• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What about Chris Kaman as a short term center option?

AtlHomer

• Premium Member

If you look at his career stats, you will see he has done pretty well, especially when he was with the Clippers. He had some injury issues which has resulted in him playing less than 50 games for two seasons a while back though he did play 66 games for Dallas this past year. Some of you might remember talk of trading JSmith for him several years ago. He has consistently averaged in double figures in scoring while doing a decent job on the boards. He's a UFA also.

Given the model of signing players to short term contracts DFerry seems to want, Kaman may take a 2 year/$18 million (he made $8 Million last year) contract. If healthy, I think he is good for 28-34 minutes a game consistently. He's only 31 years old also.

Any thoughts or better suggestions? I'd only consider Bynum for a contract that protects the Hawks in case of injuries.

If you look at his career stats, you will see he has done pretty well, especially when he was with the Clippers. He had some injury issues which has resulted in him playing less than 50 games for two seasons a while back though he did play 66 games for Dallas this past year. Some of you might remember talk of trading JSmith for him several years ago. He has consistently averaged in double figures in scoring while doing a decent job on the boards. He's a UFA also.

Given the model of signing players to short term contracts DFerry seems to want, Kaman may take a 2 year/$18 million (he made $8 Million last year) contract. If healthy, I think he is good for 28-34 minutes a game consistently. He's only 31 years old also.

Any thoughts or better suggestions? I'd only consider Bynum for a contract that protects the Hawks in case of injuries.

A lot of the so called experts in the media see Kaman being a player we target. Here is some food for thought, both Korver, Millsap, and Carroll came out of no where to be signed. No leaks what so ever; so maybe its the players like Kaman ( not Ellis for example ) that we are not hearing anything about that Ferry is talking with.

Edited by Buzzard

I would like Kaman on a 2 year $12-$14 mill deal.He would give us 25 quality mpg as a legit 7 footer.

Agreed. He would allow us flexibility to move AL to PF (most of the time) and has a great chatroom name.

Two years would be good, although at his age, he will probably be pushing for three at least. Three years for $18 to $20m wouldn't be bad.

• Premium Member

Hopefully DFerry is keeping quiet about possible negotiations with Kaman. I believe he can still provide a consistent low post scoring presence. I also believe he has something to prove.

• Premium Member

For those that want Bynum on a short term contract, you also must ask if he would accept it. I don't believe he will. I am sure there is some team willing to gamble and offer him a 4 year, high dollar contract. I would probably include escape clauses in case of injury.

A 2 year team option based contract is all I hope Ferry offers if he is indeed interested.Ferry will be unable to insure his contract, so make it so he can cut bait after one season if it doesn't work.Additionally, if the plan is to play Horford at PF by acquiring Bynum, Ferry also has to get a reliable back-up because Bynum will definitely not play 82 games and more likely not even play 60 games.

I'd much rather have Kaman than Bynum. Kaman at least cares about playing basketball. Bynum appears interested in everything but NBA basketball. A 2 year deal for Kaman sounds about right. I could even see an option year being added if incentives are met.