• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What if any are the long term plans for Mack?

Sothron

• Premium Member

I know the board lately has been about Teague and Dennis but I guess it falls to me ask an elephant in the room question: what do we do with Mack? The guy has been as good as the best backup point guard for any team this year and he's only 24 years old. He's 6-3 and 215 which is a good size for a PG.

I don't know about anyone else but I want the Hawks to keep the guy. I can't help but think other analytic driven GMs around the league that need backup PGs are looking hard at signing him this offseason.

I have full confidence in Dennis but I'd hate to see the team lose a guy as a free agent for nothing. Look at Mack's advanced stats and you'll see what I'm talking about here:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/macksh01.html

Guy is passing the eyeball test and the analytic test. You know some team is going to offer him a deal in the offseason if we don't.

• Like 2

• Admin

Honestly if Mack and Dennis can continue to show improvement then I would try to see if Orlando would be willing to trade Affalo for Jt. Answers needs for both teams ... Pg for the Magic and olipedo gets to start full time and we get a scoring well rounded wing that can also defend.

• Like 1

I think Mack will be an excellent, excellent backup!......well let me change that's he's an excellent excellent role player that should have an affordable contract to keep him around for a long while.I think it benefits the team the most that he is a bigger point guard that won't make a ton of mistakes, fights hard on defense, and can knock down the 3 ball. I wouldn't say he will ever be starter material but he can develop to be a key role player that will be needed.

Honestly if Mack and Dennis can continue to show improvement then I would try to see if Orlando would be willing to trade Affalo for Jt. Answers needs for both teams ... Pg for the Magic and olipedo gets to start full time and we get a scoring well rounded wing that can also defend.

Same thoughts over here...I'm done with Teague..give Dennis and Mack the opportunity and develop those two guys.It's a shame our backup PGs have better defense than our starter. An as far as offense goes Teague isn't too much better than them in that area either.
  • Like 1

I think they rather keep affalo for culture reasons and draft someone like smart or exum.

I posted that already in another thread before I saw this one:

Another fact I want to point out is, that Mack is doing VERY well. I watched most SL and preseason games and I wanted Ivey to stay with the team. Not because I thought he was better than Mack, but because of the fact that I wanted Dennis to get as much playing time as possible. Mack was already doing well at SL and preseason in his limited minutes and that's why I knew he could steal Dennis' minutes...

Teague is struggling a lot right now and so let's hope he earns an All Star spot (but I doubt that). That would be the only chance to boost his trade value for a valuable trade before trade deadline. In this scenario hawks would be able to develop two young PGs on very valuable contracts.

• Premium Member

I would say Mack is a guy you should keep. He's not as athletic as Teague, but he's a much better perimeter shooter and his ball skills (handling, passing) aren't too bad either. But because of Teagues contract and the Hawks desire to make the playoffs, Teague will go back to being the starter and getting the most minutes, Mack will go back to being the backup and Dennis will get buried on the bench again. I hate that, but that's what will happen.

• Premium Member

rd79 - thanks for the sig line posting about how to type Schröder in English. My suggestion - trade Dennis while he still has some trade value, and make Mack and Jeff our pg combo.

Why would you trade the guy with the biggest upside of all the pgs.?
  • Like 1

• Admin

Keep everyone this year and trade Jeff for Derozan in the offseason. Toronto will need a pg by then and Jeff's restriction will expire

Derozan would be a terrible pickup...a stats guy that is more worried about getting his then playing a team game

I think they rather keep affalo for culture reasons and draft someone like smart or exum.

Olipedo is their future at SG and I am sure they are going to after Wiggins or Parker as they should have one of the top 3 picks.

Derozan would be a terrible pickup...a stats guy that is more worried about getting his then playing a team game

Olipedo is their future at SG and I am sure they are going to after Wiggins or Parker as they should have one of the top 3 picks.

Who is this Olipedo guy you're talking about?? Posted Image

I've never been an Afflalo fan, but he's in a different league than JT this year. Can't defend worth poop, but with 20+ ppg on 47% shooting, the Magic aren't gonna give him up for just JT.

• Admin

I've never been an Afflalo fan, but he's in a different league than JT this year. Can't defend worth poop, but with 20+ ppg on 47% shooting, the Magic aren't gonna give him up for just JT.

What are you talking about?? He is an excellent defender

JT is a quality starting point guard and answers their needs perfectly. I wouldn't just trade JT except for the play of our two PGs and the fact that we need a good wing.