• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I'm starting to get what Ferry is doing now

GameTime

I think Ferry is trying to tank with out actually tanking. This team is looking like it will be stout defensively, but anemic on offense. I think his goal is to build a team that can compete, but not built to make the last shot if absolutely needed. If you look at the East its obvious that:

[*]Miami [*]New York [*]Brooklyn [*]Indiana [*]Chicago

Are all better than the Hawks at this point. And by a long shot. On the other hand you have:

[*]Charlotte [*]Toronto [*]Boston

That are plainly worse. Stuck in the middle you have

[*]Cleveland [*]Milwaukee [*]Orlando [*]Philly [*]Detroit [*]Washington

We only need three of those teams to be better than us next year and we're in the lottery. The more the better. Then we hope Nique has some magic during the drawing and we can acquire a scorer with a top 5 (hopefully) pick

I think ATL could possibly get a 4 seed.

Bargnani will make the Knicks worse (probably not 10 games worse though) and Rose is an unknown still.

we are not better than the heat,bulls,nets,knicks, or pacers. Those are locked as the top 5 seeds.

The cavs and wizards can easily jump to playoff teams this year and potentially pass us if they dont deal with any major injury problems.

Right now I see us as the 7th seed with the roster we have so far.

Guest Zone

we are not better than the heat,bulls,nets,knicks, or pacers. Those are locked as the top 5 seeds.

The cavs and wizards can easily jump to playoff teams this year and potentially pass us if they dont deal with any major injury problems.

Right now I see us as the 7th seed with the roster we have so far.

This.

The Hawks will be in the 6th-8th seed area. This squad will be lucky to get out of the first round. We're not doing anything next year with this roster. Welcome to Basketball Hell.

If it looks like we are heading south before the trade deadline, you can always deal Teague and Millsap to make sure you are in the lottery.

Also, who says Teague could even be on the roster next season? We could be a lottery team to start the season and Ferry is just adding pieces (Millsap) on good contracts that could be valuable trade pieces at the deadline. The roster doesn't look that good right now (especially the SG/SF positions and the fact that we have no PG as of now), so we don't know what it will look like yet.

Edited by RWF

All this Ferry hate and Hawk negativity is cracking me up. Y'all act like contenders happen overnight. I don't see Cuban's Mavs tanking. I didn't see the Bulls tank before Rose (won 33 games that year and they became great once Thibs took over). I didn't see the Rockets tank before they got Harden and Dwight. While I do see perennial lotto teams like Sacramento, Charlotte, and Washington continue to be perennial lotto teams. Seriously, this is Danny's second year as GM and I don't see big name's lining up to sign with these perennial lotto teams either. Al Jefferson went to Charlotte and Smoove went to Detroit for the money. If you want stars to sign with you and stay on your team, you have got to stay competitive. Being a basement team is just bad basketball and culture. The way the Hawks will make a contender is a mixture of what Memphis, OKC, and Houston has done.

Here is the problem, we don't expect contention overnight, although we would like contention in the last 40+ years. We have been a middle of the pack or worse team forever it seems. We don't expect us to compete for a title overnight, but I would like to be able to compete for a good player.

• Moderators

Here is the problem, we don't expect contention overnight, although we would like contention in the last 40+ years. We have been a middle of the pack or worse team forever it seems. We don't expect us to compete for a title overnight, but I would like to be able to compete for a good player.

Is the last 40 years Ferry's fault? Has Ferry done anything in the past year that closely resembles anything from those 40 years? The Hawks have been anywhere from bad to mediocre in the last 40 years and the only thing that the draft every gave them was Dominique for a superstar. In those 40 years, the Hawks never went after free agents. We have good players on this roster and it's going to take Ferry a lot longer than one year to build a team. This is a new era of Hawks basketball. Being mediocre isn't good enough for Danny. Danny isn't afraid of taking chances. Danny has drafted well.

• Like 2

Well damn, in the back of my mind I was hoping that was a possibility for us ....

(Sorry if someone else posted about this, but I didn't see it)

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9455003/cleveland-cavaliers-reach-4-year-deal-jarrett-jack

The Cleveland Cavaliers have reached a four-year deal that could be worth as much as $25 million with free agent Jarrett Jack, the guard confirmed to ESPN on Saturday.

The last year of the deal is a team option, league sources told ESPN.com.

"I'm excited to be a part of another journey," Jack told ESPN.com via text message.

The Golden State Warriors renounced their rights to Jack on Friday as part of a deal to sign free agent Andre Iguodala. That cleared the Cavs to make a deal with the 29-year-old combo guard who is coming off a season in which he averaged 12.9 points and 5.6 assists for the Warriors.

Jack is expected to play a similar role in Cleveland as he did in Golden State, where he was part of a strong three-guard rotation with Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson. The Cavs have a young backcourt with All-Star Kyrie Irving and 2012 first-round draft pick Dion Waiters that Jack will now join.

-snip-

At best, this is the 90's all over again.

-snip-

Those 90s teams had real stars who had a shot at a title. The Mutumbo, Mookie team gave the Bulls a good run in 96. And until they blew it up, that team didn't look to deal anyone who had a good year and might want more money. I think if any of these draft picks do pan out, the Atlanta Spirit will get them out of town as fast as possible to avoid paying them.

Is the last 40 years Ferry's fault? Has Ferry done anything in the past year that closely resembles anything from those 40 years? The Hawks have been anywhere from bad to mediocre in the last 40 years and the only thing that the draft every gave them was Dominique for a superstar. In those 40 years, the Hawks never went after free agents. We have good players on this roster and it's going to take Ferry a lot longer than one year to build a team. This is a new era of Hawks basketball. Being mediocre isn't good enough for Danny. Danny isn't afraid of taking chances. Danny has drafted well.

No, but the fact is based on the last 40 years there is a lot Ferry has to change to get a superstar to come here that isn't drafted. I so want this team to be a contender, and just making the playoffs isn't a way that is going to happen. I can wait a few years, sure, but not a single word about what the plan is and there seems to be such small movement I am confused how this team is going. Sure we are focusing on D and hard work...great! But we need scoring and right now this team is lacking that difference maker. I would not be against tanking to get someone like that, but Ferry can't tell anyone what he is doing. It is just frustrating to watch when you see a team like Miami win a championship before a team that is as established as this one.

Edited by noble

All this Ferry hate and Hawk negativity is cracking me up. Y'all act like contenders happen overnight. I don't see Cuban's Mavs tanking. I didn't see the Bulls tank before Rose (won 33 games that year and they became great once Thibs took over). I didn't see the Rockets tank before they got Harden and Dwight. While I do see perennial lotto teams like Sacramento, Charlotte, and Washington continue to be perennial lotto teams. Seriously, this is Danny's second year as GM and I don't see big name's lining up to sign with these perennial lotto teams either. Al Jefferson went to Charlotte and Smoove went to Detroit for the money. If you want stars to sign with you and stay on your team, you have got to stay competitive. Being a basement team is just bad basketball and culture. The way the Hawks will make a contender is a mixture of what Memphis, OKC, and Houston has done.

The Thunder went through the draft.... Memphis has maxed out their potential with their current team. Dallas has had a centerpiece and that helps. The Hawks don't. Maybe Cuban hasn't realized it quite yet, but people aren't lining up to play with a declining Dirk now. Are they still a hot spot with Dirk about done? Once that centerpiece is gone or is declining, we aren't seeing them get the same love.

I'm sorry, but winning 42 games with no centerpiece is not going to wow the top FA's. Dwight possibly things Harden is that player, but nobody is going to look at Horf and think he is what they need to win a title. Dwight was only going to come here if Paul came and I'm sure Paul was only going to come here if Dwight came. Sure, Paul wanted to be drafted here, but he was young then.

Those 90s teams had real stars who had a shot at a title. The Mutumbo, Mookie team gave the Bulls a good run in 96. And until they blew it up, that team didn't look to deal anyone who had a good year and might want more money. I think if any of these draft picks do pan out, the Atlanta Spirit will get them out of town as fast as possible to avoid paying them.

The 90's Hawks teams were not title contenders. I might have thought so then, but I was a teenager.

Those teams lacked scoring, depth and they had health issues.

Why do people keep saying we dont have a player to build around? Al Horford was a high lottery pick. Al Horford averages about 18/10. A LOT of teams would kill to have him on their team.

He is a good player but not the center piece of a contender. Similar to Chris Bosh in Toronto. He averaged 24&11 in 2010 (much better than Horf). Horf would be a perfect Robin though.

I could argue that there is no such thing as a true 100% centerpiece. Yes I know Lebron, Melo, Kobe, etc, etc. But those guys never won without another star. I could argue every star is just a complimentary piece.

My point is Al Horford could be our Tim Duncan. Sure we still need a Tony Parker and Manu, but one piece is already here.

One problem with Horford as our Duncan...he HATES playing center, which means we need a real center. Then if that center isn't a superstar we will still need to get a SF or guard that is. If that is the case will the C or the other guard be the star that is part of the big 3? That is the way the teams are going.

Stock up with high PER and IQ, hard nosed guys on value contracts.. This team could be deeper than Indiana. I'm kinda liking it. Just need some scoring guards now.

I think the interest in Ellis is about the scoring punch. You need someone to take to the ball and the end of the game, and Ellis is actually fairly well rated in "clutch" metrics (see 82games.com). I'm really reaching to fit Ellis into the plan. I guess it should be noted that Ellis was targeted at the deadline as well, so DF must have legitimate interest.