NLDS: Braves vs Dodgers

WraithSentinel

It is official now. Braves have to face the Dodgers. They gotta deal with Kershaw,Grienke and likely Ryu.

This is the worst matchup for the Braves. Going against these 3 is going to be very difficult to say the least. They hit better vs the Phillies. Phillies threw out a bunch of scrubs except Lee who shut them down.

Our pitching must match the Dodgers starter pitch for pitch. Hitters need to work the count and get the Dodgers starters out of the game early.

Common sene stuff I know. It is the only chance I give the Braves in the series. Outside of the Dodgers stareters just having off nights which is possible. I wouldn't expect that to happen.

The other big obstacle facing the Braves is that its October. Where strange and usually bad things happen to the Braves. They are one of the worst snake bitten teams when they get into the playoffs. Any wrong call or just overall badluck that can happen. It will happen to the Braves.

• Like 1

• Moderators

lineup prediction?

Heyward

J-Up

Freeman

Gattis

McCann

C-Johnson

Uggla

Simmons

I think E-Johnson should start a 2nd but don't have much hope in that. Would like to see Schafer in there too.

I'll be there chopping Thursday. Wish they'd give us a game time. Dodgers-Braves should be considered a pretty popular game this year.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Who's Glacial?

B.J. Upton and Dan Uggla: Atlanta's slugging second baseman had a three-game hitting streak in the middle of the month, but. unfortunately, that was the very thinly sliced meat in an otherwise mostly 0-for-sandwich. Uggla hit just .128 in September, which was technically 45 points higher than the .083 he hit in August.

Uggla's middling sidekick also kept up with his career-worst season as Upton hit .106 in September and has capped off his forgettable year with a 0-for-16 clip.

Uggla and Upton have struggled to even make it on the field of late as it appears Gonzalez has finally lost faith in the two highest-paid players on the roster.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/atlanta-braves-whos-hot-whos-not-heading-playoffs-155200697--mlb.html

lineup prediction?

Heyward

J-Up

Freeman

Gattis

McCann

C-Johnson

Uggla

Simmons

I think E-Johnson should start a 2nd but don't have much hope in that. Would like to see Schafer in there too.

I'll be there chopping Thursday. Wish they'd give us a game time. Dodgers-Braves should be considered a pretty popular game this year.

If McCann is still unhealthy I'd say something like

CF- Heyward

RF- J. Upton

1B- Freeman

C- Gattis

3B- C. Johnson

SS- Simmons

LF- Schafer

2B- E. Johnson

That's a perfect small ball lineup. Upton, Gattis, Simmons, and E. Johnson are all hot at the same time with Freeman, C. Johnson and Heyward. LETS GO!

Six of 33 ESPN analysts pick the Braves over L.A.

By Mark Bradley

ESPN asked its 33 baseball analysts -- yes, ESPN has more analysts than the Menninger Clinic -- to make postseason picks. Of the 33, six picked the Atlanta Braves over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the Division Series. Of those six, two picked the Braves to reach the World Series. Of those two, only Peter Pascarelli sees the Braves winning the title.

That doesn't constitute a groundswell of support, especially for a team that had the second-best record in the National League and tied with Oakland for the third-best in the majors. Not that regular seasons mean a whole lot come October. The second-most popular choice (after Boston) to win it all is Detroit, which was chosen by eight of the 33 Worldwide Leaders. The Tigers won 93 game, three fewer than Atlanta and one fewer than Pittsburgh, which has to face Cincinnati in the dreaded play-in game.

Read more: http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/mark-bradley/2013/oct/01/six-33-espn-analysts-pick-braves-over-l/

• Moderators

Uggla likely off the roster. Outstanding news.

Yes but I don't like that there seem to be some waffling. What's to think about? Not sure who the backup infielders are though. If E Johnson starts at second who do we have? We wouldn't carry Janish over Uggla would we? I guess maybe for defensive purposes.

Who am i missing?

• Moderators

Its official:

The Division Series roster:

PITCHERS (11): Luis Avilan (LH), Luis Ayala (RH), David Carpenter (RH), Freddy Garcia (RH), David Hale (RH), Craig Kimbrel (RH), Kris Medlen (RH), Mike Minor (LH), Julio Teheran (RH), Jordan Walden (RH) and Alex Wood (LH)

CATCHERS (3): Evan Gattis, Gerald Laird and Brian McCann

INFIELDERS (5): Freddie Freeman, Paul Janish, Chris Johnson, Elliot Johnson and Andrelton Simmons

OUTFIELDERS (6): Jose Constanza, Jason Heyward, Reed Johnson, Jordan Schafer, B.J. Upton and Justin Upton

6 outfielders and 5 infielders. That seems weird to me. I suppose Gattis can play 1st in a pinch. I guess we'll see BJ pinch running and subing for Gattis in late innings and probably see Schafer starting some. Pretty solid lineup. I hope McCann is ready.

ESPN was talking about this game a lot in their early morning show.

Quiet a few different players mentioned and how good they are.

Strange thing about it, the only time the Braves were even mentioned

was to inform their viewers who the Dodgers opponent was going to be.

Their coverage made them sound like a LA home town station.

No respect at all. Dodgers pitcher for game one is the sure fire winner

of the award for the best pitcher in baseball and their starter for game

two is so good his poop don't stink. Add to this the fact that LA has the

hottest hitting team ever known, the best defense ever and the smartest

players and coaches who ever had anything to do with baseball and we

begin to see why there will be no contest in the first round. If ESPN has

their way, series will end in four with LA having 4 shut outs.

Being an underdog is bad enough, but dang - - - -

GO DREAM!

Edited by Gray Mule

• Moderators

You could say the Dodgers were coasting but here are some stats for the September Dodgers:

September Record: 12-15

102 runs scored (3.78 per game)
102 runs allowed (3.78 per game)

Pinch hitting: For the month the Dodgers hit just .184/.196/.327 (9-for-49) with two home runs as a pinch hitter.

Runners in Scoring Position: In September, the Dodgers hit .225/.300/.348 with runners in scoring position in 263 plate appearances, with 10 doubles and six home runs.

They had a runner on third base with less than two outs 52 times, and got the runner home 18 times, or 34.6% (the entire NL scored 392 of 808 times, 48.5%).

They had a runner on second base with nobody out 33 times in September, and the runner advanced 14 times, or 42.4% (the entire NL advanced the runner 307 of 582 times, 52.8%).

Ramirez 65 54 12 20 3 0 5 11 9 0/1 .370/.462/.704 1.165 Uribe 82 78 12 24 6 1 5 13 4 1/0 .308/.341/.603 .944 Kemp 39 35 5 11 3 0 1 6 4 0/0 .314/.385/.486 .870 Ethier 45 38 6 8 5 0 2 5 6 0/0 .211/.333/.500 .833 Puig 99 84 13 18 2 0 6 11 10 1/1 .214/.333/.452 .786

I believe Kemp is out right? Still Ramirez and Uribe are hot. I cherry picked the bad stats but i keep hearing the Braves limped into the playoffs but the Dodgers actually had a worse September. Just their July and August sealed the division for them. Also, this is a crummy division:

Final National League West Standings Club W-L Pct GB RS RA Dodgers 92-70 .568 -- 649 582 Arizona 81-81 .500 11 685 695 San Diego 76-86 .469 16 618 700 San Francisco 76-86 .469 16 629 691 Colorado 74-88 .457 18 706 760

Sorry this didn't format like i'd hoped

http://www.truebluela.com/2013/10/2/4795210/dodgers-september-review-hanley-ramirez-zack-greinke

Edited by macdaddy

• Moderators

No Respect theme is nothing new especially for Atl Sports teams. I was expecting it for the Braves. It seem to happen to all of them though. It would be nice if one could finally prove the "experts" wrong for once.

I saw on espn this afternoon they gave us the edge in two categories: Bullpen and Home Field LOL. That's the first time i've seen Atlanta fans get a nod. They gave the starting pitching, hitting, and managing to the Dodgers.