• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Heyward

We need to keep Heyward in CF. He's our only outfielder who actually cares and covers a lot of range. The Upton brothers seem like they don't give a damn about defense 80% of the time, and that other 20% doesn't even matter because they're not as good defensively like Heyward is. Keep Heyward in CF, put Justin in LF, and trade BJ for a bag of chips. Posted Image

• Moderators

We need to keep Heyward in CF. He's our only outfielder who actually cares and covers a lot of range. The Upton brothers seem like they don't give a damn about defense 80% of the time, and that other 20% doesn't even matter because they're not as good defensively like Heyward is. Keep Heyward in CF, put Justin in LF, and trade BJ for a bag of chips. Posted Image

I haven't seen a ton but i felt BJ was pretty good. I'd be concerned that Heyward will hurt himself in center but that catch was great.

Is Schafer coming back? I'd be happy with Schafer as starting CF

• Moderators

I am probably going to cut him in my keeper auction fantasy baseball league because I just don't have enough faith in him becoming a top OF at the plate. I have owned him for 5 years now and have only gotten a profit in terms of cost and value in 2 of those 5 years. Ironically, I have both him and Justin Upton on the team and the results have been similarly inconsistent (although Upton has been a better value overall).

Heyward has to rebuild his swing. That bounce thing he does is horrible. The key to hitting is to see the ball. With that bounce, he's changing his eye level constantly. Eliminate the bounce and see a BA bounce. Those holes we see in his swing will also get smaller. If he doesn't do that, then he'll hit ~.250 with 20 HR a year.

In terms of Schafer, he has a foot fracture so probably another 3 weeks.

Heyward has to rebuild his swing. That bounce thing he does is horrible. The key to hitting is to see the ball. With that bounce, he's changing his eye level constantly. Eliminate the bounce and see a BA bounce. Those holes we see in his swing will also get smaller. If he doesn't do that, then he'll hit ~.250 with 20 HR a year. In terms of Schafer, he has a foot fracture so probably another 3 weeks.

True. You would think his hitting coaches would've broken that bounce by now. It's usually the pitchers job to change the hitter's eye level. With Heyward, their job is halfway done already. Just locate and he'll be nowhere near the pitch. I've personally seen enough of his unproductive outs. He'd be long gone if he wasn't a Gold Glove Candidate every year.

A new hitting coach should be priority #1 once the Braves season is over with.

The Braves don't need a new hitting coach, and Jason Heyward doesn't need to rebuild his swing. Jason right now is having one of the unluckiest seasons a hitter could have. He has a career high line drive percentage, but his BABIP is at a career low. This past month, his BABIP was .330, and his numbers responded by posting an 0.863 OPS in that month with a 0.183 ISO.

• Like 1

The Braves don't need a new hitting coach, and Jason Heyward doesn't need to rebuild his swing. Jason right now is having one of the unluckiest seasons a hitter could have. He has a career high line drive percentage, but his BABIP is at a career low. This past month, his BABIP was .330, and his numbers responded by posting an 0.863 OPS in that month with a 0.183 ISO.

Actually, I think Heyward agrees with my assessment. His bounce is noticeably decreased over the past week. He's also a little more straight up in the box now. He's also stating to get hits. The numbers can be suggestive, but you do have the subjective observation as an important indicator of how well a guy is setting himself up to get hits. Bouncing before the pitch is not a good approach to hitting.

In terms of a new hitting coach, I would say no to that. Walker is obviously working with Heyward and the Uptons to simplify their mechanics. Less moving parts means less to go wrong. The consistent hitters all have very simple swings and timing devices. Heyward appears to be on the way to getting there. Justin already said he's simplifying his swing under Walker's guidance.

• 2 weeks later...

Heyward is doing what he has done all year long. The difference his, over the past 13 games, he has a BABIP of .320 whereas previously he had a BABIP of .260. Those line drives that were going right at someone are falling in now.