• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

David Aldridge: Scouts love the Hawks' player development under Ferry

PSSSHHHRRR87

• Moderators

I feel the same about the negative effect Josh was having on the Hawks but to me it's not accurate to say he didn't work on his game and improve individually. When he came into the league he was about as raw as you can get. His ball handling and especially his passing improved dramatically. At some point things went wrong and in reality both the Hawks and Josh would have been better served if he was traded two years sooner than he left.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I feel the same about the negative effect Josh was having on the Hawks but to me it's not accurate to say he didn't work on his game and improve individually. When he came into the league he was about as raw as you can get. His ball handling and especially his passing improved dramatically. At some point things went wrong and in reality both the Hawks and Josh would have been better served if he was traded two years sooner than he left.

People seem to forget Josh was a blank slate when he got here. He worked on his game and body during the offseason and tried to improve. The issue is he was tailoring his game to fit the way Woody coached. There was very little player development or discipline during those days. That's why i say the way Smoove turned out is more of an indictment of the Hawks organization than it is of Smoove. All people see is the end product without asking 'how?' or 'why?' he turned out the way he did. I'm fairly certain Josh would've been much better off with Bud here from the beginning.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Why is it that Smith could never have hypothetically reached his potential with Bud. As bone-headed as he is he wasn't a major cancer on the team, he just never was able to put it all together.

Some would like to respectfully disagree with you, myself included.

• Like 1

If we are truly going on hypotheticals if Bud were here, which would suggest Ferry was here too, then they would have never even drafted Smoove to begin with. Coming out of HS he wasnt the kind of prospect they seem to admire. All athleticism with few to no fundamentals to go on

This MB is a joke. How did a thread oozing nothing but positive PR for the Hawks go to Josh bashing? And with the Josh bashing, how soon do people forget? When JJ got hurt, the Hawks kept winning. When Horford went out ANNUALLY, the Hawks kept winning. The Hawks always won the 'expected' amount of wins and some seasons exceeded that. Josh was a CATALYST of those wins. 100%

In the playoffs when JJ disappeared like flow in the Progressive commercial, Josh competed. Yes he had a few bad playoff games but also look at the reffing in the playoffs. The refs ALWAYS called phantom fouls on Josh, whether it was a blocked shot or calling him for charging, they were phantom. Which change any players approach and momentum in a game.

Yes, Josh made mistakes, but questioning his passion, desire, will, and determination is asinine. He continually worked on his game because he wanted to become that all around player. Woody and Drew digressed Josh game because there was no player development and they allowed it. Maybe Gearon as well by comparing Josh as a poor man's Lebron. Posted Image WOW! I am not going to say they encouraged it. But we definitely know player development and developed roles is not something that either of them coached on the floor. I don't know about practice and film rooms because I was not there and don't have an inside man.

Just remember, 'THE $HIT WORKS!'

What a joke Squawk!

Edited by SmooveHawksFan
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

This MB is a joke. How did a thread oozing nothing but positive PR for the Hawks go to Josh bashing? And with the Josh bashing, how soon do people forget? When JJ got hurt, the Hawks kept winning. When Horford went out ANNUALLY, the Hawks kept winning. The Hawks always won the 'expected' amount of wins and some seasons exceeded that. Josh was a CATALYST of those wins. 100%

In the playoffs when JJ disappeared like flow in the Progressive commercial, Josh competed. Yes he had a few bad playoff games but also look at the reffing in the playoffs. The refs ALWAYS called phantom fouls on Josh, whether it was a blocked shot or calling him for charging, they were phantom. Which change any players approach and momentum in a game.

Yes, Josh made mistakes, but questioning his passion, desire, will, and determination is asinine. He continually worked on his game because he wanted to become that all around player. Woody and Drew digressed Josh game because there was no player development and they allowed it. Maybe Gearon as well by comparing Josh as a poor man's Lebron. Posted Image WOW! I am not going to say they encouraged it. But we definitely know player development and developed roles is not something that either of them coached on the floor. I don't know about practice and film rooms because I was not there and don't have an inside man.

Just remember, 'THE $HIT WORKS!'

What a joke Squawk!

It still amazes me and I am not being funny but serious...that anyone on Earth is still a fan of Chuck McChuckerson. How can anyone support the only player I have ever seen in the NBA that continues to do the one thing he can not do well. And he will never change. How can you or anyone else support such a selfish moron?

• Like 1

It still amazes me and I am not being funny but serious...that anyone on Earth is still a fan of Chuck McChuckerson. How can anyone support the only player I have ever seen in the NBA that continues to do the one thing he can not do well. And he will never change. How can you or anyone else support such a selfish moron?

The same way it amazes me, and I am not being funny but serious...that someone who probably has not ever played organized ball on a high level (see what I did there, judge you and don't even know you), has never interviewed anyone within the organization, been a part of the locker, inside information from the coaching staff, can judge someone else's game when they know Hawks past player development was non-existent. Obviously, the coaching staff fostered his game because they did not reign it in. I blame the coaching JUST AS MUCH as I blame Josh. Never said he was absolved of ridicule by fans and media, but take it with a grain of salt. You can reach full potential coming out of high school straight into the NBA without being developed as a player.

And please, Josh is definitely not the worst shooter ever, he was a fringe/snubbed All-Star probably 3 years in his NBA career. So even with 'Chuck McChuckersons' GOD-AWFUL shot selection, he was a good player, enough to make 12+ mil a year and some even considered that an ideal contract.

By the way this board sounds, he was worse than the Falcons Aundray Bruce pick. Get over it my man.

• Like 2

^^^^^^No u need to get over it. Josh is/was trash

Nothing but a cancer who never was a team player. And I can obviously see ur not really a fan of the Hawks if u like him that much. He intentionally played the wrong way

He can kiss my ass. Tell him that, Josh can kiss my ass

Edited by Bonkers
  • Like 1

^^^^^^No u need to get over it. Josh is/was trash

Nothing but a cancer who never was a team player. And I can obviously see ur not really a fan of the Hawks if u like him that much. He intentionally played the wrong way

He can kiss my ass. Tell him that, Josh can kiss my ass

Get away from the edge man! Differences of opinion.

I'm over it. You obviously are not. Sounds like a lot of emotional resentment you have there buddy. You may need to lie on that couch in the corner and tell us how you really feel. Get it off your chest.

I still go to my 12-15 games a year. Still wear my Smith jersey and my Dominique jersey as well as Bell. Please speak on what you are informed on. I have been a Hawks fan since I started playing organized ball at 10. I had put a 'Duke' wave kit in my head just to get my hair like Dominique. PREACH!!

How are you going to tell me what I am and am not? I am a Hawks fan first, basketball fan second. And I like to think that I am a student of the history of the game. I don't get emotionally attached, just a fan.

• Like 4

Get away from the edge man! Differences of opinion.

I'm over it. You obviously are not. Sounds like a lot of emotional resentment you have there buddy. You may need to lie on that couch in the corner and tell us how you really feel. Get it off your chest.

I still go to my 12-15 games a year. Still wear my Smith jersey and my Dominique jersey as well as Bell. Please speak on what you are informed on. I have been a Hawks fan since I started playing organized ball at 10. I had put a 'Duke' wave kit in my head just to get my hair like Dominique. PREACH!!

How are you going to tell me what I am and am not? I am a Hawks fan first, basketball fan second. And I like to think that I am a student of the history of the game. I don't get emotionally attached, just a fan.

Nothing wrong with still defending and supporting your favorite player and if you were a Smoove fan first you'd be a Pistons fan right now. I'm glad you stuck around as a Hawks fan and you've proven you are a Hawks fan first through that.

• Like 1

He was not as bad as folks here try to make it seem. I think people who still 'support' him, for lack of a better word, are simply responding to the over-the-top criticism that still continues. At this point, just get over it. He gone.

^^^THIS^^^

Nothing wrong with still defending and supporting your favorite player and if you were a Smoove fan first you'd be a Pistons fan right now. I'm glad you stuck around as a Hawks fan and you've proven you are a Hawks fan first through that.

That is the thing. I am not a Smoove fan first. I have been a fan of the Hawks since 1990. I tried to tailor my game to Nique's game, even in my early adult life. I used to wear my hair like Dominique, complete with the S-Curl (Duke kit). I was a Hawks fan before Josh even started playing basketball and will be a Hawks fan when Josh retires.

I just 'follow' Josh through highlights now because they don't get much televised air play.

Bonkers is as his name goes, Bonkers. This dude had an emotional breakdown over Josh.

• Premium Member

The same way it amazes me, and I am not being funny but serious...that someone who probably has not ever played organized ball on a high level (see what I did there, judge you and don't even know you), has never interviewed anyone within the organization, been a part of the locker, inside information from the coaching staff, can judge someone else's game when they know Hawks past player development was non-existent. Obviously, the coaching staff fostered his game because they did not reign it in. I blame the coaching JUST AS MUCH as I blame Josh. Never said he was absolved of ridicule by fans and media, but take it with a grain of salt. You can reach full potential coming out of high school straight into the NBA without being developed as a player.

And please, Josh is definitely not the worst shooter ever, he was a fringe/snubbed All-Star probably 3 years in his NBA career. So even with 'Chuck McChuckersons' GOD-AWFUL shot selection, he was a good player, enough to make 12+ mil a year and some even considered that an ideal contract.

By the way this board sounds, he was worse than the Falcons Aundray Bruce pick. Get over it my man.

Actually I played college basketball as a starting point guard. Nothing you said changed anything about why you defend him. No coach is out there telling a player to keep shooting long two point shots or three points when they are horrible at doing it. NO ONE BUT CHUCK MCCHUCKERSON is out there doing that. So please don't tell me you think the coaches are to blame.

• Like 3

Actually I played college basketball as a starting point guard. Nothing you said changed anything about why you defend him. No coach is out there telling a player to keep shooting long two point shots or three points when they are horrible at doing it. NO ONE BUT CHUCK MCCHUCKERSON is out there doing that. So please don't tell me you think the coaches are to blame.

I was a starting point guard as well.

Oh hell yes coaches are partially to blame. Definitely. You play by my system and within your defined roles or you get the hell on and at the end of the bench. If Josh PT diminished, he would either: A) get in line with the coaching or B) become a malcontent and request a trade. No one player should be bigger than the team. It handicaps the team.

I defend him because I'm a fan and feel he takes TOO MUCH criticism from these boards. Nothing more, nothing less. Teague is my favorite player on the team now, followed closely be Milsap. Durant favorite player in the league.

The only fair thing to do is have you two PGs duel it out on the court, no? My money's on SHF. Sothron sounds like one of those light-scoring, facilitator types. Well gentlemen? Let's git it on.Posted Image

I play from time to time at LA Fitness on LaVista.

I used to hit Metropolitan Run-n-Shoot in my hayday. My 'little' brother, my cousin Stanley and I used to give'em hell in that gym.

• Premium Member

The only fair thing to do is have you two PGs duel it out on the court, no? My money's on SHF. Sothron sounds like one of those light-scoring, facilitator types. Well gentlemen? Let's git it on.Posted Image

I was nicknamed "Textbook" due to how much the coaches would call out what I did to the team as the "textbook" way to do things. Also because I was a total nerd in school. Memories.

• Like 1

In an analysis of this season's top 50 scorers, Smoove ranks:

48th in FG%

50th in 3PTFG% (not really 50th, but dead last among shooters attempting at least 0.2 3PTs/game)

49th in FT% (only ahead of Dwight)

That, my friends, is Josh Smith's game in a nutshell.

Posted Image

• Like 1