs without him as a midrange seed, then bring him on full bore around March.

Dudes a sideshow. Every other center in the league presents a better value than he or Dwight because they're coachable and dedicated to the game. You can't overpay a bum just because he has gifts of length or strength when so many other factors are lacking. He actually has a condition around his pelvis and hip bones that place unusual stress on his body when he runs. You're gonna max out a guy who's not even gonna hustle up the floor a la Joe Johnson?

Dudes a sideshow. Every other center in the league presents a better value than he or Dwight because they're coachable and dedicated to the game. You can't overpay a bum just because he has gifts of length or strength when so many other factors are lacking. He actually has a condition around his pelvis and hip bones that place unusual stress on his body when he runs. You're gonna max out a guy who's not even gonna hustle up the floor a la Joe Johnson?

Yep.

If I can get a team option in that 2nd and/or 3rd year, I'm definitely taking a chance on him.

When he has been healthy, he may be THE best center in the league. If the Lakers were to take everything back, they would've never traded Bynum away for Howard. They'd reverse that deal in a heartbeat . . . injuries and all.

The "experts" around the league who think this guy isn't going to get a big contract, are out of their minds. Way too much talent there to simply toss to the side, just because he's kinda goofy and injury prone. Because if he DOES stay healthy, he immediately changes the fortunes of this team.

Teams that have cap space, and virtually have no chance to win a title as constructed ( like us ), would be kinda stupid not to take a chance on a guy like Bynum. You don't fully guarantee his contract, but you make those dollars high enough so that he'd think twice about taking a fully guaranteed offer at a lower amount.

You don't win championships with marginal talent. You win championships with ballers.

• Like 1