• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schröder Represents Future For Atlanta Hawks

The Hawks selected promising point guard Dennis Schröder with the No. 17 overall pick in this year’s draft. As training camp picks up steam, the rookie guard has made a solid first impression on veterans Elton Brand and Lou Williams – two players who have been around great talent. Both rave about Schröder’s poise and defensive prowess and each predict a very bright future.

“There’s not a lot we have to tell Dennis,” Williams said during the team’s media day. “I think he just has to adjust to the way we play here. He’s a hack. He likes fouling. He’s very aggressive on defense and in this league it could be quite challenging to play that style of defense. A lot of his learning will be on the fly.

“I don’t think he’s going to have a lot of 20-year-old bumps in the road. He’s played professional basketball. He’s not scared of anything and I think that is one thing that’s going to benefit him. We’ve had conversations where he’s ready to play against the top guards in the league and he looks forward to it.”

Brand believes expecting Schröder to carry a huge load as a rookie might be a stretch, but admits he was quickly made a believer on the defensive comparisons between Schröder and Boston Celtics All-Star guard Rajon Rondo.

“The point guard spot is the toughest to learn as a rookie and be a leader out there,” Brand said. “But he has all of the intangibles. He has all the potential. He has all the skill.

“His defense is amazing. When he picks up full court it’s uncanny. I said you can’t compare a young guy to Rondo; [i said] maybe he just has long arms like Rondo. But no, I see where the comparisons are defensively.”

“It’s so early in the process I really haven’t had an opportunity to really talk to him,” Williams said. “But I think he’s ahead of the learning curve. He’s extremely talented and he’s already played at a professional level, so this isn’t his first rodeo. I think that’s the difference between him and me. When I came [into the league], I was fresh out of high school but he’s been playing professional basketball for quite a while.”

Entire article: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Schröder-represents-future-for-atlanta-hawks

I really love hearing about the defense.

Yea I love hearing about Defense too becuz when u have no Superstars on ur team the way to get to the top is to play Superior defense and become a team thats a defensive juggernaut

Edited by Bonkers

We've now got two of 'em! JJ is our starter and he is going to be backed

up by Dennis the Menance. Keep these two healthy and we have the PG

problem covered for many years.

We need them both.

• Premium Member

I'm hoping Dennis the Menace shows enough by the deadline we will trade Teague for a first and give Dennis the starting job. Kid has looked like the first elite point guard talent I can ever remember the Hawks drafting in my lifetime.

I'm hoping Dennis the Menace shows enough by the deadline we will trade Teague for a first and give Dennis the starting job. Kid has looked like the first elite point guard talent I can ever remember the Hawks drafting in my lifetime.

lol

I like Dennis a lot, but I still don't think he's ready to take over the helm. Plus, he's really got to work on his ballhandling skills, that's one area where Teague has him beat hands down. If you've watched as much Schröder on YouTube as I have, you'll quickly realize that despite being a great floor general, he gets bogged down when pressed and double-teamed and turns the ball over a lot. Teague has been seasoned enough and can handle himself very well. I actually think that if you could somehow mush Teague and Schröder together, you'd have almost exactly what Coach Bud is looking for ... a really good, fairly comparable player to Tony Parker. Maybe the comparison isn't exact, but you can likely see where I'm going with it. Phenomenal ballhandler, great court vision, great leader, can drive, shoot from outside, whatever. But I think Teague will be able to make up more of what Coach Bud is looking for in its entirety before Dennis gets there. That's not to say Dennis is bad or anything, I just think all this talk about him leading an NBA team is a bit premature. And Teague is a lot better than many on here give him credit for. Regardless, I think we're very strong at PG this year.

Like someone already said, i believe it is to early yet to use him as first option.And i wouldn't trade teague, when i am a hawk GM - i believe it Dennis turns out to be good enough to run the show Teague has no problem to play the 2 spot like in College. But this would be intresting for me especially at the begin of the season(cause of Lou).And maybe in the PO when you want to play with a smaller rotation.If Schröder and Jenkins develope well, then you can think of trading teague or Williams for a 3 or a 5 Edited by CrazyEye

• Premium Member

Teague is too short to play SG and doesn't have the mentality or defensive prowess to play there. He is a PG. If Dennis develops like I think he will then Teague is a liability since he can't play SG and he'd be making far too much money to be a backup.

There is no need to trade Teague THIS YEAR unless it nets us something substantial to put us in the Champuonship discussion. Teague is not a full time SG but he can be effective in spot minutes if Schröder shows he can handle rigors of NBA ( I think he will).Which team are you trading Teague to that will net you a substantial player? If it's for a pick then wait until the draft next season to see if the player you want from this 'can't miss' draft class is available.

• Premium Member

There is no need to trade Teague THIS YEAR unless it nets us something substantial to put us in the Champuonship discussion.Teague is not a full time SG but he can be effective in spot minutes if Schröder shows he can handle rigors of NBA ( I think he will).Which team are you trading Teague to that will net you a substantial player? If it's for a pick thenwait until the draft next season to see if the player you want from this 'can't miss' draft class is available.

There's every reason to trade him this year if Dennis develops to be the starter. Why would you bench Teague for 8 million a year? He's not a SG. You either trade him or make the most insanely overpaid backup player in the league.

As for what I would trade him for? I already said. A first round pick is all it would take. Dennis as a starter makes Teague useless on our team.

I think Schröder will be a better POINT GUARD than Teague by the all star break, if not earlier. Playing pro ball in Europe is no joke. It's a man's league. It's not equivalent to college ball in any way.

He already has exceptional defensive footwork and elite level court vision, just needs to be more cognizant of making safe, textbook passes without rushing. And hopefully his teammates will be very vocal and call out screens to him, as teams will quickly try to peel his pressure off with a nice thud from someone twice his size. He can easily navigate them if he's aware. I think he'll be a household name to even casual fans by the third quarter of the season and get some ROY consideration. He flexed more style than anyone this summer. I'm pretty sure Teague will see zero minutes at the 2.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

I think Schröder will be a better POINT GUARD than Teague by the all star break, if not earlier. Playing pro ball in Europe is no joke. It's a man's league. It's not equivalent to college ball in any way.

We're going to need to see a massive improvement from the SL in order for him to pass Teague that quickly. This is the first time in a long time I'm actually looking forward to the preseason.

I don't think he looked all that hot during the open scrimmage today (Sat). Maybe he was sick or having an off night or something, but I wasn't really all that impressed. And I like him a lot and I want to see him succeed. Seems like a great leader and he has a lot of potential. But just from what I saw tonight anyway, he's got some growing to do. He maybe had 5 or 6 pts in pretty substantial minutes. He had some bad passes to go along with some good ones, mostly resulting from not handling the ball well in heavy traffic in the lane.

And it's not just tonight. There were several areas in need of improvement that were readily apparent from SL. Ballhandling skills, especially when pressured or in the lane. He doesn't have a quick release shot. Mid-range shooting isn't so great. His otherwise pretty solid court vision seems to break down often when in the lane - e.g., one of the last SL games when he kicked out to JJ instead of dumping to Moose right next to him already on his way up for the dunk. Etc.

Not saying I hate the guy or think he's a crummy player. I actually think he's great for a 20-yr old rookie and he has the ability to be better than Teague one day. But honestly, he's got a lot of catching up to do to get to Teague's level, and I just don't think it's realistic to think he's going to surpass Teague anytime in the next 2 yrs. After that, we'll see.