• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Our Non-Guarantees? - Update Cartier Martin Released

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

I still don't get what happened with Cartier. He was playing surprisingly well for the Hawks and then got 'injured in practice' and it's like he was in the doghouse ever since. It's really strange to me because the Hawks have really focused on shooting 3's and Martin fit right in with that. There has to be more to this story.

• Like 3

• Admin

I still don't get what happened with Cartier. He was playing surprisingly well for the Hawks and then got 'injured in practice' and it's like he was in the doghouse ever since. It's really strange to me because the Hawks have really focused on shooting 3's and Martin fit right in with that. There has to be more to this story.

I don't think he was in the doghouse as it coincided with Lou's return to form so Lou got his PT. I preferred Martin as he was hitting open 3s, had some size and played some d.

• Like 1

Man thus was stupid! What's the point of having roster flexibility at this juncture of the season. We let a good player go when this team needs all the scoring possible to keep our head above water in this conference. Martin was having a good shooting season before the injury. He will be in New York or LA. .

The Cost Savings of waiving Cartier:

One roster spot and $455,193 in payroll. This also increases the team's cap space from $1,413,034 to $1,8628,227. So they got that going for them, which is nice. (Salary data from ShamSports.com)

The most the Hawks can offer a free agent is the Room Mid-Level Exception which is worth a starting salary of $2,652,000 as of right now. But once January 10th hits, then this value starts to decrease in value by 1/170th each day. (170 is based on number of days in the NBA season, calculated below).

The Hawks still have the option of signing someone with their cap space and then using the Room Mid-Level Exception.

If the Hawks did not waive Cartier Martin by today at 5:00PM, then Cartier Martin's minimum salaried deal would be guaranteed. A minimum salaried contract for a player with 5 years experience is worth $1,027,424. A nifty trick in the CBA is that an NBA team is only billed up to the minimum salary for a player with 2 years experience ($884,293) and any amount paid in excess is covered by the league. This is a benefit that the NBA Players Association was able to negotiate for minimum salaried players with 3 or more years experience.

I'm not too happy about this. DF better have something up his sleeve. With the way this team has been performing offensively Martin deserved some playing time. He shot 40% from the field and 3pt range. Not a good move.

I'm surprised, too. For someone that did so terrible in preseason, he sure seemed to do well once the real games started. Good size. Decent defense. Can nail the 3 ball. Even with Lou coming back I would've thought CMart would have kept more minutes after he got healthy.

I'm not sure this is a sign that DF actually has something up his sleeve (but I hope he does). "Flexibility" is one of his buzzwords (along with "compete" and "competitiveness"), so it could just be a move to help keep options open going forward.

Combine this move with the interest in Nunally and we have our answer for why C-Mart was waived. Nunally seems like a better option or at least a better flyer than Martin at this point.

My guess is we're about to see a flurry of moves from the Hawks as Ferry sets the team up for 14-15 season.

• Moderators

Cost savings. I think they decided they needed to waive one of their non-guaranteed for the cost savings and the roster spot. Once they decided it was Cartier he went to the bench. No since playing a guy who will be gone right? Hopefully we sign him back if we don't make some other moves.

Cost savings. I think they decided they needed to waive one of their non-guaranteed for the cost savings and the roster spot. Once they decided it was Cartier he went to the bench. No since playing a guy who will be gone right? Hopefully we sign him back if we don't make some other moves.

They didn't save that much by releasing him. The roster spot is far more valuable, assuming we use it. Hopefully we've applied for the disabled player exception and will be able to use that to sign someone of quality.

They didn't save that much by releasing him. The roster spot is far more valuable, assuming we use it. Hopefully we've applied for the disabled player exception and will be able to use that to sign someone of quality.

Thought the Hawks did apply for DPE on Horford? I will be very mad if a good move, not signing some BS D League player, isnt made after cutting C Mart. I thought he did well and didn't get a fair chance.

Thought the Hawks did apply for DPE on Horford? I will be very mad if a good move, not signing some BS D League player, isnt made after cutting C Mart. I thought he did well and didn't get a fair chance.

Nope and I'll post a new topic on this...

http://www.nba.com/hawks/news/hawks-request-waivers-cartier-martin

HAWKS REQUEST WAIVERS ON CARTIER MARTIN

ATLANTA (Jan. 7, 2014) -- The Atlanta Hawks have requested waivers on forward Cartier Martin, it was announced today by President of Basketball Operations/General Manager Danny Ferry.

Martin was signed by the Hawks on Oct. 15 and appeared in 25 games (two starts), averaging 6.6 points and 2.0 rebounds in 17.5 minutes.

Atlanta’s roster now stands at 14.

• Moderators

I was just about to ask about C-Mart! Saw all these other NBA players getting confirmations one way or the other this morning, and was about to wonder aloud, but the Hawks beat me to it.

Good luck, Cartier! You'll have little trouble finding a taker... maybe after you clear waivers, though.

~lw3

Looks like I didn't get that completely right!

Second-best wishes in Chi-town, Cartier!

~lw3