• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Ex-Hawk Josh Smith not miffed by benching

iDash

Posted Image

"Detroit Pistons forward Josh Smith says he was not miffed at his noticeable lack of playing time in Tuesday's loss to the Golden State Warriors.

Smith, who signed a $54 million deal to join the Pistons in the offseason, scored just two points in a season-low 19 minutes Tuesday. But Smith insisted he did not take the benching personally."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9969946/josh-smith-detroit-pistons-not-miffed-lack-playing-golden-state-warriors

Joseph Shelton · Top Commenter · University of Michigan–Dearborn
I just knew this wouldnt work smh..he takes toooo many dumb shots ATL was right in not resigning him..we are stuck with him now..hes horrible at the 3 and i cringe when he takes the ball down the court like a pt guard..he should only have the ball when hes in the paint..Joe Dumars has to go ..plus they never play rookies makes no sense..they have no clue how to develop young talent..how do you NOT play kcp and start billups? Its a joke

I don't usually laugh at the misfortune of others, but this was funny. Now the media is noticing all the warts now that he isn't a Hawk.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I didn't watch the game but the box score is crazy. Monroe and Jennings have a +/- of around -30 each in 30 minutes. Drummond also played 30 minutes and had a +/- of +1 in a game they got blown out in. Smith of course has a horrible line.

Its really starting to seem like Dumars just lucked into that championship team. Smith is untradeable but you have to get him to the 4. Which i guess would mean trading Drummond. I'd be happy to take Monroe off their hands.

I don't usually laugh at the misfortune of others, but this was funny. Now the media is noticing all the warts now that he isn't a Hawk.

No, we are just a weak fanbase that doesn't appreciate anything that we have.

I didn't watch the game but the box score is crazy. Monroe and Jennings have a +/- of around -30 each in 30 minutes. Drummond also played 30 minutes and had a +/- of +1 in a game they got blown out in. Smith of course has a horrible line.

Its really starting to seem like Dumars just lucked into that championship team. Smith is untradeable but you have to get him to the 4. Which i guess would mean trading Drummond. I'd be happy to take Monroe off their hands.

Monroe is the only likely trade candidate given that he's an RFA next summer. That will be dependent on how far they want to run this experiment though as they do have the flexibility to resign him.

• Moderators

Hate to say it Detroit but... Told ya so. Dumars should be gone after this season. His answer to fixing the Pistons for Gores was to bring in two of the most inefficient players in the league. Sorry Joe, but you gotta go. Kinda sweet that we dumped the most inefficient player in the league for the most efficient player in this past free agency class. Makes me love Paul Millsap even more!

• Premium Member

Hate to say it Detroit but... Told ya so. Dumars should be gone after this season. His answer to fixing the Pistons for Gores was to bring in two of the most inefficient players in the league. Sorry Joe, but you gotta go. Kinda sweet that we dumped the most inefficient player in the league for the most efficient player in this past free agency class. Makes me love Paul Millsap even more!

Gotta agree. I was a huge Josh Smith fan but his game went off the rails. I can't believe my eyes now that we have a PF who just makes the plays he's supposed to make and doesn't sabotage the offense to stroke his ego. I don't know how this team will end up doing this year, but I'm loving watching them play more than any team since the Jamal Crawford debut team.

Josh Smith is benched in Game 7 as a Piston (AJC)

A byproduct of his reduced court time was that he could manage only two 3-point shots Tuesday; in six previous games, he'd tried an average of 6.3 treys. (He has made 11 of 40 on the season, or 27.5 percent.)

As a Hawk last season, Smith tried an average of 3.3 treys. It would seem that he has taken his new contract as a license to hoist even more. From his benching, it would seem that his new employers aren't terribly enthused.

Motor City doesn't appreciate 75-footers?

Edited by Bahamut
  • Like 1

From the AJC blog:

So I've just moved to Portland a few months ago, from my native Atlanta.

While watching the Blazers play the Pistons, with the game close late in the 4th quarter, the Blazers TV announcers surmised that the Pistons might look to Smith for his ability to shoot 3-pointers to try and bring the game closer. Seriously.

I couldn't help but laugh out loud for a few minutes.

Posted Image

• Like 1

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/mark-bradley/2013/nov/13/josh-smith-benched-game-7-piston/

Mark Bradley

That didn't take long. Josh Smith, who left the Atlanta Hawks to sign with Detroit for $54 million as a free agent, was benched in his seventh game as a Piston. He started against Golden State on Tuesday but played only 19 minutes. He was removed with 1:39 remaining in the first quarter. He returned with 5:25 left in the third period. He finished with two points and no rebounds.

According to Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press, Pistons coach Maurice Cheeks denied that he was, in the vernacular, trying to send a message: "Not at all. It's about trying to change some things up."

The 19 minutes marked the first time as a Piston that Smith hadn't played at least 33. A byproduct of his reduced court time was that he could manage only two 3-point shots Tuesday; in six previous games, he'd tried an average of 6.3 treys. (He has made 11 of 40 on the season, or 27.5 percent.)

As a Hawk last season, Smith tried an average of 3.3 treys. It would seem that he has taken his new contract as a license to hoist even more. From his benching, it would seem that his new employers aren't terribly enthused.

The Pistons are 2-5 and rank last in the NBA in field-goal percentage defense. Smith is third on the team in scoring (15.3 points), third in rebounding (5.4) and third in assists (2.7). He has made 41.6 percent of his shots, which would mark a career worst by a wide margin.

The Hawks, meanwhile, are 4-3 and are very happy with Paul Millsap, who signed at a bargain price and who is averaging 18.6 points, 7.7 rebounds and 3.1 assists. He has made 55.9 percent of his shots. Heck, he has even made 5 of 11 treys.

Last night was the first time I've seen him play this season and I have to say I still felt bad watching him take those terrible shots. I thought being in his 10th season and experiencing his first change of scenery would make him play a little smarter. At least at the beginning of the season. Instead it seems to have had the opposite effect.