• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Game Day Today, or No?

lethalweapon3

Wow hope the family are okay. I have family who just moved to Atlanta this year from Maryland and they were saying loads of people had to sleep in their cars, which is incredibly dangerous as they basically become an ice box once the fuel is gone.

rMy husband finally made it home at 11:08 - 22hrs. Spent the night in the car - was starting run low on fuel but thank God he made it.My sister is still out there (what trooper) - she starting walking a mile to the Camp creek exit and got halfway there and realized they were finally starting to clear the roads. She is back in he car and toasty warm - 1/4 tank of gas left. Her husband is at home with their 24 month old sin and going crazy, he feels helpless - said he won't eat until she does (she had some grapes and scrounged up a granola bar from the bottom of her purse). This has been an absolute nightmare. I didn't sleep a wink.

• Moderators

And to think the new mayor of New York caught shit over not closing public schools due to 10 inches of snow, what's the backlash against the ATL mayor and Georgia governor going to be like?

They're getting grilled like salmon right now in their joint press conference. Unfortunately for either of them, they couldn't control the various schools who decided to put all those kids out there knowing the weather system was arriving mid-day. They're absorbing some of the PR hits that should really be directed at the Supers.

Governor Deal is pointing a bit of a finger at the Feds (NWS forecasts), claiming they could have forecast worsened conditions earlier so area governments (and the state) could have acted quicker. NWS' updated Winter Storm Watch arrived before 4 in the morning yesterday, though, so I'm not sure that argument will hold water. Either way, a Governor and Mayor directive would've kept just a few thousand non-essential municipal and state employees home, not enough to severely impact the traffic gumbo that transpired. The busloads of schoolkids, and their rightfully concerned parents leaving work, scampering around the roads in mid-day did have an impact.

~lw3

We dont get stuff like this very often. When we do it pretty much shuts the Metro Area down. I know some people who have been sitting on the Interstate since yesterday. Add on to the fact some f'ing morons thought it would be a good idea to have school yesterday. We knew this storm was coming for several days and the metro area is never prep for any Snow Storm. You had Children stranded in buses out on the side of the street for countless hours.

• Like 1

My wife left downtown yesterday about 1 and still is not at home. Made it to the lobby of a hotel at midnight, which offered free food and blankets. Basketball is important, but there is a much more entertaining game going on now - the Blame Game. By the time this is over we will have figured out how we screw up the last snowstorm, the current one and how we will screw up the next snowstorm that hits the city.

Meanwhile, we really need a name for this one. We had SnowJam 82, Snowmaggeddon 2011, and I'm thinking the "YetiApocalpse 2014.

BTW - the entrance to my subdivision looks like a scene from the Walking Dead with empty cars pointed in all directions.

#Snownado

• Like 1

They're getting grilled like salmon right now in their joint press conference. Unfortunately for either of them, they couldn't control the various schools who decided to put all those kids out there knowing the weather system was arriving mid-day. They're absorbing some of the PR hits that should really be directed at the Supers. Governor Deal is pointing a bit of a finger at the Feds (NWS forecasts), claiming they could have forecast worsened conditions earlier so area governments (and the state) could have acted quicker. NWS' updated Winter Storm Watch arrived before 4 in the morning yesterday, though, so I'm not sure that argument will hold water. Either way, a Governor and Mayor directive would've kept just a few thousand non-essential municipal and state employees home, not enough to severely impact the traffic gumbo that transpired. The busloads of schoolkids, and their rightfully concerned parents leaving work, scampering around the roads in mid-day did have an impact. ~lw3

In NY once public schools are closed it's the unofficial work is "optional" for everybody declaration.....even if you don't have kids...so most non essentials who can't commute strictly by mass transport get to play hooky. The mayor's office here took over control of the board of ed. from the school chancellor a few years back so he's solely responsible for closing public schools or delay openings/early dismissals and essentially the whole state follows suite excluding the western cities and towns such as Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse who say go f*** yourself for anything less than 30" of snow.
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Aside: Tech Athletics noted earlier they don't want anyone coming to the Thillerdome game (tonight vs. UNC) unless you can walk to it (free for students w/ a valid BuzzCard).

ESPN2 cancelled airing the Tech-UNC game, "safety of the crew" reasons.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

• Moderators

~lw3

• Like 1

Thanks for the farewell gift Stern...smh..wow

dude is just a front running prick.. I hope the NBA culture changes away from stars being everything to a more NFL type of team 1stModel.. The NBA is dumb , the team focus model would draw more small market fans in with top market fan bases , but with thatsaid they will just continue to screw small market fan bases with superstar treatment..
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Glad to report my brother made it home today after his car was stranded in a bank on the side of a road and he ended up spending the night in a bowling alley (unfortunately no food) and then spent the next day in a waffle house.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Glad to report my brother made it home today after his car was stranded in a bank on the side of a road and he ended up spending the night in a bowling alley (unfortunately no food) and then spent the next day in a waffle house.

Glad he's alright. Waffle House was a consistent MVP from the past couple nights. Stayed open no matter what.

~lw3

• Premium Member

I'm glad he made it alright too! What a tough situation for Atlanta metro area..Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by turnermx